Hershey 2017. Swap Meet or Parking Lot/ Camp Grounds ??

48woodie

In past threads over the years, AACA members have 

made helpful suggestions and comments about THEIR

national fall meet.  Sometimes the answer comes back,

"The Hershey Region never reads the forum comments."

Well, why not!  While they do a good job as volunteers,

there is always room for improvement, and some of

these comments should be seriously pondered for the good

of the event.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Sometimes the answer comes back,

"The Hershey Region never reads the forum comments."

John,

Who stated this?  I happen to know they do read comments and do the best they can to improve the Fall Meet with the resources they have.

If they do, great!  But other years in the past

it was stated (by whom, I don't know)  that Hershey

people never saw the forum comments.  Even in 

this topic, someone suggested writing a letter instead

to the Hershey Region, and while that might be productive,

members may be less likely to compose and send a letter.

I agree with the others that food could be more

reasonably priced.  Consider that high-priced milkshake:

A restaurant might charge half the price a Hershey vendor does,

and the restauranteur has a building costing $500,000 to $1,000,000,

and grounds and parking lot to maintain, and he

serves the food with waiters, on real dishes, with silverware

that they have to wash.  The merchant may pay for advertising, too.

A mobile vendor should have significantly fewer expenses.

I remember the past comments, from management, that forum posts are "usually not read" actually referred to AACA directors being too busy to read them. There was a small flurry of comments on that revelation.

As I remember the AACA fall back position whenever pressed for answers was "write a letter".....................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I agree with the others that food could be more

reasonably priced.  Consider that high-priced milkshake:

A restaurant might charge half the price a Hershey vendor does,

and the restauranteur has a building costing $500,000 to $1,000,000,

and grounds and parking lot to maintain, and he

serves the food with waiters, on real dishes, with silverware

that they have to wash.  The merchant may pay for advertising, too.

A mobile vendor should have significantly fewer expenses.

We can complain all we want about the food costs at the meet (and I do sometimes), but the fact is we are in a supply and demand free country and business people are going to charge as much as they can as demand dictates.

Think about it, what are you charging today for an original porcelain petroleum sign that people were throwing away 50 years ago.

If you picked it out of the garbage in 1976 and had it for sale at Hershey today and calculate your storage, transportation, etc it might be 5 or 10 bucks, you want to make a reasonable profit so you would sell it for $20. Are you going to sell it for that or are you going to sell it for the going rate that demand dictates. Expenses don't mean much in pricing, demand does. 

Just sayin.

Here's a suggestion:

If you advertise the Fall meet to be open Wednesday through Saturday ..and being open from 7am to 5 pm then that's what it should be.

Also if you advertise 9,000 vendor spaces then thats what it should be.

I do understand that some vendors might not make the meet due to unseen circumstances.

If not it's false advertising.

If the show can not keep the vendors there on Saturday because it's to many days to be there then change it to Thursday through Saturday.  This would make the swap meet available to the common Joe who has to work or the young enthusiast who may also have to work or go to school.  Maybe you could move all the vendors that are only open sometimes to one area and the serious vendors who will stay open 7am to 5 pm to the other areas?

Also campers should be in the camp grounds and cars should be parked in the parking lots.  If the buyers have to make it to the swap meet from the parking lots and the camp grounds so should the vendors.

If the volunteer workers, car show judges or the AACA Directors need parking spaces in the swap meet then close the North Red Field and the South Orange Field...most of these space were being used for campers, parking or where empty. Then you can have the volunteers that work at the south end park in the "Old" South Orange Field and the volunteers who work at the north end park in the "Old" North Red Field. This does not seem to hard to do?

And why don't they have these "meetings" scheduled for after 5 pm when the swap meet is closed?

We keep hearing how the "Hershey Region is a big region and they're a very wealthy region". Why don't they hire someone to police the vendor spaces. That doesn't seem to hard?

No matter what is said vendor spaces should be used only for vending and they should be open as advertised. Please look again at the photos at the beginning of this thread...it's ridiculous.

