Show me your Foliage!

victorialynn2

Last week-end, our AACA region had its annual

Fall Foliage Tour.  Leaves were colorful, and there

were a lot of yellows around where I live.

Somehow, the camera never captures nature's glory

in all its resplendence, so the colors look more muted

in the picture than they really are.  But here is my

1957 Buick Century 4-door hardtop, a car which I

bought as my first antique right after I graduated:

1957 Buick--Autumn 2019.JPG

• Like 7

These pictures were taken three days ago, near Grandfather Mountain, NC and close to the Eastern Continental Divide.. The colors are just past their maximum at this elevation, but still pretty. At higher elevations the leaves have fallen off the trees. At lower elevations, they haven't quite reached their peak yet. The car is a 1966 Morgan Plus 4 dropheaad coupe. Last night we had a storm rip through, the temperature dropped to 27F, the leaves all blew off and we had a dusting of snow.

Phil

IMG_0875.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 9.57.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 9.57.55 PM.png

• Like 8

I'd call that a 1935 Cadillac, Phil. I guess you know me a little, and understand I have a degree of interest in Cadillacs here. Could you tell us a little about the car and it's history, please ?  Any other Autumn  pictures of it ?      Thanks,      -    Cadillac Carl 

Hi Carl,

You are quite correct, it is a 1935 Cadillac. The body is a Fleetwood town sedan, Series 30. Mine is a V8, not the more desirable V12, but I love it.  The 146 inch wheelbase has caused me to relearn my pre-power steering driving skills.

I am still sorting out a few mechanical issues but, by and large, it is a very solid car. It has a surprisingly high axle ratio, (4.60/1) so comfortable cruising speed is only 45 to 50 mph. I’m guessing these cars were designed for town use. On the windy mountain roads where I live, it is a handful, but the power assisted mechanical brakes are excellent. I have never been impressed with ride control, but this one seems to be properly sorted out. It makes a big difference on bumpy country roads.

According to information provided by the former owner, the car was originally sent to the Cadillac Automobile Company of Boston. It then went to California, where it remained until the 1970s, then to New Jersey. Ishowed up in auction in 2013, then again in 2017, where the previous owner apparently purchased it. Originally, it was painted Cathedral Grey with Vincennes Red wheels. At one time it had wheel disks.

I don’t have any more recent fall pictures, but have attached a few from last year.

Phil

Cad (8:3:19) 1 copy.png

Cad (8:3:19( 3 copy.png

MyCar (11:3:18 2 copy.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I am sorry for the hard times that have fallen on you.:lol:

I had 51 years of shoveling, plowing, and sanding. I don’t miss it. 👍

• Like 3

In northwestern Penna. the foliage has been white.

Though I moved from that part of the state, a friend

said they got 7 inches of snow this past Wednesday.

(Yes, friends, there are some of us who like winter.

Lake-effect snow means that they average 80 inches a year,

and driving in snow is routine.  However, on this hill,

one car wishes he had 4-wheel drive to get out of the ditch!)

Weather-1100x763.jpg

• Like 1

Foliage in my area had a very short peak, with about a quarter of trees not changing color much at all.  But as I worked on picking up all the fallen foliage in my yard, my Brill bus was actually a big help!

Earlier that day, I had dressed her up to commemorate her service stateside in the Korean War:

EAECEBE3-80F4-4A7C-ADDC-54DE532E1CF2.thumb.jpeg.192699cd3eca04ea2695eedb881383a8.jpeg

Then got to work raking the lawn until after dark.  By bus headlights!

7BA134B0-2482-4313-A0D1-936859AA79C0.thumb.jpeg.6abe7fe39673ed4232079e37e85fd952.jpeg

As I sat in the driver’s seat to shut off all the lights, I couldn’t help thinking of Linus in the Charlie Brown Halloween special:  CHAAAAARGE!!!

6F73DEE2-71DB-4984-81FE-E38BDEC2F33F.thumb.jpeg.2744ef56599e78a88192c1c0df9a0516.jpeg

• Like 3

With snow predictions on Monday, decided to clean up leaves yesterday especially on the driveway to avoid getting caught up in the snow blower.

IMG_6238.thumb.JPG.9f244ee1f41d25c3751355acc3350084.JPG

With that completed we had what the weatherman predicted today.

The car Fall season is over.

Next....

197354504_SCOFIELDAVE-FIRSTSNOWOFSEASON-Nov112019-pic2.thumb.JPG.281240f5ea52671c055d97bf3202df56.JPG

• Like 2

Over the years, I've noticed how quickly the color in

the landscape changes.  A week prior to peak color,

one sees lots of green and not much yellow, orange, and red;

a week after peak color, one sees half the trees bare

and the color subdued.

So timing is everything.  But when peak color arrives

in the areas that get it, how spectacular it is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1