40 Million Fire Extinguishers Recalled

charlier

Today a recall was announced involving 40 million Fire Extinguishers manufactured by Kidde. The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017, including models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015. Be advised that some of the recalled Extinguishers were sold under names other than Kidde (ie Fuller Brush, Honeywell, Montgomery Ward, Sears and other names).

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Product Safety Recall Information

Be advised that the link above has the list of recalled  extinguishers. It also lets you submit your request for a replacement extinguisher after you provide your name, address, the model extinguisher and serial number. It verifies that your extinguisher is being recalled and submits your request for a replacement.

If you do not want to submit your request on-line you can contact Kidde via telephone to find out if a fire extinguisher is included in the recall or to get a replacement :   

Contact Kidde at (855) 271-0773 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday (excluding holidays), or between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the weekend to determine whether your extinguishers are affected.

When I got home tonight I checked and I have at least 2 of these recalled extinguishers and possibly 1 more.

Given how many AACA Members have Fire Extinguishers for their vehicles, I have no doubt that some AACA members also have extinguishers that are being recalled.

Edited by charlier
more information (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thanks for the heads up Charlie. Just checked mine and I have a couple of the affected ones. Submitted the serial numbers, new ones on the way. 

2 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Thanks for the heads up Charlie. Just checked mine and I have a couple of the affected ones. Submitted the serial numbers, new ones on the way. 

I just turned my 2 in, too. Thanks for the quick links.

8 hours ago, GregLaR said:

.....and, just found another one! I've shared this info on all the automotive sites I'm on.

Thanks for spreading the word about this very important recall. I too shared this information with family members and other friends that have old cars that have extinguishers.

I just submitted two extinguishers I have under the recall. I have another one with the plastic handle that is just like the two I submitted that is not listed on the recall. I will probably call the phone number on the web site to ask about that extinguisher.

12 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Excellent point you have pointed out to other car owners . I have heard some Firemen where trying to put out a car fire and the person died because of the poor extinguishers ?

The manufacturer's link in posting #1 has a link

to the announcement by the U. S. Consumer Product

Safety Commission:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and#.Wfr3FggcNkQ

That commission states,

"Kidde Recalls Fire Extinguishers with Plastic Handles

Due to Failure to Discharge and Nozzle Detachment: One Death Reported"

and further claims,

"Hazard:  The fire extinguishers can become clogged or

require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate

during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach

with enough force to pose an impact hazard.

Remedy:  Replace

Recall date:  November 2, 2017

Recall number:  18-022"

• Like 1

What a cheap looking piece of junk. Millions of people wanted cheap protection they could keep for decades.

Put in the hands of untrained, price conscious buyers. And it took almost 50 years to figure it out?

My Dad died about five years after they started making them. I would sure hate to sit down with him at dinner tonight and tell him i was involved in making or selling those. There's a thought for the boardroom.

Bernie

I have inspected, and recharged fire extinguishers for about 12 years now.  I tell people to get a good quality extinguisher with a METAL top and an actual GAUGE.  It is not that much more money and you, your family, and your property depend on it.  Most people after explaining the realities of a fire, GET the idea.  But pretty soon their cheap side sets in and they buy the cheapest piece of crap they can find.  The other part of the equation is that it is a neccesary ugly.  That means that if you or someone else have to look for it - its useless. Get at least a 5 lb extinguisher, MOUNT it on the wall near the entry so it is accesable.   By the time they get there, the only thing the fire department will be able to do is hopefully save your neighbors house.  Your home will be uninhabitable, and maybe even unsaveable. A whole lot of heartache and regrets.  The exts offered by the big box stores are made in CHEENA and are also junk.  They can not be serviced and parts are not available in this country.  We carry halon, or halotron in our old cars.  The ABC type extinguishers are extremely corrosive.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, a sell said:

I have inspected, and recharged fire extinguishers for about 12 years now.  I tell people to get a good quality extinguisher with a METAL top and an actual GAUGE.  It is not that much more money and you, your family, and your property depend on it.  Most people after explaining the realities of a fire, GET the idea.  But pretty soon their cheap side sets in and they buy the cheapest piece of crap they can find.  The other part of the equation is that it is a neccesary ugly.  That means that if you or someone else have to look for it - its useless. Get at least a 5 lb extinguisher, MOUNT it on the wall near the entry so it is accesable.   By the time they get there, the only thing the fire department will be able to do is hopefully save your neighbors house.  Your home will be uninhabitable, and maybe even unsaveable. A whole lot of heartache and regrets.  The exts offered by the big box stores are made in CHEENA and are also junk.  They can not be serviced and parts are not available in this country.  We carry halon, or halotron in our old cars.  The ABC type extinguishers are extremely corrosive.

