Hershey 2017. Swap Meet or Parking Lot/ Camp Grounds ??

48woodie

16 hours ago, MCHinson said:

You can't control when a vendor might close his or her space for a short time. You insisted that all vendors have to be open from start to close each day. Some vendors share a space so someone will be available most of the time. Some are run by individuals. A vendor might not know when someone in his or her group will be available to staff their space. When an individual vendor needs to go get something to eat or has to go to the porta potty, they can't plan when that will be with much certainty.

You also suggested segregating vendors by hours of operation. Totally impossible.

Maybe you would be happy if they just closed the Red Field. It appears that all of your photos were taken in the Red Field. Did you go to any of the other Fields? Wednesday-Friday, I covered most of the swap meet. I was tired on Friday afternoon and skipped most of the Red Field. I usually start in the Chocolate Field and Red Fields early in the week and work my way towards the Orange Field by Friday. I am usually so tired by the time I make it to the Orange Field on Friday that I don't think I am as good at spotting stuff in the Orange Field as I was earlier in the week. This year, I decided to do something different and started in the Orange Field and worked my way back towards the Red Field by Friday.

It may have worked for me because I spotted something that a friend wanted in the Orange Field on Wednesday afternoon. He was able to get over there Thursday morning and was waiting when that vendor opened and bought what I had spotted for him. 

Now, I remember why I hesitated to wade into this discussion. I hate to try to help someone and then feeling like I am being personally attacked for having responded.

I have made some suggestions for improvement of the swap meet here on the forum in the past. Suggestions for changethe  to Hershey Fall Meet will always receive a lot of scrutiny. Minor changes might be possible but you can't make significant changes without a lot of thought to the potential unintended effects. Something that has been running for 50 plus years has reached a point that many things have been tried and discarded because they did not work as well as hoped.

It works. It may not be perfect, but it works. If it did not work, people would not attend. There were lots of people in the swap meet fields that I was in.

I found great deals on several items that I needed this year. I got some even better deals on some things that some of my friends needed. For both of the past two years, I have found multiple  items at Hershey for local friends who could not attend. Each year, my friends were happy with what I found them and the good prices on those items. I had fun. I was tired when I left for home. It still beats buying stuff online. I look forward to next October.   

MCHinson,

I stated earlier that I understand that Vendors need to leave their spaces to use use the washroom, to eat, etc..

I did mention separating Vendors by hours open but I was being sarcastic. Someone else did mention segregating vendors by type of items sold. This would be a good idea.

Yes, maybe closing the North Red Field and the South Orange Field is a good idea. There was no where close to 9,000 vending spaces being used for vending. These areas could be used for volunteer parking, possibly free vendor parking or Handicapped Parking. Have you noticed how far away from the show the North Handicapped Parking is ?  

I was able to cover the entire show Tuesday -Friday. The photos that I posted were taken on Thursday. This grouping of photos I posted are mostly from the Red Fields. I can post the rest of the 50 photos I have of the other swap areas that were being used as parking and camping if you want. It would be interesting to see an ariel view of this years show.

You are wrong about the attendance. It is way down.  In the past there would be three large parking lots. Do you remember when they closed the White Field to make it into parking. Now it's mostly used for campers. There is a parking area NW on RT 39 which is for overflow. It use to be filled. They would also park cars up by the High School, not anymore. Most of the vendors I spoke to said that the attendance is down. This is partly due to the internet but not solely.

Mike

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Amen. We introduced 3 new members, young by the way, to the Hershey experience this year. They had a  great time and never complained about the vendors, the parkers, or yes even the $8 milkshakes

They don't have anything to compare it to.

Maybe next year they will notice.

Or when they turn 45 and there's one vendor per isle ? (sarcasm).

Mike

It's great that we have new/young members.

Edited by 48woodie (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just a quick hit here.  Everyone should know that the choice of food vendors and their prices are nothing that the Hershey Region or AACA control.  That is the sole purview of HE & R.  Nor does the region or AACA get a percentage.  Just to make this subject clear.

