Kingpin - bushing Clearance

George Rohrbach

I am in the process of installing new kingpins in my '35 Commander. Does anyone know what the specs are for the clearance between the kingpins and bushings? I need to know to ream the bushings.There is nothing listed in my Studebaker books. My guess is that it used to be one of those things that people "just knew". By the way, these are the type that are oiled, not greased.

Thanks,

George,

I would recommend reaming so that you can just push the pin through by hand- no more clearance (.0005"). Be careful as you ream them out- it isnt the easiest to keep the two bushings concentric without a bushing reamer which pilots on the other bushing on the spindle. If you are using an adjustable reamer (as I have) it is a bit tricky to keep the alignment.

Good luck.

greg smile.gif

My 1931 Chilton's manual lists a number of tolerances "for general use <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> when the specific instructions of the manufacturer are not available." For king pins:<blockquote>Measure kin pin clearance in bushing with micrometer calipers and telescoping gage.<table><tr><td>Desirable</td><td>.001-.002</td></tr><tr><td>Serviceable</td><td>.005</td></tr><tr><td>Repair or replace</td><td>.007</td></tr></table></blockquote>