1990 Buick Reatta oil gauge

Zcrowley5549

(On my '89) The oil pressure sending unit/fuel pump switch is located on the top-left corner of the timing chain cover, threaded vertically into the cover, near the firewall. The oil level sensor is on the radiator side of the engine oil pan, mounted in a bung. They perform two totally different functions.

59f3d2d85218d_OILLEVELSENSOR.png.dfef59c4f13c12c86ba77ca6f8cb968d.png     59f3d33a99594_OILPRESSURESENSOR-FUELPUMPSWITCH.png.c5ee84d2eeba0d9ea776e27e442601a5.png

OIL LEVEL SENSOR                                            OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT / FUEL PUMP SWITCH

The gage on all years is the oil pressure.

The oil level sensor is a warning light.

It is also somewhat common for the oil pressure switch to give bad readings...also remember the cars are 26+ years old and you will need to replace a few things as they get older.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i try to buy only ac delco.most new parts are junk.

Unfortunately- "name brands" mean very little now days. Whether it be car parts- or green beans, there's only a handful of companies who make products. About 25 years ago- there was a gardening implement factory in Frankfort, NY. My Friend worked there, and I was meeting him after work. I got there early. He asked me to wait near a production door. I was amazed- rakes, shovels, spades, pitchforks, etc. all on assembly lines, and different labels being applied; ACE, True Value, Sears- to the same products.

Autos now days are compiled from all over. Because of our Government- the EPA has forced companies out, who pollute somehow when producing certain things. Most plastic and rubber fabrication is in China and Mexico, Most quality bearings have always been produced in Brazil and Argentina- but China is even sweeping those jobs away.

A car like our Reatta is impossible to create in 2017 America, with the same parts it was Crafted from in '88-'91. Was there one Chinese part on a Reatta? Were there any "Aftermarket" parts available in 1994 ? No. The best GM could do- was a "3 year-30,000 mile" warranty. Only Chrysler could do better in 1988 (Wikipedia) : "All thirteenth generation New Yorkers, as well as the reintroduced flagship 1990-1993 Imperial, were covered by Chrysler's market-leading "Crystal Key Owner Care Program" which included a 5-year/50,000-mile limited warranty and 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty. A 24-hour toll-free customer service hotline was also provided"

Could GM do that- even for their $28k "Halo Car"?

Who was the Member here- who bought multiple EGR valves- only to have them dead out of the box? I just had to replace a rear wheel bearing/hub, that was <6yrs old, <5k miles. The most you're getting on a part now days is 1yr/12k miles, unless otherwise specified.

Not necessarily. You could have great luck with a part, and have it last many years. It seems that "electronic" parts are really a crap shoot now days.

Sure- a Tablet totally blows away the Reatta CRT; but how's that Tablet in 25 years? And is there going to be a person like Eddie Voland who repairs your Tablet?

Are there even going to be "cars" in 2047?

Will owners of 2017's be scurrying around, searching for some obscure but necessary part?