radiator leak idea?

thehandleman

1 minute ago, Bhigdog said:

Take the radiator to a good radiator shop and have it soldered. Anything else is a hit or miss band aid. If your band aid fails then you have complicated the shop doing a proper repair.......Bob

This is true.

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Take the radiator to a good radiator shop and have it soldered. Anything else is a hit or miss band aid. If your band aid fails then you have complicated the shop doing a proper repair.......Bob

If any of you guys know of oldschool radiator shops that still can reliably service radiators by soldering holes, removing tanks and headers, rodding out, etc.... I would love to hear about it. They are getting hard to find.

It seems many shops are simply sales outfits for cheaply made replacement whole radiators, or if not they seem to want to sell whole cores on every job.

My favorite shop (R-E-R in Bellevue, WA) focused on rebuilding radiators. They are long gone. If there are any shops like this left, please post name and location. Maybe we can send them some business!

29 minutes ago, Bloo said:

If any of you guys know of oldschool radiator shops that still can reliably service radiators by soldering holes, removing tanks and headers, rodding out, etc.... I would love to hear about it. They are getting hard to find.

It seems many shops are simply sales outfits for cheaply made replacement whole radiators, or if not they seem to want to sell whole cores on every job.

My favorite shop (R-E-R in Bellevue, WA) focused on rebuilding radiators. They are long gone. If there are any shops like this left, please post name and location. Maybe we can send them some business!

There is a shop near me in Holyoke ma. The guy just sits around all day and has few customers. I once asked him how he survives on the little work that he gets. His answer took me by complete surprise! 

He said that he is a retired 747 pilot and this is just a hobby.

He does great work!  (Tony's radiator shop)

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Make sure you ask about their experience. I recently had a blocked radiator cleaned by a shop but he couldn't solder the top tank back on. It leaked. It turned out he bought the business not that long before (a year?). I got a recommendation from another in the club here and that man has been in radiators for 30 years. He fixed it, although it wasn't a trivial repair and wasn't cheap.

11 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Make sure you ask about their experience. I recently had a blocked radiator cleaned by a shop but he couldn't solder the top tank back on. It leaked. It turned out he bought the business not that long before (a year?). I got a recommendation from another in the club here and that man has been in radiators for 30 years. He fixed it, although it wasn't a trivial repair and wasn't cheap.

There are only three types of work performed

Good, fast and cheap. but you can only get two of them at the same time!

21 hours ago, mrspeedyt said:

i read somewhere that GM used bars stop leak by the railroad boxcar load on the production line. 

I am told that there is a can of Bars Leak included with the Target Master crate.

L & S Radiators Richmond, VA

All the others I used in the past in this area have closed.