Show me your Foliage!

victorialynn2

15 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

John, take a look at the first photo.

There's nothin' like raking 6 inches of pine needles off your lawn! And when they mix with the maple leaves and then get rained on...oh my achin' back!

Second and third photos:

"Every fall a hillside along Oregon’s highway 18 greets passersby with a massive smiley face formed by trees. the design, created by Hampton Lumber in 2011, features a mix of Douglas fir and larch planted during a reforestation of the area. the larch trees have been organized in such way that during autumn, their needles turn yellow, creating the body of the face while the Douglas fir makes up the eyes and mouth."

pine forrest.jpeg

forest smiley 1.jpeg

forest smiley.jpeg

That's right down the road from me and I have never seen it.

I am going to have to get out more often.

Do you recall the approx mile post?

16 hours ago, Pfeil said:

OH ?????

How to Get Rid of Pine Needles [4 Efficient Methods] | Pepper's Home &  Garden 

and don't park underneath, can this can be just as good as hail damage!

Amazon.com: Unscented Pine Cones Large for Crafts - 12 Pinecones Bulk -  Natural Ponderosa Pine Cone! : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Also, have you ever tried to get sap off your 5k paint job?

Best Ways to Pick Up Pine Needles: The 8 Most Effective Methods » Turf  Mechanic

I've got fifteen pine trees,

and four large scrub oak, the evergreen oaks shed leaves and acorns all year round. Rain , snow or blow.

Oak Tree Help

image.jpeg

Touche, sir!  Point taken.  In my derfgence I should say that I have three fir trees and one ponderosa pine on my standard city lot, all about 60 feet tall. I don't rake up the pine straw.  Never have in the 36 years I've lived here.  I turn the soil under the tree over in the spring and plant acid loving vegetable. I co collect a shopping bag of pine straw every spring which I use as a campfire starter ion combination with hand sanitizer.  The pine cones and sap aren't an issue because my driveway iOS on the other side of the yard.

In an area which is mostly coniferous trees we do have one deciduous tree which is only found ins the Pacific Northwest coastal area from the British Columbia lower mainland down to about Reading in California.  In an otherwise green environment, the vine maple provides a vibrant splash of colour, mostly yellow with some orange and red.  Too late for a photo though.  The leaves are large and a wind storm last weekend basically stripped the vine maples in my neighbourhood .   

On 10/26/2021 at 12:40 PM, JACK M said:

She's still around.

She didn't get the retractable out this year. 

Wouldn't run right, I put a set of plugs in it  and got it smoothed out but

I think she is now having battery problems.

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for my absence. I’ve been busy with work and taking care of my daughter who was in a car accident last year. The summer flew by so quickly and the Ford hasn’t been out. 

Thanks for posting again this year, I love the pics. Jack is correct, I’ve been having issues with the ‘57 and waiting on some help to get the battery checked. It’s a 4 year old Optima and I think it’s dead. Also need to test it after Jack put plugs in it. She tends to have issues with a rubber fuel accelerator on the carb, so could be that also. Was running rough this spring and I haven’t gotten her sorted out yet. I also seem to have issues in the spring when I store her full of non-ethanol. I don’t think she likes it. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, f.f.jones said:

John, take a look at the first photo.

There's nothin' like raking 6 inches of pine needles off your lawn! And when they mix with the maple leaves and then get rained on...oh my achin' back!

Second and third photos:

"Every fall a hillside along Oregon’s highway 18 greets passersby with a massive smiley face formed by trees. the design, created by Hampton Lumber in 2011, features a mix of Douglas fir and larch planted during a reforestation of the area. the larch trees have been organized in such way that during autumn, their needles turn yellow, creating the body of the face while the Douglas fir makes up the eyes and mouth."

pine forrest.jpeg

forest smiley 1.jpeg

forest smiley.jpeg

This is only about 20 minutes from where I live. 

Didn’t get the Ford out, but do have some pics. I grew up with dad in New Hampshire and had these trees planted when I had the house built in 1991. Fall is my favorite season. Oregon isn’t as colorful, but we do have some pretty color. Took my daughter for a ride the other day to see some color. 

58231005-F76B-4B21-8260-F468FD4D4EE5.jpeg

5B44C003-13D2-48FD-8524-98E9B865E3F6.jpeg

AAEBB5B5-B200-4C03-A2CB-E78662257583.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 12:38 AM, victorialynn2 said:

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for my absence. I’ve been busy with work and taking care of my daughter who was in a car accident last year. The summer flew by so quickly and the Ford hasn’t been out. 

Thanks for posting again this year, I love the pics. Jack is correct, I’ve been having issues with the ‘57 and waiting on some help to get the battery checked. It’s a 4 year old Optima and I think it’s dead. Also need to test it after Jack put plugs in it. She tends to have issues with a rubber fuel accelerator on the carb, so could be that also. Was running rough this spring and I haven’t gotten her sorted out yet. I also seem to have issues in the spring when I store her full of non-ethanol. I don’t think she likes it. 

Sorry to hear about your daughters accident, hope she improves. The leaves have just not really changed yet hear on Long Island, it's been pretty warm. It's not the same with out my four legged riding buddy since he passed on looking for leaves, but I will give it a go next week and see what I can find with my new ride.