Do you have a link to the ones you recommend? 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Do you have a link to the ones you recommend?

That is the same thought I had.

I read the recall and the incidents related. People are generally stupid, especially when it comes to parting with their "hard earned money". (Personally, I have never owned a nickel of hard earned money)

From the recall " approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage." That's out of millions. I hope the minor burns didn't keep them from putting 5 pounds of junk on their Chevy Cobalt key ring.

I think it is shameful that Kidde would manufacture and market such a cheap piece of junk "just because people will buy them", but that is just my moral upbringing. Many times I have been told I am too honest to own a business. I have also been called judgemental.

I would be inclined to recall the purchasers and ask them what other dangerous decisions they have made. I bet if five group photos of 16 people were spread out on a table in front of me, I could pick out the group who got injured. When it comes to people nothing is hidden very deep below the skin.

I am kind of chuckling. Here it is church day and I just got home, writing this. Maybe we need a flood.

Bernie

I have three being replaced. I called Kiddie and gave them all the info, pretty easy to do. They're sending replacements with instructions for the return of the recalled ones. Usually the way it works is when you get the replacement, you put the recalled one in the box the new one came in. Kiddie includes a return label to put on the box and then UPS comes to pick it up. No cost involved in getting it done.

1 hour ago, Doug Novak said:

I have three being replaced. I called Kiddie and gave them all the info, pretty easy to do. They're sending replacements with instructions for the return of the recalled ones. Usually the way it works is when you get the replacement, you put the recalled one in the box the new one came in. Kiddie includes a return label to put on the box and then UPS comes to pick it up. No cost involved in getting it done.

Thanks for the information.

I saw on another truck forum that a forum member received 2 of the 4 extinguishers he requested today after only 7 days.

I would imagine that how quickly one receives a replacement may depend on the model of extinguisher involved among other things.

I have 3 replacements on the way - one of mine same model, but supposedly not affected

need to check 8 others plus son, daughter, and grandson's Tahoes, and also each of the 3 enclosed trailers

• 3 weeks later...

And it happened again. Four fire extinguishers just arrived. One problem: capacity is the same but is about 2" shorter than my others and I am supposed to return in the "inner box" which is too short for it. And naturally the office is closed. Oh well I now have four new extinguishers.

I just called one in this week that I found in my Dad's old shop over Thanksgiving. The gauge showed it was dead which is probably why it was left behind when the shop was cleaned out. It was not on the official list but figured it would only take a phone call to double check. Answered all the questions and the nice lady said it was part of the recall and a new extinguisher would be shipped in 10-14 days.

So if you have a plastic handled or push button extinguisher that matches one of the recall brands, give them a call it might be on their list even if it isn't on the published list.

• Thanks 1

I got the replacement for the first one I called in. I called the other 2  in after I got the first replacement. Should see the replacements this week. Pretty painless and easy process getting it done. The return label that comes with the replacements and has a phone number to call, FedX or UPS. They schedule a pickup, leave the return boxes at the front door with the return label on the boxes, and they're gone next day.

I had two fire extinguishers that were part of the recall. Yesterday I had just one delivered by Fedex. It was twice the size of either one of my old ones. What was odd is the Fedex guy was driving a Budget Rental truck.  I guess I will have to call Kidde again to see what happened to the other one if it doesn't show up soon.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:01 PM, ejboyd5 said:

Still waiting for mine - it's been almost one month.

It has been 32 calendar days (20 business days) since I did the on-line request to have two of my extinguishers replaced. Friends of mine (and fellow AACA members) told me last weekend that they have received 2 or 3 of the 12 replacements they are waiting on. They filed their request a few days after I did. As far as I can tell there does not seem to much rhyme or reason as to how requests are being processed. Then again, it might be related to the availability of replacements for a certain model/size extinguisher. Who knows.

I have been seeing that some people are reporting receiving a larger replacement extinguisher than the one they returned under the recall. I am guessing that some of the recalled extinguishers are no longer being made hence the larger replacements are being substituted. 

On 11/30/2017 at 8:34 PM, Ronnie said:

I had two fire extinguishers that were part of the recall. Yesterday I had just one delivered by Fedex. It was twice the size of either one of my old ones. What was odd is the Fedex guy was driving a Budget Rental truck.  I guess I will have to call Kidde again to see what happened to the other one if it doesn't show up soon.

