mytc05

Window air-leak adjustments

Hey guys. I'm on a roll today. Got some downtime. So, I'm trying to get some things fixed on my TC that have been put off for years. My windows (particularly the driver's side) leak air and noise. I've tried to adjust them before but with no luck. Has anybody had luck with fixing this. It seems to mainly be between the front and rear 1/4 window. I don't know if I need a new seal there, or if it's an adjustment issue. I'm also afraid adjusting that rear 1/4 window could really be a pain to get to if that's what it needs. So, wanted to hear you all's input. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Well, I would say that you first need to identify where the "leak" is coming from. Does it happen with both the hard top and the soft top?

It might be as simple as an adjustment or needing a new seal. It also could just be a quirk of owning a convertible.

BTW, your fears of getting to the 1/4 window are founded as it's certainly not "fun".

Hey Reaper. Yes, it happens with both tops on. I've had the car for years, and it used to not do this. It's mainly between the two windows where they touch about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the windows. I just don't know if a new seal would fix this, or if it's an adjustment issue. 

use an electric fan to blow smoke so you can follow the path and figure out where it is

use something other than expensive hash oil for the smoke

17 hours ago, mytc05 said:

Hey Reaper. Yes, it happens with both tops on. I've had the car for years, and it used to not do this. It's mainly between the two windows where they touch about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the windows. I just don't know if a new seal would fix this, or if it's an adjustment issue. 

You are no doubt writing about the weatherstrip attached to the forward edge of the 1/4 window glass. A new one should no doubt repair your problem if you can find one and that you install it without bending it in the process.

Hemi,  Does the 1/4 window glass have to be removed to swap out the weather stripping?  It looks like it is made of rubber set in a "U" shaped metal piece on the window.  Can just the rubber piece be swapped out or does the metal piece have to be removed from the glass?  Bro

I would say that the best idea is to remove the glass if you intend to try and replace the seal. Incidentally the 1/4 window seal is one of the very few directly interchangeable parts with the J-body Chrysler LeBaron. 

On 10/31/2017 at 10:23 AM, Garnet & Gold said:

Hemi,  Does the 1/4 window glass have to be removed to swap out the weather stripping?  It looks like it is made of rubber set in a "U" shaped metal piece on the window.  Can just the rubber piece be swapped out or does the metal piece have to be removed from the glass?  Bro

I have replaced many with the glass in the car. You just replace the rubber part, carefully, VERY carefully. Do you guys know how difficult it is to remove the 1/4 windows on these cars? It is best done without a top being in your way.

Reaper is correct on one thing though, the 1/4 window weatherstrip is the same part as on the J body convertible and the only one that may be available outside of marty14. 

4415088 same as 4658422,5257176,4658714   R QTR WINDOW FRONT W/STRIP 

4415089 same as 4658423,5257177,4658715   L QTR WINDOW FRONT W/STRIP 

I have these NOS weatherstrips 

these are on the front edge of the quarter window and seal the back edge of the door glass to the QTR window

www.arizonaparts.com

Edited by marty14 (see edit history)

I haven't really looked at it, but if the window regulator for the rear quarter is anything like the LeBaron's, it is a beast to take out.  It was not designed for serviceability.  The company I worked for back then produced them in one of our sister plants...I had wanted to change the windows on my Lebaron, and received free test glass from that plant, but when I started the replacement process, I gave up...  That is also why you see a lot of old Lebaron's with the "Shark Fins"...the motors on the regulator would quit due to the poor water management...

the 87-95 Lebarons convertibles were garbage on the qtr window regulators....they were cable driven. The motors were usually fine but the cable contraption is a pile of crap.