1929 Chev 194 push rod cover Question

theterrym

When I took my engine apart it was so greasy I didn't notice, but now that im starting to put it back together I found the spark plug holes in the push rod cover are wide open with nothing sealing them  against the block. After looking at pictures of other 29 194 engines most cars have a different cover. Some did have the same as mine. My gasket set I ordered has round cork gaskets that don't seem to fit.

Is mine a early style that was realized

it was a bad design and quickly replaced? or am I missing some parts? The engine is original to the car and it is a Canadian car.

As always Thanks for the wisdom!!!engine1.thumb.jpg.351413fb92ec479d34c95c6092eebf9b.jpgengine2.thumb.jpg.b1fe0ce9261435bf6dcac30830e46089.jpg

If this is the early version ( which the rocker cover indicates having no vents) there should be no sealing around the spark plug holes. They are open for venting. On the other side of the engine there should have been an oil separator just ahead of the bellhousing with a pipe that goes to the carb. Air was sucked through the here from the crankcase to remove blow by gasses. If you seal the spark plug holes then the crankcase won't vent. Later in 29 Chev changed to a vented rocker cover and the small pipe from the carb went to the oil filler tube further ahead on the block.