As to the now famous or infamous milk shakes.  If they were the ones on the Chocolate Field I had two!!!  I have no idea what they cost but they were delicious and calmed my upset stomach down.  Well worth the price.

Got to a race at Charlotte or Daytona, go to a baseball game or football game and look at the prices!  It is the nature of the beast, fair or not.  I am sure expenses are up to do these events for the concessionaires with weekends and the like but I agree prices are not inexpensive.  I also wish there were more vendors  with a few more healthier fares

The "Milk Shake" Vendor in question is in the South Red Field.

I also enjoyed the Milk Shakes in the Chocolate Field and in the Hershey Store at 1/2 the price.

Mike

This is my last post. Maybe.

I feel that I have accomplished what I set out to do. Make people aware that there is a problem with the Show.

Four years ago in September I was diagnosed with cancer and started Chemo and Radiation therapy. That fall I missed my first Fall Meet in 20 years. My treatments lasted until March the following year. I was down from 190 lbs to 128 lbs and barley able to walk 20 feet.

One of my goals was to make it to the Hershey Fall Meet.

I made it at 140 lbs and able to walk 50 yards before I needed a brake. I didn't park in the Handicap lot and I didn't use a Golf Cart. But as always it was worth it to be at the Hershey Fall Meet.

This is when I started to notice that so many of the Vendor Spaces were being used for Parking and Camping. Maybe it was because I was walking so slow.

The next year I was better but still recovering and able to walk a few hundred yards before taking a brake. Still walking slow, I noticed that the parking/camping spaces seemed to have grown.

Last year I was much better but still a little winded after awhile. Noticing that the parking/spaces had grown even larger, I took a bunch of photos. But I didn't do anything with them.

This year I'm three years cancer free. I'm at 185 lbs and able to walk most of a field without taking a rest. But I noticed the Parking/Camping had grown even larger. Worried that it would get worst next year, I decided I would document this growing problem with photographs and start this tread.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Handicapped Person, a disabled person, a person in a wheelchair, most anybody over 65. It is selfish and inconsiderate to think that it is right to take up swap spaces for convenience parking and camping when there are parking lots, camp grounds and trailer parking right across the street. Put yourself in the shoes of the person who can't take vacation days and shows up on Saturday expecting 9,000 vendors and theres only 2,000 actual selling spaces. Or the young enthusiast who couldn't miss school and showed up on Saturday to only 2,000 actual selling spaces. 

9,000 Flea Market Spaces should mean 9,000 Flea Market Spaces.

Wednesday through Saturday should be Wednesday through Saturday.

7am to 5pm should be 7am to 5pm.

Regulations are written to be followed and should be strictly followed or they are useless. 

I am going to join the Hershey Region Chapter and see if I can get on the show committee.

Thanks for listening,

Mike

I will be at the $3.00 Milk Shake Space at 1pm on Thursday 2018 to buy you a reasonably priced Milk Shake. This might be a mistake.

• Like 2

How would this work? Or would it work? In very round numbers just for discussion sake. Cut the vendor area in half. Allow no cars, campers, parkers,  etc. Vendor's set ups only. The other half for the campers, squatters, and parkers. Sell the camping and vending spots seperately. Price to be determined by number of spaces bought.

Campers, schmoozers, socializers, old cronies, etc all in one area. Actual vendors selling stuff all in one area. 

Good for the campers, good for the sellers, good for the buyers, good for the future of the show..................Bob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 48woodie said:

John,

No one is saying that you should haul your stuff anywhere. Just cover it at night like the others.

How many of your 9 space are actually used for vending and how many are used for parking/camping?

My Father taught me to always end a sales pitch with a joke........thats what the "Milk Shake" is about.