It would be interesting to hear what the Hershey Region thinks about what we're saying on the thread?  Lets hear from you guys.

As for the $ 8.00 Milk Shakes...I only mentioned it as a joke...but still who buys an $ 8.00 Milk Shake. (2018 I will be selling "Who Buys $ 8.00 Milk Shake" T-shirts.

Mike

This one is going to get me in trouble.

Edited by 48woodie (see edit history)

48woodie,

Most of the people who are selling parts at Hershey are not running a business. The majority of the swap meet spaces are run by individuals, not businesses.  If you think you can require people who are paying for a space to sell excess parts to be required to stay in their space for every minute of every day of the swap meet, I don't think you understand human nature very well.

The majority of those individuals who are selling are also buying. If they are stuck in their own space 100% of the time, they can't buy anything from any of the other swap meet spaces. Most of these individuals store their items for sale in their cars, trucks, trailers, or motorhomes. Without somewhere to store parts, it is difficult to sell parts.Regarding meeting times, If the swap meet area is closed, it would be impossible for those clubs to have their meetings in their spaces at those times. 

Your suggestions in your last post would guarantee the end of the Hershey Swap Meet. 

I would urge you to give some thought to your suggestions and after coming up with reasonable ideas for improvement, you should pass them along to the Hershey Region. 

• Like 1

I have had little time for the forum but can only tell you that I am passing this thread on to others to read.  Not everyone enjoys the use of these forums so I try to make it my job to send out important threads for our directors or the region to read.  Right now I am overwhelmed with our new building and two other major projects but can tell you that perspectives change depending on what side of the fence you are on.  It is hard for the masses to understand the amount of work/problems that goes into the fall meet and the problems the region and national have with it.  It is also equally important that all of us listen to how the end user feels about the "product".  There are points on both sides but each side does want the best for the fall meet.

The suggestion to write the region with your constructive ideas is a good one.  

MCHinson,

Streamlining an event does not guarantee it's end.

The demise of a swap meet is having to walk 20 miles to see 9,000 swap spaces and there are only really 5,000 spaces being used for vending.

Or showing up to a car show advertising 9,000 swap spaces on Saturday and there are only 1,000 spaces being used because the vendors just decided go home .

Why don't they add the real information in the advertisements.

9,000 swap spaces is no where near the truth.  Open 7 am to 5 pm is also not true?

Wednesday through Saturday also not true.

Again, look at the photos at the beginning of the thread......thats the demise of a swap meet.

The Hershey Region needs to check the other active forums. This is not the only Forum commenting on this years Show.

Mike

I like a good milk shake......but who pays $ 8.00 for one???

• Like 2

If you would take the time to re-read the Flea Market Regulations they are very straight forward.

# 4. No Flea Market spaces shall be used solely for camping or parking.

# 10. Failure to abide by any regulation will result in immediate expulsion and possible withdrawal of future flea/swap meet privileges and AACA membership.

These two are straight forward.

And # 11 defines who is responsible uphold these regulations.

# 11 The decision of the flea/swap market chairman, appointed flea market official, or any AACA National Director shall be final on all matters.

If I was a Vendor with an isle full of campers and parking spaces I would be upset. Most people I spoke with skipped those isles.

On another front.......#6....."Alcoholic beverage consumption on the premise is prohibited".

Mike

I just got back from the Plush Horse Ice Cream Parlor. I bought this wonderful Milk Shake. $ 3.50.

Screen shot 2017-10-30 at 7.23.05 PM.png

Edited by 48woodie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have no problem at all with the current rules. I simply disagree with your apparent misinterpretation of some of them and some of your suggestions for changes for them. You really should read the rules and re-read all of what you have posted. Some of  your suggestions are unreasonable, misguided, and unenforceable. After a career as a law enforcement officer, I understand a bit about enforcement of rules and regulations, and human nature as it applies to that endeavor. There is certainly room for improvement in this event, as in all human endeavors. You have to remember to be reasonable when you try to motivate people to change any type of behavior.  

