drain seal

Sid Hiatt

I have a 55 Buick Century and the transmission is leaking at drain plug for the trans, can anyone tell me the ID and the OD of the bronze drain gasket would like to have one when I remove the plug to reinstall . Bob parts has them but wont send me just one.  Thought if I knew the size might get one local.

Thanks----SID

You might head to a local auto supply and look in their HELP! section for a copper gasket of the correct OD, or one of the later metal ones with a rubber inner seal made into it.  Engine drain plug gaskets would probably work, rather than looking for a trans-specific application.  Copper might be better, but the white plastic gaskets were used on engine drain plugs before the later metal/rubber items appeared, and after the copper gaskets were used.   I never did like the pressed-paper type of gasket as once it starts to wick oil through it, it needs replacement. 

For something as generic as a drain plug gasket, it can be less expensive to use local sources.  Many have started to use the copper gaskets again, in some cases.  Perhaps the Hometown Buick website might have some drain plug size information in the service manual area?

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Sid Hiatt said:

I have a 55 Buick Century and the transmission is leaking at drain plug for the trans, can anyone tell me the ID and the OD of the bronze drain gasket would like to have one when I remove the plug to reinstall . Bob parts has them but wont send me just one.  Thought if I knew the size might get one local.

Thanks----SID

18MM ID.   Yeah,  I know that's weird....................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2