Mike

oMilk2.png

Mike,

it appears that you are a guy looking to argue you only addressed the points that you could use to turn things around. Like I pointed out and you failed to address that you pay no admission  as a spectator to get in.

You have no idea what I bring to sell and the value of it so you have no right to tell me what I should or should not do with what I bring down to sell when I close for the night. 

I am about $2000 in the red before I even leave my house on Monday Morning, spaces, port-a-san rental, food, supplies, beverages ice and there are a few other items I am sure I left out. I also did not factor in the weeks pay I give up to be there. I also did not factor in the items that get broken, ruined (by spectators and weather), and lost (because nobody would steal anything would they?). This all done before I look at the extended weather forecast, so like most of the other vendors we are there rain or shine. If I break even that is great, and if I don't that is fine also because I HAVE FUN WITH MY FRIENDS!  After all it is a hobby and I do it to relax, and I suggest you should take step back and do the same.

With all of the rules and violations you see vendors breaking, you not even once mentioned the golf carts speeding around risking injury to everybody, could you be one of those guys?

Saturday, ...... We are done on Friday I had enough. besides on Saturday nobody comes to the Red Field except for guys looking for scrap metal. I being a hobbyist like you,  I like to go to the show on Saturday and as I did this year even show a car. I am sure other vendors do the same or even like to judge

My Father told me never argue with a guy who is looking for an argument so.... 

As far as the $8.00 shakes, they are floats and were worth every penny they were good I had four of them and look forward to having one every year. I smoke $12 cigars so $8 for a float is nothing.

If you are so miserable and all of these small things bother you at hershey then maybe you should not go

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John348 said:

Mike,

it appears that you are a guy looking to argue you only addressed the points that you could use to turn things around. Like I pointed out and you failed to address that you pay no admission  as a spectator to get in.

You have no idea what I bring to sell and the value of it so you have no right to tell me what I should or should not do with what I bring down to sell when I close for the night. 

I am about $2000 in the red before I even leave my house on Monday Morning, spaces, port-a-san rental, food, supplies, beverages ice and there are a few other items I am sure I left out. I also did not factor in the weeks pay I give up to be there. I also did not factor in the items that get broken, ruined (by spectators and weather), and lost (because nobody would steal anything would they?). This all done before I look at the extended weather forecast, so like most of the other vendors we are there rain or shine. If I break even that is great, and if I don't that is fine also because I HAVE FUN WITH MY FRIENDS!  After all it is a hobby and I do it to relax, and I suggest you should take step back and do the same.

With all of the rules and violations you see vendors breaking, you not even once mentioned the golf carts speeding around risking injury to everybody, could you be one of those guys?

Saturday, ...... We are done on Friday I had enough. besides on Saturday nobody comes to the Red Field except for guys looking for scrap metal. I being a hobbyist like you,  I like to go to the show on Saturday and as I did this year even show a car. I am sure other vendors do the same or even like to judge

My Father told me never argue with a guy who is looking for an argument so.... 

As far as the $8.00 shakes, they are floats and were worth every penny they were good I had four of them and look forward to having one every year. I smoke $12 cigars so $8 for a float is nothing.

If you are so miserable and all of these small things bother you at hershey then maybe you should not go

John,

I am sorry that I am having to post again but ...

Yes, I was a HANDICAPPED visitor to the Hershey Fall Meet in the 2014 and 2015. If you would have read my last posting you would have read that even though I should have used a golf cart, I choose not to. I also choose not to park in the Handicapped Parking.

Again, walk in the shoes of a Handicapped person, a Disabled Person, A person in a Wheelchair.........

As for smoking a $ 12.00 cigar...I had Throat Cancer...I never smoked.  You should quit the cigars for your health and Family.

