Sign in to follow this  
QTRiv

'63 RIV SPEEDOMETER REPAIR: TRANSMISSION?

SPEEDOMETER REPAIR: NECESSARY TO REMOVE TRANSMISSION?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and really impressed with the wealth of knowledge here! Our family '63 Riviera's speedometer is not working. The local shop says it must drop the transmission to repair. Is that necessary? Thanks!

I would rule out other possible reasons first before dropping the transmission unless it has been properly diagnosed that that is the source of your issue.  What are they saying is the cause?

Thank you for replying. I called. They suspect the gears at the transmission end of the cable. They don’t need to drop the transmission, but estimate 2.5 hours to get to the gears. They say they need to see the color to know which part to order. Any further comment would be great!

I'd try a new cable first. I bet its broken at the transmission end. All 63's had the same cable I'm pretty sure. Available at CARS, OPGI and a few other suppliers. I decent wrench could install in one hour. PRL

Meant to say...A decent wrench...meaning a decent mechanic. I'm a shade tree guy and I did it in 1 hour and two beers. PRL

Find another transmission shop . It takes about 10 minutes to get the gear out to see if the teeth are stripped - if they are I may have the gear . Very simple job . Its a common problem . I have 18 tooth gear .

@petelempert thank you, broken cable seems possible too

@Mr Riviera thank you, transmission shop is the next stop! I saw in another post that putting in Reverse moves linkage out of the way. Sound right?

Most likely a stripped driven gear. If your '63 is like most it will have a 3.23 gear ratio requiring a 17 tooth gear, hard ti find. IF the gear is stripped look for other problems causing it or you will be looking for another. Many '61 & '62 Full Size cars also had 3.23 rear gears so don't count them out.

Tom T.