1940 Packard 120 authenticity questions

Tom Boehm

Hello Packard fans, I am restoring a 1940 Lasalle. If I ever restore/get another one the 1940 Packard 120 is on my short list. After looking at many pictures of '40 120's I see some differences from car to car and I'd like to know what is correct. 

1. Hood ornament. Is the donut chaser or the cormorant correct?

2. Hubcaps. Some cars have "PACKARD 120" in small letters surrounding the red hexagon in the center. Others have "Packard" in script over the top of the red hexagon. What is correct? 

3. I understand there is a Deluxe version of the 1940 120. specifically, how is that different from a non Deluxe? 

4. How can I get a copy of James Hollingsworth's book about 1940 Packards?

Thanks, Tom Boehm New Albany, IN

21 minutes ago, Tom Boehm said:

Hello Packard fans, I am restoring a 1940 Lasalle. If I ever restore/get another one the 1940 Packard 120 is on my short list. After looking at many pictures of '40 120's I see some differences from car to car and I'd like to know what is correct. 

1. Hood ornament. Is the donut chaser or the cormorant correct? Either. Both were options. Probably came with plain bail if an option wasn't ordered.

2. Hubcaps. Some cars have "PACKARD 120" in small letters surrounding the red hexagon in the center. Others have "Packard" in script over the top of the red hexagon. What is correct? In this case, either may also be correct, but it may depend on when the car was built. Packard came out with a different set of caps mid-year, and same goes for the Senior models. The script caps are the earlier versions.

3. I understand there is a Deluxe version of the 1940 120. specifically, how is that different from a non Deluxe? Not sure on this one, but for the 160 Deluxe, it meant you got the very high-end wooden window sills, with burled-grain inlays and German silver accents. A different dashboard woodgraining as well as different plastic inserts. Someone else can hopefully give a more definitive answer.

4. How can I get a copy of James Hollingsworth's book about 1940 Packards? Ask around. They are no longer available. Keep an eye on Ebay. I was able to find one at an estate auction.

Thanks, Tom Boehm New Albany, IN