Please don't be rude,

Mike

Screen shot 2017-09-14 at 11.01.29 AM.png

Edited by 48woodie (see edit history)

I am gonna weigh in again,

My father did 52 years selling and dragged me and my brother all through the 60's and 70's till he passed in 2012 Life member,as are me and my brother.  Me and my brother have his ten spots my brother comes all the way from Colorado every year and I from tenn. we each use 5 spaces both of us park our truck and trailer utilizing the whole 100' on back side of all ten spaces leaving all 22 1/2' X 100' for selling, we fill every square Inch with parts from my 10k lb. trailer and back of my Ram truck with my brothers 20' and dually. we sleep in our enclosed cargo trailers it takes us 4-5 hours to setup and each day it takes approximately 1-1 1/2 hours to cover all ground parts and everything under the canopies each night. I love it but its hard work. I would never be able to remove all the steel parts unload and setup popups and then move my truck and trailer somewhere else,  My complaint is the dam idiots like I said before that pile in a 11 pass club van buy a space pull in get out setup a freaking card table put a broken carburetor and couple license plates and leave for the day, as for the 150k dollar motor homes, they pull in with 5-6 spots and have not much either, don't know the answer, but I got two of my buddies to buy three spots this year each, over in Red in the far corner by the main road and they said since Herco closed some entrance by my chocolate field south people traffic was great, these guys each brought trailer load of parts and never vended and are both younger 43 and younger,so I did my part to get other guys who never sold there before. So if every guy gets a few new guys to buy spots to sell, and Hershey AACA does there part we can continue to build the Greatest show! My father came till he could not come anymore and said his heart was always at Hershey. So many people let money and power kill great traditions! Work together and make it better. I like the idea someone said put all the modern tool,buffers,sandblasters trailer venders in one area,and the clubs in another, how is always the question.

thanks to all who volunteer!

• Like 3

There's an old adage about how do you eat an elephant....one bite at a time.

Hershey is the Great Show to us who live and breathe antique cars.

However, changes need to come slowly, year by year, and let the event evolve and change to meet the times.

I believe the Hershey Region (and they do a great job, don't get me wrong) should make a 10 year plan.  All tire companies here, all insurance companies there, this will be how the parking/vending will work.

Then, slowly move toward that, with smallish changes each year.  For example, R-32 and my suggestion on alternating vending/parking aisles, no, you can't do that all in one year, but take an easy field like Green and do a section of it.  You may have to move a few people around, but that's the price you and I pay.  See how it works then build on it.

Same with a lot of the suggestions here.  Make a long term plan, see how it works, adjust as you go.  A huge task, but by the same token, there's money there, and there are resources to work on it.....hire them if needed...

All that said, there's no other place in the world that this many people get together in a week all about antique cars.  The next closest is the UK autojumble and then the big to-do in Europe, but I don't think they're as big....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, old car fan said:

in 5 years there will not be any old car partsSad but true

What?  That doesn't make any sense, of course the hobby will continue.  Hershey will continue.  Why wouldn't there be parts?

I'm constantly reminded of the Harrah sales, 1000 cars on the auction block, everyone said that's the end of the hobby, too many cars.  In 1985 or so.

There's continued interest in old cars, prices aren't going down.  The hobby will survive.

• 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, 48woodie said:

This is my last post.

This was is a quote from a post from 6 months ago from the guy who bumped it yesterday...... confusing yes, considering that the conversation seemed to run it's course.

Nick,  $7.00 for a beer in a major league  stadium is cheap, must be a small one. We had a season plan for the Yankees for 20 years and gave it up at the end of last season, it was always expensive, but it just got to the point that it was too expensive and I was just not enjoying it anymore...... mmm maybe I am on to something

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I can feel his pain.. I did the back to the 50's in MN.. 3 years ago..

No place to park.  Every thing was  8.00 or 10.00 for a coke..

I did one day at Carlisle  5 years ago..

Once my son graduates from school as a  diesel mechanic. I may take him to Hershey.

Ball park from St. Louis..

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, 48woodie said:

I bumped this topic because it still needs to be addressed by the Hershey Region Chapter.

