Stromberg DXC-3 Carburettor

Vic Cheeseman

Can anyone advise me please!  On overhauling a Stromberg DXC-3 carb. for my 1931 Chrysler CD8 Deluxe convertible coupe I noticed that there is a threaded hole in the base of the fuel bowl which leads into a metering jet. The thread doesn't  appear to have been used so I wonder what should be there (if anything). 

P1030445 (800x600).jpg

• 3 months later...

DXC-3 is one of the few Stromberg 30’s carbs I have not had my hands on. All my books are up north, so I can’t check on them anytime soon. The most important thing is not to guess, Carbking will chime in and give you your answer. Be sure to remove ALL the channel plugs and clean the passageways out. Most of the time they have never been removed, even when rebuilt by “professionals”. Recently at Hershey, one was for sale, and a Chrysler friend bought it, his comment was “they weren’t that great of a carburetor”, having never rebuilt or ran one, I have no opinion. Stromberg stuff of the era was usuall decent to very good. You have a cool car, take your time and dial it in, they run like the wind. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I haven't been into one of these for probably 40 years, and I don' t remember.

Only the really hard-core restorers put any of the D series Strombergs back on an engine. The D series was Stromberg's first attempt at a downdraft carburetor, and they used updraft technology. Stromberg freely admitted all of the D series carb had major issues, and when the E series came out, Stromberg issued an E series replacement for ALL original equipment D series carbs. Most of them were replaced in the early 1930's because owners enjoyed driving their cars. On top of that, the D series REQUIRE some special service tools (can be fabricated) to disassemble and assemble (main discharge nozzle requires a special tool).

Here is a link to the original Stromberg literature for the DXC-3 used by Chrysler for only a few months:

Stromberg DXC-3 used on Chrysler CD

Jon.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, edinmass said:

DXC-3 is one of the few Stromberg 30’s carbs I have not had my hands on. All my books are up north, so I can’t check on them anytime soon. The most important thing is not to guess, Carbking will chime in and give you your answer. Be sure to remove ALL the channel plugs and clean the passageways out. Most of the time they have never been removed, even when rebuilt by “professionals”. Recently at Hershey, one was for sale, and a Chrysler friend bought it, his comment was “they weren’t that great of a carburetor”, having never rebuilt or ran one, I have no opinion. Stromberg stuff of the era was usuall decent to very good. You have a cool car, take your time and dial it in, they run like the wind. Ed

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, hwellens said:

Cannot answer your specific question, but, attached is some data that may help with your rebuild.

Chrysler Carb.pdf

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, carbking said:

I haven't been into one of these for probably 40 years, and I don' t remember.

Only the really hard-core restorers put any of the D series Strombergs back on an engine. The D series was Stromberg's first attempt at a downdraft carburetor, and they used updraft technology. Stromberg freely admitted all of the D series carb had major issues, and when the E series came out, Stromberg issued an E series replacement for ALL original equipment D series carbs. Most of them were replaced in the early 1930's because owners enjoyed driving their cars. On top of that, the D series REQUIRE some special service tools (can be fabricated) to disassemble and assemble (main discharge nozzle requires a special tool).

Here is a link to the original Stromberg literature for the DXC-3 used by Chrysler for only a few months:

Stromberg DXC-3 used on Chrysler CD

Jon.

A friend has now fully overhauled the carb, the engine has also now been overhauled so once it's back in the car it'll be fingers crossed how it runs. I guess if it's disappointing I'll be looking for a later carb. 

On 20/02/2018 at 3:28 AM, carbking said:

when the E series came out, Stromberg issued an E series replacement for ALL original equipment D series carbs. Most of them were replaced in the early 1930's because owners enjoyed driving their cars.

Would you be able to point us to any information on these replacements? I am interested in the DX-3 as fitted to 1930 Dodge Brothers 8 cars. Mine has a cheap aftermarket Tillotson YR-2 fitted, although I have the original DX-3 (which makes the car burn about 1/3 more fuel). Thank you for any pointers you can give.

The original replacement would have been an EX-32 used on the early to mid 1930's Chrysler. These are quite a bit superior to the DX-3, but are greatly in demand, thus expensive.

If it were my car, I would look for the later BXV-3 (Dodge started using them on the 230 CID in 1942). The B series Stromberg (opinion) is one of the finest of all single barrel carbs, and not overly pricey. Should be very close to a bolt-on swap, other than the original air cleaner, which will probably require an adapter, or run the better later air cleaner as well.

This link explains the Stromberg model coding:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Strombergcodebreakdown.htm

Note that your DX-3 is a model D, with cross-flange and a size three throttle body.

And the BXV-3 is a model B with cross-flange, a vacuum controlled power system (better fuel economy) and a size three throttle body.

Just noticed you are from New Zealand, where Strombergs may be difficult. Here is a link that gives actual part numbers to look for:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kdodge.htm

Note the 1942 with 230 CID 6 cylinder used a BXV-3 part number 3-76. The identification number is stamped (recessed) on the air horn (top) casting, looking straight down on the air horn along one of the sides.

There are many options better (opinion) than your Tillotson. If you have difficulty finding the Stromberg, let me know, and will try to figure out a more common option.

Jon.

4 hours ago, carbking said:

There are many options better (opinion) than your Tillotson. If you have difficulty finding the Stromberg, let me know, and will try to figure out a more common option.

Thank you for your reply. It will be a while until I have had enough of a look around to decide I can't find one of them.

Spinneyhill.........send a email to pierceparts@aol.com      he had a BXV-3 a few months ago, and probably still has a few more. The EX-32 is in high demand, and depending on size and application they can easily run 2500 dollars US.  The BXV-3 wont be anywhere near that kind of money. Also there are some Carter carbs in the 50's that will be direct bolt on replacements  but I am not familiar enough with them to give you numbers. The Carters will be very inexpensive, as there is very little demand for them.  He may also have some Carters on hand. Ed