26 franklin trans.

rjp

Do you have the key for the lock?

Is the lock unlocked?

This won't work if the lock is locked (I found that out the hard way with a lock for which I had no key at the time).

There is a hole in the front of the lock housing - you have to push a thin punch in through that hole to press the lock plunger backwards - then you can slide the lock housing up the gear lever and get it off the top.

Roger

Edited by theKiwi (see edit history)

Yes, but you need a much smaller punch than ¼" - the hole that goes through the gear lever shaft is much smaller than that - you have to reach through the gear lever shaft to press the lock plunger.

Once you have that then the lock housing can slide upwards.

Roger

I had to drill the pins out also. 1 pin takes the cover plate off, that worked. The other pin I drilled out but can not get the cylinder to move. May I ask what you did or did yours fall right out? HaHa. Soaking with penetrating oil right now.

It's pressed in there - there are a whole bunch of dimples on the cylinder to make it a tight fit.

Get a decent sized hunk of brass, sitting on a solid surface (like an anvil or good solid bench) , and then bang the lock upside down on it repeatedly in the area where the hole for the gear lever shaft is until the cylinder starts to slide out.

I don't know if that's the official way, but it worked for me.

Roger