Here is a picture from last year with my buddy Sammie and my 50 Chevy. The Chevy went on to a new owner, I needed the space for my new/old ride and Sammie went to doggie haven, I do miss him a lot! 

IMG_1966.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, John348 said:

Sorry to hear about your daughters accident, hope she improves. The leaves have just not really changed yet hear on Long Island, it's been pretty warm. It's not the same with out my four legged riding buddy since he passed on looking for leaves, but I will give it a go next week and see what I can find with my new ride.

Here is a picture from last year with my buddy Sammie and my 50 Chevy. The Chevy went on a new owner, I needed the space for me new/old ride and Sammie went to doggie haven, I do miss him a lot! 

Sorry to hear about your loss. My Patsy is getting older and so are my kids dogs. I wish they lived longer. 💕

• Thanks 1

I did not want a dog for that reason, they just don't seem to live long enough. I was visiting my Father in Florida 15 years ago and when I came home he was here. I miss the drives with, but I did get to enjoy that time with him. Hopefully I will get some good color shots this week. The weatherman says we are going to have some good weather all next week starting on Monday, so I should get some good fall photos. I am going to head up to Teddy Roosevelts House about 20 minutes away I always manage to find some great trees changing color around there

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John348 said:

I did not want a dog for that reason, they just don't seem to live long enough. 

You got that right!

I've never had a pet of my own, but I do know at least three individuals/couples who's dogs I've seen go through their complete life cycle, and it makes the time go by very fast.  In each instance, I vividly remembered holding  and petting them when they were first brought home a rambunctious small puppy when they had to be put some 20 years later old, frail and tired all the time.

Craig

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I apologize for not having any antique car in the picture. But here in the peoples Republic it is 60° blue sky and zero humidity. Really the only reason to ever wanna live here. Of course it rained all week up until this morning.

94E6B1D7-BB01-4143-803A-0ABD0D75F383.jpeg

Al where exactly are you? the weather you describe is half the country this past week, by the way the color on trees are nice 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, John348 said:

Al where exactly are you? the weather you describe is half the country this past week, by the way the color on trees are nice 

35 miles west of Boston.

Tree to the right is a sassafras,  directly in the middle is a river birch and the taller one to the left is a maple tree.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

The Gold Coast of Florida..........here is our fall foliage.........looking through the windshield of a Phantom II.

9F666DAE-5FDE-4CB6-B3CC-254CA372CBE0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The forecast says it will get below freezing tonight, took a break from bringing plants in and getting ready for what we know comes next......  a quick jaunt around the neighborhood and back roads before dark. 

I’ll console myself later with a glass of wine and daydreaming on Zillow at houses in warmer climates.

0E0CD1ED-1C0F-48EF-8295-CDEF2E03A0B9.jpeg

• Like 5

Likely last roadster ride this year, sorry for driveway pic, but we took our aging dog with us, my wife rode in the rumble seat - a fun run around town. 

Fresh 50/50 coolant today and ready for winter semi sleep unless I get lucky with leaves and weather in the next 2 or 3 weekends!

20211031_155732.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Likely last roadster ride this year, sorry for driveway pic, but we topk our aging dog with us, my wife rode in the rumble seat a fun run around town.  Fresh 50/50 coolant today and ready for winter semi sleep unless I get lucky with leaves in the next 2 or 3 weekends!

20211031_155732.jpg

She looks great Steve! Is it just me or do they seem to run the best they have all season on the last ride before you put them away?

• Like 3

My 58 Rambler Six 2 weeks ago at the Black Hills in Western SD. Lots of pine trees in this part of the country but a few orange and red spots are seen in the Fall. I must say that this thread shows that the colors are good, the cars are better and the two together are the best pictures we can get.

1958 Rambler at the Black Hills, SD.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Likely last roadster ride this year, sorry for driveway pic, but we took our aging dog with us, my wife rode in the rumble seat - a fun run around town. 

Fresh 50/50 coolant today and ready for winter semi sleep unless I get lucky with leaves and weather in the next 2 or 3 weekends!

20211031_155732.jpg

Shame on me that it took me years to figure out that coolant needs to be changed (50/50) every 2 to 3 years or any engine with aluminum is going to be in trouble.

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Shame on me that it took me years to figure out that coolant needs to be changed (50/50) every 2 to 3 years or any engine with aluminum is going to be in trouble.

AJ two things Model A guys will discuss endlessly are oil and coolant approaches.  Supposedly straight water cools better but this car doesn't run hot.  Was nice to see what came out was not really dirty.  But three or four seasons of topping off with water dilutes things a bit another thing to keep in mind if your driving a bit. 

Protection to -20 or -40 is a safer feeling than -5 or 5 above here.  We get a few sub zero nights every year even in central CT. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You want me to fly down and teach you how to start that?

🤔 Let's see, you're gonna teach me something about a car?  We will have to make a video and post it here. It would certainly be entertaining. 🤔

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Doctor's Pontiac said:

My 58 Rambler Six 2 weeks ago at the Black Hills in Western SD. Lots of pine trees in this part of the country but a few orange and red spots are seen in the Fall. I must say that this thread shows that the colors are good, the cars are better and the two together are the best pictures we can get.

1958 Rambler at the Black Hills, SD.jpg

Great Photo!