1989 trans discussion

handmedownreatta

If you have a 1989 service manual, you can go into diagnostics and should be able to see if the converter is locking, it might even tell you what gear you are in.

It is a little tricky driving and doing the diagnostics so I suggest you get someone else to drive and you play with the diagnostics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i would love to swap in a five speed like daniel did.

What he did was way more than just a "swap". A simple R&R for the service would be way easier. It isn't such a big deal- unless you get into what I had to do; then it starts costing money and time.

I've had a few morons criticize me, saying "I took too long to do a simple trans swap". Even with it documented on video- they can't wrap their heads around the scope of it all.

It failed in early January, -10*F, 3.5 ft. snow on driveway. Had it towed 1/4 mi to house. It sat until April 2nd, before I could shovel it out- to even see what happened. It was completed on 07/24.

3 months, almost $1000 in parts. Car drives like new.

Working outside, Upstate NY Spring weather, removing rusted parts, underbody fabrication & welding (my Friend who has a service), ordering parts, searching for a nice low mileage transmission, receiving the wrong one at first, fabricating an engine brace- then R & R- all by myself. Subframe cleaning, painting. Subframe bushings. Ball joints. Fabricating 3 Body nuts. New axle seals, TTC O-ring, filter & fluid, drain & refill TC, Knock sensor. Degreasing and painting engine, transmission, and underbody...

In a garage, air tools, a Friend to help- just the transmission- sure, maybe 1 day.

mines not my primary transportation.if it dies i will have triple a tow it home where it can sit years if needed.i just found out today that my van may be MUCH cheeper to fix than i was hoping.i might go the route of building a bullet proof auto like the other guy did.id like to be able to tow a camper.

• Like 1

I just use plain WalMart ATF, have for many years. I'd stay clear of synthetics in a 29 year old OE automatic transmission, and those "high mileage" formulations tend to plug up passages. Do not drain "excess" fluid. Pour in a bottle of Trans Tune (Sea Foam), jack it up, run it reverse and drive at 1k RPM (use IAC OVERRIDE) about 30 minutes. Let sit overnight, drain, new gasket, seal & filter. Have on hand more fluid than needed. I use Trans King filter, nice rubber gasket. AC Delco is also decent. 3M spray adhesive on pan. Keep an eye on fluid level, it will burp out air. Plain ATF to run, no additives.

ecadc676-169f-4470-9479-1cf76eb94398_1_4a07a43f26939c33499310dc07512a67.jpg.36e2f44af92ce431c5885bfe2db46b08.jpg7120021_sef_tt16_pri_larg.jpg.8444b06ad4c0d6d2b54ddb932e175ad7.jpg