pont35cpe

"She"?

Probably because they are objects of our love.

Although my two Franklins are named Scott and Zelda

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

I never refer to my automobiles as "she".  I don't give names to my automobiles. 

Me either... Or is it, Me neither?

• Like 3

Let me get in trouble, dig my own grave, shoot myself in the foot -----  needs a lot of attention,  high maintenance,  unpredictable --- (don't let my wife see this)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

If my collector-car was as reliable and as much fun as my wife...maybe I would call it a "she"..     Presently...on those occasions when I refer to it....I call it a  %$$(#(#*@!*(       piece of   %%$(($(*#  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We name them to tell them apart. Better a name than "The red one" . Yes, I have had multiples of similar cars. Still do, Park Avenues.

6 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I`d like to hear some responses as to why people refer to their cars as "She"..

I have no idea but for some reason I find it grating.........................Bob

• Like 3

I'm curious if giving a car a girls name is an 'older' practice.    I'm 58 and I don't think I've ever heard someone my age referring to his car by a girls name. 

I'm sure it also has something to do with a persons' societal environment.

Hey you ladies out there, do you call your car by a guys name?

Edited by Real Steel
typo (see edit history)

Most of mine were referred to as “she”. Because they had great curves and lines, pleasant to look at unlike most guys I know!  The current one is called the “Beast” (the car not the wife) only because my better half doesn’t really like to ride in it. 

To me the car or truck or motorcycle is an "it", not a she.  The only one I gave a name was my 1995 Ford F-150.  When I installed a fiberglass cap on the bed it became the Henry Ford Hotel when I used it as a place to sleep at times while traveling.

Terry

• Like 1

If forced to call them by name they are: Leaky, Squeaky, Rattles and P.O.S. I'll leave it to the reader to decide on the genders but they all use the bath room of their choice................Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Real Steel said:

Hey you ladies out there, do you call your car by a guy's name?

I know a woman, very interested in cars, who names all her cars,

and I think they're all men's names!

I don't anthropomorphize my cars, because steel and plastic and rubber aren't alive.

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

I don't understand why guys name their cars at all.  You would think they owned a boat.

Bought brand new, slightly used, or classically aged, all my cars and trucks have been "It's" as in "It" starts, "It" won't start, "It'"s broke, "It's" fixed and the ever popular you rotten piece of *#!t. On rare occasion I have used "she" when describing something unexpected. 

Never named a car, but from my trusty Dodge Shep to my not so trusty truck Hemorrhoid, all my trucks have eventually earned a name.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Real Steel said:

I'm curious if giving a car a girls name is an 'older' practice.    I'm 58 and I don't think I've ever heard someone my age referring to his car by a girls name. 

I'm sure it also has something to do with a persons' societal environment.

Hey you ladies out there, do you call your car by a guys name?

On of my Female supervisors called her Kia "Ricky Rio"   And I have been know to call my School Bus "Clunky the Wonder Bus" You wonder if it will start, you wonder if it will stop, and you wonder what will fall off when you hit a bump

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK, you guys, here is the real reason behind girl names on things.  All inanimate objects are always referred to by the feminine gender.  If you don't believe me on that, go look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls.  Of course there will always be some

wiseguy who will name his truck Clyde or Ralph or Jethro.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Alright!! It`s only been 8hr since I posted this.. Keep `em coming..  Where is Victoria Lynn? She`s surely got something to say.

Makes for a much better read when you are reading the classifieds than constantly calling the car it when referring to each feature.   I get more interested reading ads that way.  Makes the seller seem like they care about the car and are affectionate enough that maybe they aren't just trying to get rid of her/it.   I would be more interested in buying a car a guy doesn't really want to sell than the one he just put on fire sale because he can't wait to dispose of it/her to end his agony.  

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

OK, you guys, here is the real reason behind girl names on things.  All inanimate objects are always referred to by the feminine gender.  If you don't believe me on that, go look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls.  Of course there will always be some

wiseguy who will name his truck Clyde or Ralph or Jethro.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Funk and Wagnalls.  Hmm, I remember someone using one of those when i was a young lad.