53 Skylark barn find

31Buickroadster

11 hours ago, 195354 said:

Mike will you stick with the hydraulic system for the windows and seat, I have heard of the windows being converted from hydraulic to an electric set up. I have not seen a car converted yet.

Keep posting pictures like to see how you are doing.

Steve     

Thanks Steve.....I'm going to stay with the Hydraulic system through out the car.....top, windows, seat.

I did go with a more modern vacuum brake booster though......I bought it from a company in Arizona I think.....A little bit of fabrication but it looks like it's going to work fine.

Mike

Thanks for the "Rust Defender"  info.

I spent the first 25 years in central Indiana, so I have some base for rust on cars,  but tend to forget how bad it can be.

I am in the process of putting a 1965 Corvair back on the road and by most standards it is in very good condition,  just need the rubber replaced.   I had to replace the factory undercoating which was mainly in the wheel wells and

starting to come off.......I chose to go with the material they use for Pick-up beds .....got a do it yourself kit and the only thing I don't like is it is too shiny.... hope it last as long as the original,  but I will never know.

Over here in Canada all the cars I've seen came with the rubberized asphalt undercoating and most of it is still intact to this day.

If you want to save money, you can start with 'roof glue' on flat areas, and then use 'asphalt crack filler' to spray crevices.

This stuff is exactly what was used back then, and it's extremely durable, and I've used it for years, in the snow and sludge of Canadian winters...and it's not shinny

On 11/17/2018 at 8:24 PM, Barney Eaton said:

For those of that live in the south and do not have "rust" ......what is rust defender

That might be pronounced rusty fender? Lots of those in the banana belt of MN!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 5:15 PM, Our Buicks said:

Thanks guys for weighing in on the top color.......

I went searching for blue 1953 Skylarks with white or a black top.........founds lots of white and only a few with the black top.....

Check this one out.....it might be Glacier Blue with a the black top but,......it's not as bad as I thought it might look....what do you think?

image.png.589a927076569dfece2fd5799cf19378.png

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

The black top against the blue is contrasting and very sharp. Quite frankly you will find that you will have the top down most of the time. The 53 Skylark is striking with the top down and looks much longer, lower and sleeker that way.

Best of luck with your restoration.

Glenn

• Like 1

The base coat/clear coat went on the car today.....so far so good.

The Reef Blue is a little darker than my camera shows here.....I'm happy with the result so far.

I'm looking forward to trimming the car now.....and getting a nice black top on the car.

I can't wait to get this driver out on the road!!

mike

IMG_2624[1].JPG

IMG_2626[1].JPG

IMG_2625[1].JPG

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

On the subject of top color, there is a plus to keeping it the original black, as far and $value$ goes to a collector down the road.

But...here is just my two cents. A convertible is meant for summer driving, whether the top is up or down. Therefore, I believe all convertibles should be a light color: white, cream yellow, light green, champagne beige or, in your case, the best color for 53 Skylarks, reef blue. (I never understood why someone would own a black convertible. Would be like a rolling frying pan.) The top should then be WHITE, not black, for the reason already mentioned of the heat absorption on sunny days. The original buyer may have regretted choosing black after driving it awhile. Plus, I doubt you will be neglecting regular cleaning of the top after you spend dearly for a new one properly installed. Plus, I think the inner wheel wells on your car should correctly be painted white. If you want to see what a 53 Skylark looks like finished in reef blue, with a white top, white wheel wells and a blue & white interior, you can find one posted on YouTube. Just type in "1953 Buick Skylark" to view one that was later auctioned off for north of $100,000.00.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post a few progress pictures......

The rust repair and the body work really blew a hole in my budget....so I have to go with the best trim and chrome I have and keep looking for better pieces as time goes by.....I wish I had better finishing trim for this car, but the goal was always to make a nice driver out of her.

Friends come into the warehouse where I'm working on the car and they all say WoW! what a cool looking car....There are none on the road here so nobody ever sees them....I can't wait to get this on the road....

