Back Reflector "Chrysler's TC by Maserati" Paint

Hey guys. This one's a bit of a stretch, but does anyone know what paint matches the original black paint on the rear reflector where it says"Chrysler's TC" on the left and "by Maserati" on the right? Mine is disappearing, revealing a yellow tinge underneath, and I'd like to touch that up (or have it repainted) to match exactly what it was before. I try to be as OEM/authentic as possible to the original. I know this is a pretty specific question, but with y'all's wealth of wisdom on so many little details about our cars, I figured someone out there might know. Please let me know if you have any input! Thanks guys!

There was a TC America article on this subject 3 or 4 years ago.  basically spray "Black Satin" spray paint into a cup.  Use a brush to fill in the letters, paint over the edges slightly. After the paint is dry use a 3M sponge with the green scrungy side to remove the paint that is dried.  The scrungy sponge will leave a matte finish for the painted letters. 

I will find the article this week end, scan it and upload it. The only caveat I have is, the article suggests using steel wool. This I would not recommend.  Steel fibers could embed in the stainless reflector.  Any fibers from the steel wool embed will rust and leave spots.

Okay Larry you are correct using the steel wool could cause rust spots but I would hope a good cleaning be done following the use of the steel wool.  I have not had any rust to appear in 5 years and I have done 3 of my 6 TC's that needed the lettering sharpen up.  I have removed portions of the text that referred to individuals. The below is from the author. Bob

The items necessary to repaint the lettering is a can of Rust-oleum Paint Oil- Base Gloss Black, #000 steel wool and a small artist paint brush.  Please do not substitute as these its work.  It is not necessary to remove the tail reflector from the trunk but you can if you wish to make it handier to work on.  Buy the smallest size can of paint as you can as you will not be using much paint.  In the pictures I did not restore all the lettering in the same pass to show the difference of before and after.

Now let’s get started.  Shake the can of paint to get it well mixed.  Using the artist paint brush apply the paint in the recessed area of the lettering.  Don’t get concerned if some of the paint gets on the higher portion of the tail reflector.  When apply the paint do not be afraid to get to the edge of the lettering so that there will be a sharp distinction between the black and stainless steel will exist.  You can see in the second picture that at this point in the process I went beyond the lettering almost everywhere.  Now let the paint thoroughly dry, I waited a day.  Now using the steel wool polish off the paint that got on the high portion of the tail reflector and the steel wool will also remove the luster from the paint and leave it a flat finish look.  You can polish the entire stainless steel and lettering area as the paint in the recessed area will be protected from being removed.   During the polishing step too much paint may get removed in the lettering area and you may want to go through all the steps again.  The last picture shows my finished work, good luck to you and it is really a very simple task. 

Tail Reflector Lettering Repair 1.JPG

Tail Reflector Lettering Repair 2.JPG

Tail Reflector Lettering Repair 3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Came across this paint at the store the other day. From what you guys said above, I think this would be the best bet. It even comes in a matte finish, which should make it easier for everyone who does this in the future!

image1.jpeg