BRAKE DRUMS STUCK

Guest Sifua

My Brake drums on my 36 Dodge Brothers Sedan won't budge. They turn fine. I am using a 3 prong drum puller that I got from JC Whitney. I don't want to really bang it hard on the tightning bolt for fear of jamming the gears in the differential. Should I care about this? Is it ok to use PB Blaster? I need some ideas from you guys. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get the drums off? If your 35 is the same as my DC, you will have a thread on the outside of the drum near the axle nut. This is for the proper puller, which is a kind of bell shaped thing with a centre bolt. If you can make/buy/borrow one of them, it works much better than the 3-leg puller because you are not deforming the drum and taper when pulling. Have patience too!

If you have time to be patient you might want to try a product called spot check this is a die penetrant normally used for magnifluxing but can be used to free up parts that have been rusted on for years.Just spray a little each day for about a week and then try your puller.You can purchase this product from your local welding supplier.Good luck

If your car drives, one of the ways I have found to loosen stuck drums on these old taper axles is to loosen the nut just enough to wiggle or rotate the washer behind the nut. Put the cotter pin back in. Then drive the car around the block making all right hand turns and then go around the block making left hand turns. Let the weight of the car do all the pulling and wiggling without the fear of jamming. You may have to go arround two or three times. On my 1951 Fargo I drove 4 time for one side and once for the other. Be patient.

RAI

Better than a three-legged puller is one that bolts to all the wheel studs in the drum, set it up on the drum with maximum pressure, then pour boiling water over the drum hub. The expansion of the hub may be enough to release the taper. You will get one chance before the axle also heats up and expands with the drum. If you need another try, come back later when everything is cool again.

Good luck! Remember that patience is a virtue when disassembling an old car!

When,and if, you get them off,lightly smear a silicone non melt grease on the axle and on the inside of the brake drum. This will make it easier to get them off in the future. I use a 3 legged myself and now after having had them off and greased them,I need only hit the center screw jack once or twice with a 2 pound sledge and the drum releases.

I would have thought grease on brake drum tapers was a dodgy thing to do. I have a number of axles with slogged out keyways caused by movement of the drum on the taper. A combination of inadequately tightened nut and possibly greased taper is probably to blame. Those things are tapered with a keyway and done up very tight for a reason: no movement is allowed. Grease is contrary to that requirement!