Mike

Well then, Woodie why don't you contact the Hershey Region who organizes and runs their meet?

You are repeatedly asking the same old questions to the wrong gallery.  This is the AACA Forum not the Hershey Region Forum.  The AACA supports this and all meets however the host Region runs the Meets to include any organizing and logistics.  I might add do not assume the Hershey Region monitors this AACA Forum for questions related to them.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:42 AM, ted sweet said:

why bump this old topic?

Ted, the guy just wants to beat the topic to death

Peter J.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woodie48, We had a great rib eye steak vendor on our field for years. (now gone due to age of vender) Late one afternoon I asked how the week was going for them... Well at that time the $80 space you pay for is sold to HERCO  by the region for $80 who then resells it to a food vender. They paid Herco for 3  spaces at $500 each, $1500. They ran with four people, If Hershey Park was a coke park, you sold Coke, If that year a Pepsi you sold Pepsi. Your contract required you to get the syrup, cans and bottles from Herco. You could not go to SAM's and save money on the cost of drinks.

I don't have a clue what these food venders pay now but you have to sell a lot of $8 milk shakes to break even at $500 per space rain or shine, cold days, etc, I am very happy to buy food on my field at any price if it tastes good! Without enough help, your food line gets too long, you lose customers.

We set up on Tuesday and sell till 1 pm. on Saturday. Stop and spend your money C4A-1-6 (yes we have the tool and jack tent) … and we use all our space!!!! Karl

P1000795.JPG

P1000788.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You asked "Why Bump and old topic?".

Because no one from the AACA or the Hershey Region Chapter responded to this thread and it will be a new topic come Oct 14th, 2018.

I have tried to contact The Hershey Region Chapter but no one returns my call.

Mike

1 hour ago, 48woodie said:

You asked "Why Bump and old topic?".

Because no one from the AACA or the Hershey Region Chapter responded to this thread and it will be a new topic come Oct 14th, 2018.

I have tried to contact The Hershey Region Chapter but no one returns my call.

Mike

Mike, I told you in the past that you will not get an answer on this website.  The Hershey Region is the sole authority as they are the host region that puts on the Fall Meet.  You were also advised that the Hershey Region does not monitor this website looking for your inquiries.

When you come to the Fall Meet in 8 weeks or so simply go to the Hershey tent and speak to them personally?  

Regards,

Peter J.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, 48woodie said:

Tom,

So you use 3 of your 4 spaces for camping and 1 for swapping ???

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Thank you for being open from 8 am to 6pm. 

And I agree with you about changing the days from Wednesday to Saturday.

Mike

Mike,

I know this is old but just saw this now. We use 1 space for only parts but three and sometime four for parts along side the motorhomes. By doing this, we always have someone at the space who can call the others when offers are made. If we were forced to camp elsewhere not near our parts, I would stop coming to Hershey! I just turned 60 today so I hope to come for many years. 

Tom

Cincinnati

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2018 at 11:46 PM, nick8086 said:

Ball park from St. Louis..

IMG_7803.JPG

By the way this photo is misleading it was taken during what is called a "dark day"  for maintenance at the Cardinals Stadium. Notice there are no baselines or bases on the field..... FYI Cardinals are one of the bigger draws in baseball with the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox, Giants and Yankees. Cardinals averaged 42,500 people a game for each home game in 2017, almost 3.5 million people through the gates

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, 48woodie said:

Well it another Hershey has past.

Not much change from last year.

Very true, and we had a great time as usual, even the rain on Thursday couldn't spoil it! It is always great to see friends.... after all it a big part of this is social? 

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, John348 said:

Very true, and we had a great time as usual, even the rain on Thursday couldn't spoil it! It is always great to see friends.... after all it a big part of this is social? 

Ditto that, John.  FYI...Mike (a.k.a. 48Wodie started another thread.  Why I have no idea other than taking up a lot of space on the mainframe.

Regards,

Peter J.