There seems to be a disconnect between the people handing the recall requests and the people (I assume Kidde) who are shipping the replacement fire extinguishers. 

Yesterday I called Kidde (855-271-0773) to inquire why I had only received one of the two replacement extinguishers I had been promised. After a long wait I was told they didn't have shipping information and that I needed to call Customer Service (1-800-880-6788) for help with shipping questions.  When I called Customer Service I went though their phone menu system that is intended to discourage you from calling, and then I listened to terrible music for thirty five minutes before hanging up . Just what I have came to expect from all Customer Service numbers.

I called the Kidde recall number again and  told them that I had reported one defective fire extinguisher that I had already received and I needed to report another one that was on the recall list. They took the information on the second extinguisher and told me I would be receiving a replacement in 10-14 days. We shall see. They never mentioned that i had already reported the same fire extinguisher.

I think both the recall request and the shipping departments are overwhelmed with calls and have no idea about what is being shipped or when it is being shipped. I don't think they care if the extinguishers are the same size as long as it is similar to the defective one. The first one I got was twice the size of the old one it replaced. I'm just hoping that I will get a second one shipped to me no matter what the size.

I received all four requested on Thursday. None of my old extinguishers fit in the new boxes (too tall). Old and new are all 2A10BC. Called both numbers. Was told they were just an answering service & Real People would contact me. RSN

GOOD INFO ...Just checked my extinguishers, most good with metal handles but one is affected and will be replaced

Another is "not affected" but shows EMPTY - so I will refill or replace it

Something I would not have thought of doing at the moment...!!!

I'm also going to pass this info along to my local antique car club here in Mass

Thanks for posting ...!!!

Remember, Life's too short to drive boring cars !!!

Tom Y.

www.midstateaac.org

On 12/6/2017 at 7:15 PM, padgett said:

I received all four requested on Thursday. None of my old extinguishers fit in the new boxes (too tall). Old and new are all 2A10BC. Called both numbers. Was told they were just an answering service & Real People would contact me. RSN

Today I received both of my replacement extinguishers today. Both are the 2A10BC models (6 pound) to replace my recalled 1A10BC models (3 lb 8oz) with plastic handles and plastic pull pin.

Both of the replacement 2A10BC extinguishers have metal handles, a metal pull pin and a metal mounting bracket.

The Kidde boxes that both of the new extinguishers came in are too short for the recalled, longer extinguishers I have because the replacement extinguishers are shorter and have a larger diameter tank.  I just put my old extinguishers in the shorter Kidde boxes so that the head unit is in the box and the bottom of the tank sticks out. the open end of the box.  Then I stuffed some old newspaper in the box around the extinguisher so it does not rattle around and used packing tape across the end of the open Kidde box to keep the extinguisher from sliding out of the shorter box. Even though the extinguisher sticks out of the Kidde box it still fits inside the outer shipping box surrounded by the packing peanuts.  I took the photo below before I put the remaining packing peanuts in the shipping box and sealed it. It is hard to see the packing tape over the open end of the box but it is there.

This worked for me and may or may not work for others depending on just how much longer your extinguishers is compared to mine. I can say that over the years I have been judging at AACA Meets I have seen 100s and 100s of extinguishers just like mine on the show field so the above packing might work for other AACA members with the same extinguisher I have.

Kidde Return Packaging.jpg

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

When I put my serial numbers in, the site said mine were ok.  3 weeks later 2 new ones arrived anyway.

What is the right thing to do in that case? Do you box up the ones that are still good and send them back? I think I may be facing a similar situation if I get all the replacements that I've been told would be sent. They don't seem to know what they are doing.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What is the right thing to do in that case? Do you box up the ones that are still good and send them back? I think I may be facing a similar situation if I get all the replacements that I've been told would be sent. They don't seem to know what they are doing.

That’s what I did.  I packaged up my old ones (I bought them less than a year ago) and sent them back just as the instructions said.  They did have the plastic pins and the replacements are metal.  Otherwise they appear identical.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2017 at 7:15 PM, padgett said:

Had a similar problem and decided not to worry about it, it's Kiddies' problem and on them. I doubt that it matters and put the too large for the Kiddie Box in the box and taped it with packing tape then put it in the shipping box with the peanuts around it. I did call Kiddie and they said they were aware of this problem and indicated they were handling thousands of returns which to me says they wouldn't be getting to a solution for this for awhile. What can they do about it if something happens when returned, nothing I think and doubt that it's a major problem.  One other interesting thing is they sent a nice Trigger Handle type to replace a less expensive Button Type recalled. Sounds like they a discontinuing the Button Type.