Steering box interchangeability

Not knowing for sure, but my gut suspicion is that it might be '54-56, but not anything newer than '56.  Innards of the box might be the same or similar, but different mounting to a different frame configuration and/or steering column set-up.  Just my suspicions and no more.

NTX5467

On 10/22/2017 at 7:38 PM, 1956322 said:

It's looking like 56 only sighs

I'm not up to speed on dilemma? Changing to power, bad power steering sector? Replacements hard to find? ???

On 10/25/2017 at 3:08 PM, 1956322 said:

The box is a Buick only one year only item.. You can find a reseal kit for it but that's it no other parts.. And replacement boxes aren't easy to find let alone in good shape

And I don't know how to check the one I have as it's already out of the car. Any tips on checking? It's still attached to the front frame clip I purchased for the uprights, which are a handling upgrade for my 1955 Cent. I could take it to Lares lair, their locals(sp?), but I'm hearing and have some personal experience about some dubious repair results. I'm in Mpls, MN. Guess I've got another learning opportunity coming!

55 minutes ago, 2carb40 said:

And I don't know how to check the one I have as it's already out of the car. Any tips on checking? It's still attached to the front frame clip I purchased for the uprights, which are a handling upgrade for my 1955 Cent. I could take it to Lares lair, their locals(sp?), but I'm hearing and have some personal experience about some dubious repair results. I'm in Mpls, MN. Guess I've got another learning opportunity coming!

That's how to check for play :P

Seems like there is a Vicky Blue thread on here about adapting a newer box.  It does take some fab and such.

Remember, too, that back then, EACH GM division was its own entity.  Few common parts, typically, mechanically.  Some were similar, but not exactly the same.  Unless it's going to be a "points car", might be best to go ahead and do a quality conversion to a newer gear. 

Many have found their existing boxes to not be rebuildable.  Shafts with seal wear grooves, for example?  Mechanical wear on the guts of the box?  Not adjustable?  Might this be a new "cottage industry" not completely related to Tri-5 Chevys?  Maybe some thin stainless steel sleeves (as on timing dampers?) and revised matching seals?

NTX5467