The tires are off an Eldorado that came in and the rims I bought used about the same time as I bought the car.....

So far so good, hydraulics are in but un-tested, lights all around are working, brakes are in......I have to keep punching and get the car done......

mike

IMG_2681[1].JPG

IMG_2687[1].JPG

IMG_2683[1].JPG

IMG_2693[1].JPG

• Like 6

I'm into the wiring of the car and the harness is pretty much wrapped around my neck at this point......

Lights are working all around......horn is good.....hydraulic pump hums when I push/pull the convertible top switch......

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the window switches and the top for the Skylark or the Roadmaster convertible?......I can't find it in the 1952 shop manual or the 53 supplement.

Thanks,......Mike

Edited by Our Buicks (see edit history)

On 10/31/2017 at 9:59 AM, tom61 said:

When I got my Desoto, it was worst than this car.It was completely rotted inside ,and the whole outside was completely rusted.Big holes around the fenders,also full of rust, and when I got it, it only had the engine in the engine bay. All the electrical was missing.

For 15k, I'd gladly take on this car....If only I had the money....

If you do have interest in having it restored by me, I'd be happy to send some before/after pictures of the Desoto.

Yeah, I know the chrome is in bad shape, but from what I know, chroming is really expensive.

Good chrome is expensive and cheap chrome costs even more when you have to do it the second time. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/27/2021 at 3:47 PM, FireballV8 said:

Hi Mike

Car is looking good, have you made any more progress? Your car is the closest body number I have seen to mine, which is body# 1103. 

Steve

Thanks Steve.....not alot of progress on the car....but I did have the black top put on in keeping with the body ID tag....

I am driving the car lot and am having a good time with it !!!    Lots of thumbs up everywhere I go !!

I'm saving my pennies for more improvements like chrome and a better interior etc....

Here are a few more pictures of the car....Where she started just after the auction....I'll tell ya I almost gave up a couple of times thru the process....

And a few pictures recently.....

Mike

my 1953 skylark.jpg

603.JPG

604.JPG

605.JPG

606.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:02 PM, 195354 said:

looking good Glad you pushed through on the project. I love that you are driving it around.  

How many people can say, I had a Buick Skylark drive by today. 

Steve 

Agree wholeheartedly!  

The original factory custom.   

Ben

• Like 1

Mike:

Your car is looking stunning!

I recall an earlier post about the preference of a white top as to heat absorbtion. When I had my 1969 LeSaber convertible (black top) where we lived in the Monongahella valley put out a lot of sulfur coal fall out from the steel mills, factories and powerplants. Not to mention people who still had coal furnaces. A white top had to be cleaned weekly and the car only brought out on perfect days. A friend had a beautiful Verde Green 1970 Electra convertible with a white top in excelent condition. Because of the local atmospheric conditions he had it changed to a black top.

Friends of mine in the Mason-Dixon club went thru nearly 8 years of a maddening deal whereas a restoration shop promised to complete a stalled 53 Skylark project to order for the fellows wife. She wanted Reef Blue. The shop promised to have it done for the 2013 BCA meet in South Bend and win GOLD at that event. Well, after 8 years of not much progress my friend was able to get out from under the deal and now the car is being completed in Maryland by another collector in his facilities.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, dibarlaw said:

Friends of mine in the Mason-Dixon club went thru nearly 8 years of a maddening deal whereas a restoration shop promised to complete a stalled 53 Skylark project to order for the fellows wife. She wanted Reef Blue. The shop promised to have it done for the 2013 BCA meet in South Bend and win GOLD at that event. Well, after 8 years of not much progress my friend was able to get out from under the deal and now the car is being completed in Maryland by another collector in his facilities.

8 years !!...We all hear this story all too often.

What does the restoration shop owner tell the car owner after his car has been sitting in his shop after 3 years? 5 years?     Never mind 8 years !!

I'm hoping you can expand on that poor Skylark's owners story.....maybe we can all avoid the same pitfalls by seeing the same red flags.......Unbelievable !!

Thanks, Mike