Nick Galente

Valve Cage Removal

I did the same thing. But my valve cage hit a roof rafter and bounced to the side and landed in the pig trough. We never found it until maw broke her tooth on it when we were eating hog jowls one morning.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:20 AM, DonMicheletti said:

With that much carbon, it must have been a real oil burner. Shot rings.

The "old style" carbon removal was to get it on TDC, stick a lit oxy acetylene torch in the sparkplug holes and when the carbon lights, turn off the acetylene  and let it blow until the carbon is gone.

I heard this many times years ago, but never tried it.

Sounds dramatic.

No problem with everything being cast iron.

The first time I read this I didn't catch that we are leaving the oxygen on and just turn off the acetylene only, and let the oxygen blow on the smouldering carbon. The old books I have just say light the carbon with a match and when it catches, blow oxygen on it, same thing. I wonder if an air gun would work (don't have oxy-acetylene here).

I think the oxygen sustains the burn. Air might be worth a try, but I have my doubts.

Through the years I have heard quite a few "interesting" ways to remove carbon.

The oxygen carbon removal process is not just a "shade tree mechanic" approach. I checked my 1927 Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia. It goes into great detail about the oxygen carbon removal process and says that Prestolite made a carbon removal kit.

That sounds pretty professional and common.

It does mention that sparks will shoot out of the sprkplug hole, so be aware.

6 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

The first time I read this I didn't catch that we are leaving the oxygen on and just turn off the acetylene only, and let the oxygen blow on the smouldering carbon. The old books I have just say light the carbon with a match and when it catches, blow oxygen on it, same thing. I wonder if an air gun would work (don't have oxy-acetylene here).

If you're that interested in trying this, Bernzomatic makes a cheap ($60-70) torch that uses canned oxygen and MAPP gas.  You might be able to use one of those setups.