neil morse

Neil's '41 Super Model 51

Neil, over 40 years ago I painted the firewall-mounted factory heater on my 1939 Cad--which now lives two blocks away--with a rattle can whose color was named "Brown Cow"--a perfect match to the oirginal  Since I never throw anything away (as you can attest, having seen my shop), I probably still have the end of the can and can give you the brand.

Maybe you're right. Here's my Century's heater before I restored it with some original paint still on it (note that it's textured like a crinkle finish).

P1010107.JPG.9d1d42f461d36646cd30f502b11871fd.JPG

Here's how I finished the parts with powdercoating:

Heater_Parts2.jpg

I think you're not too far off and it will look good under the dash. Nice crisp, detailed look.

Thanks, George.  "How now, brown cow!"

Your stuff looks great, Matt!

Let the Games Begin

I've got my new forward harness and no more reasons to delay, so I'm starting in on my rewiring project.  First step: removing the front seat and associated hardware to provide a comfortable space to work.  I can now lie on my back with my feet on the back seat -- hmm, might be a good time for a nap! 😜

frontseat3.thumb.jpg.be9021c3e2750d8780a195ab82507d0f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Did you mean destructive?;)

Ben

Haha -- I thought of that very thing.   But first we have to pull things apart, and then put them back together.  So I guess "destruction" is "productive" at this stage.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Another "productive/destructive" day.  I got the entire old harness out of the car.

oldharness.thumb.jpg.c3366986679d03ece1f7473aee162ae0.jpg

Now I have to figure out what to do about several modifications to the standard wiring in my car.  Previous owners have used "modern" wiring (some of it quite substandard) to install fog lights, an electric fuel pump, a starter button, and Pertronix ignition.  I want to upgrade the wiring for these features, but I have to decide the best way to do it.  I saw today that Bob's sells fabric loom in various sizes by the foot, so my thinking now is that I will fabricate my own "oldtimey" wiring looms for these features.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Rewiring Old Sockets

The new front harness I got from Rhode Island Wiring Service requires that I re-use two sockets from the old harness -- a six pin socket that connects the front harness to the rear harness, and a three pin socket that connects the turn signal wires from the front harness to the wires coming out of the steering column.  Here's what the six pin connector looks like:

plug1.thumb.jpg.9774077fee89dbd4730de2cb62ba64ba.jpg

To open up the connector, I had to very carefully pry up the little ears -- first with an Xacto and then a small screw driver.

plug2.jpg.b1f27589d3dc5ec04a7c341fd9a3bba1.jpg

The connector then comes apart like this:

plug3.jpg.1bf7fa83c68941e224de7404a0933ff6.jpg

Since I was a little intimidated by the soldering job (because I'm assuming finding replacements for these things would be very difficult), I decided to start with the three-pin one first.

plug4.jpg.6594b03713b6f3ce9401f40e711fdacd.jpg

First I carefully desoldered the old wires and used some solder wick to soak up the old solder and clear the holes in the contacts.

plug5.jpg.5df8178a21348f255bdcc52be6bffc74.jpg

RI Wire provides very detailed and excellent instructions on how to hook everything up.

plug6.thumb.jpg.d0f762e17684211ff4eea356a2d8e654.jpg

Strip off a bit of insulation ...

plug7.jpg.cd20bf12a4f774cf8092503da2e4aa54.jpg

And resolder the wires according to the diagram.

plug8.jpg.ea5fce27594ae3fa4e5d5a85abed5151.jpg

Slip everything back together and crimp back down the ears, and job's all done.

plug9.jpg.36dfe8c8e306d850799cd232f59399fb.jpg

Not as bad as I thought, and I'm ready for the six-pin job next.

• Like 7

Really nice work, Neil. That kind of stuff isn't my strong suit and I feel intimidated every time I have to grab a soldering iron. You're doing a great job!

• Like 3

Aren't those fresh, bright wires awesome? I almost feel like wearing gloves when I'm working with new wires like that just so they don't get dirty. My Limited has a new harness in it, but some hack with greasy fingers (not me, amazingly enough) not only made it filthy but chopped and cut it so it would fit the way HE decided it should. Ugh.

Good wiring is one of the single most important things on an old car, both in terms of function and safety. If there's ever a problem in the future, this is going to make your life (or someone down the line) a lot easier.

Haha -- that is so funny because earlier today I was upset with myself because I had handled some of the beautiful yellow wires of my new harness with my grubby hands and put some smudges on them.  I wanted to clean them off, and then I thought -- wait a minute, what?  This wiring is going to be under the dash and no one will ever see it.  But it was the defilement of the sacred new wire that upset me!

I totally agree on the safety factor.  A few days after I bought this car, I took some photos by sticking my phone camera under the dash.  I was so appalled by what I saw that I immediately went out and bought a cut-out switch for the battery.  I wasn't about to leave that car in the garage (under my house) with the battery hooked up.  That's what has been the essential driving force behind my rewiring project.  Doing it with an authentic harness like the one produced by RI Wire is just the icing on the cake to me.

• Like 2

Your work is looking good, Neil. I put a new harness in mine at the end of the restoration. The original was patched, spliced, and disconnected in various places, and I would of been afraid to actually drive it!

I got mine from Harnesses Unlimited, and it too, seemed to be a quality repro.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks, Keith and Bloo.  I did the 6-pin connector today.  It was a bit trickier than the 3-pin because the contacts are close together, and there's a lot to stuff back in the housing when you're done, but it was basically the same job times two.

• Thanks 1