A trip back to 1903--sort of

Steve Moskowitz

Long story shortish!  In 1995-6 John Rock, the head of Oldsmobile asked me if I could build a replica of the 1903 Olds Pirate to celebrate Oldsmobile's 100 years of racing.  A correct 2-cylinder engine was non-existent but we did have a spare 1903 CDO engine to use as a basis for a 3/4 replica.  The video gives me way too much credit as my best friend Tim Ohlendorf did the majority of the work on the car.  As usual, I scarfed up the credit but this time unintentionally!  One of the best weekends of my life surrounded by great race car drivers and wonderful conversations with them including Linda Vaughan.  Truly a special week!  Yes, I was young once and yes I appeared nervous on this deal as nothing was pre-planned or scripted.  All of a sudden I got called over to get filmed.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-gHZnSj3cg

• Like 8

WOW!!! Steve you are having way too much fun, what a great car. You probably spent days cleaning sand and salt water from the car. Good idea to install an air cleaner!

Mr. Berg, I have NO idea who that guy was!! 

The run on the beach was actually supported by Ormond Beach.  We dedicated a statue of the Winton and Olds that weekend I believe as well.  Ormond Beach politicians are very good about backing the history of their beach and I believe still run an event called the Festival of Speed.  We brought the Pirate back again for one of those.