What is this sensor?

Summershandy

Can anyone identify what this was/is? It's at the back of the '54 straight 8 near the firewall. Below it to the right is my temperature sensor. The other owner installed an aftermarket one along with a gauge.  The original is coiled up under the dash and is for another discussion. This housing seems to be attached by a threaded connection. I'd like to remove it and just curious what it was for. 

IMG_6614 - Copy.JPG

Well you guys are right. I plugged it in and heard it start to sizzle a bit. I also finally found a pic of one for sale on Ebay. I don't know how well it works and will never be driving the car in the winter but, I love the nostalgic of it. I've never heard or seen one before. I'm just going to clean it up and maybe make a cover for it. I'm sure when I lift the hood many other will ask what it is like I did. Thanks! 

Obviously they were specific to L head engines and did work as well as the block heaters that replaced a core plug. I had a heater that went into my bottom rad hose, it was next down the list as far as efficiency went and the dipstick heaters were the poorest.  As both my 53 Buick and 30 Pontiac started okay at -45 degrees without being plugged in I saved electricity and never plugged them in again.