1929 Chev 194 main cap check ball ?

theterrym

Hi everyone I have yet another question about my 29 engine.

I have been soaking the cap and blowing out the drain hole many times over the last month. cleaner always comes out clean yet I can shoot fluid both ways

which would lead me to believe the check ball is stuck or just not there.

What would you recommend as my plan of attack?59eb6df023cc2_maincap.thumb.jpg.df1fefbd9d5c676178adf4dda876a594.jpg

I am working on my 1929 as well, tons of Info and REALLY GOOD Chevrolet Help on the VCCA

Since you are talking check ball ?? this would be the rear main ??

is the lil rod still in front of the slot ?? Main Bearing Check Ball

if the rod is gone then the ball is gone, that is what holds the ball in the groove.

I can blow brake cleaner both ways in mine as well but i can see the ball. concept was that the check ball would prevent the oil from coming thru if on an incline. most people i know have drilled it out !! Look in the repair manual and there is a diagram of how it works.

40 minutes ago, BearsFan315 said:

I am working on my 1929 as well, tons of Info and REALLY GOOD Chevrolet Help on the VCCA

Since you are talking check ball ?? this would be the rear main ??

is the lil rod still in front of the slot ?? Main Bearing Check Ball

if the rod is gone then the ball is gone, that is what holds the ball in the groove.

I can blow brake cleaner both ways in mine as well but i can see the ball. concept was that the check ball would prevent the oil from coming thru if on an incline. most people i know have drilled it out !! Look in the repair manual and there is a diagram of how it works.

This indeed is the rear main.  Thanks to you I now know what it loos like. I searched the VCCA, but didn't find the info there for this particular topic. I have found so much good info there. The rod is gone so as you know the ball is gone as well (at least I know now). Since you said most people drill it out should I just put the cap back as is and not worry about it? I dont think Ill be driving up to many hills.

I Agree with Gunsmoke, most drill it out and move on. this allows for complete circulation of the oil and no clog issues.if it clogs then the oil just seeps out the rear past the slinger. 

Yes, VCCA is great tons of good people over there. The picts i posted were from a discussion we had on there about mine and the ball :) I have eben taking TONS of pictures while working on my 1929 over the last four years. as well as on here: 1929 Chevrolet International 4 Door Sedan Project