Replace the Dynaflow

Guest herkamer

Guest herkamer

I would like to replace the dynaflow in my 55 Buick with a late model automatic. Anyone know of an adaptor available that will work on the 322? Thanks

Hooking a more modern GM transmission to the engine is one part of the "battle". How do you propose to deal with the rear of the transmission and the torque tube drive/coil spring rear suspension without completely fabricating a custom setup?

Perhaps a later model DynaFlow would be a better alternative? Maybe one from the earlier '60s that might have had some production/operational improvements in the process? On a '62 chassis Buick LeSabre, it is possible to do that as Phoenix Transmissioin (Greg knew exactly which parts to get from the salvage yard and such) did a swap to a Turbo400 for one of our club members that really unleashed the power of his Buick V-8, but doing the same on the year of Buick you have might be a different issue due to the torque tube/coil spring rear suspension.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest herkamer

Thanks for you respons NTX5467. I am planning on changing to an open drive line. We ejoy driving the car but the dynaflow is not very satisafactory so I would like to be able to change to a more reliable and better performance automatic transmission. I am not sure what is available in the way of adaptors. My first car was a 1955 Buick Century when I was 16 and I changed it over to a standard tansmission and I could do that now but I prefer an automatic. You may have a point and I have been told that maybe a later model Buick transmission would adapt to the 322. I am waiting for more ideas or maybe someone out there has already done this???? Thanks