• Like 1

48Woodie, I will leave it up to you to explain to my 87 year old step-Dad that he can no longer park in our spaces or store his '40 Packard in the trailer on our spaces so we can get it and him to the show Saturday morning. You need to lighten up. Enforce the "no parking" rule by banning persons from future shows? What does this accomplish other than piss off a vendor who likely will not be back?  This was my 50th Hershey. Due  to physical problems I would not be able to do Hershey If I could not park in our spaces. We have been exhibitors and/or vendors since 1979. Some years we use all our spaces for the intended use. Other years we have excess spaces. Would you prefer to see those spaces empty or maybe filled by new members experiencing their first Hershey? My suggestion is to alternate rows. One row for campers and parking, next row strictly for vending. We have 10 spaces. If they were in a block of 5 in front and 5 in back we could use the front 5 for business and the back 5 for parking our trailer, camper or whatever. Just another idea. 

Wow, R-32, I like that idea,  I had that thought yesterday, alternate rows, even typed it up but Guess I forgot to hit send!  Thus only every other row would have vendors.....smart!

my thought was sell no single spaces, that's obviously a parking spot.  Sell only in multiples of 2 spaces, a front and back...front space is on vending row, back space on parking row....obviously perimeter spaces are debatable....

that would cut walking (the seemingly biggest complaint) in about half.

Dear R-32 & Trimacar,

Your thought of alternating the rows....Row A vending and Row B right behind you for parking now leaves me walking an entire row and only seeing half the vendors ??????????

This is worst than whats going on now??????   As the regulations are now I should be able to walk down one row ( I/4 mile ) and lets say see 100 vendors on my left and right. Your idea leaves me still walking a 1/4 mile and only seeing 50 vendors?????    I am now walking twice the distance.

And they would have to double the size of the swap meet?  Or cut the vending spaces in half ?

Now there would be only 4,500 spaces?

That makes no since.

Mike

Dear MCHinson,

Thank you for your service in the law enforcement.

So, being in Law Enforcement you know that laws and regulations must be strictly enforced for them to work:

We don't let someone speed just because they are late for an appointment.

We don't let someone steal a phone because they lost one.

And we don't let someone park in the Handicapped Parking spaces just because they are just running in to get a Milk Shake.

If " all " the regulations are not going to be enforced why have any of them. 

You said in your post that some of the regulations are unenforceable. Which ones ?  

There is parking right across the street from the market. The old White Field is for camping which is also right across the street. There are also Handicapped parking lots adjacent to the swap meet.  Maybe they need a free Vendor Parking area just out side of the swap meet. Or eliminate the South Orange Field the the North Red Field and make those Free Vendor Parking areas.

Here's a thought. The region could hire shuttle services from the parking lots and the camping grounds to drop the people who can't walk that far off just outside of the show.

There are clearly many people who are not Vendors using the Vendor Spaces just for parking, Vendors using spaces for convenient parking and people putting out just the minimum garage sale junk to make it look like they're vending. This one small problem can and should be regulated.

If a camper is parked across the back of the the swap space and they are vending in front that makes since. When a vendor using a swap space for their camper and another for there towed car thats not right. I know that the people with campers need a towed car to get out and buy staples but they should then park in the regular parking areas like the rest of us. Not take up a designated Swap space.

Swap meets are for both the Vendor and the Buyer. It seems that this one is leaning towards the convenience of the Vendor.

Mike

• Like 1

I have two spaces and friend has two space that are in a parallel row. Both my friend and I along with another AACA Ohio Region friend have motorhomes so we can stay on the field. We park the three Motorhomes on three spaces and use the fourth for most of vending but use space along the sides of the motorhomes for some stuff. We also take turns "watching the store" making sure everything is priced. We set up Tuesday afternoon and pack up Friday. Our location in the Red Field by the stadium is not too good for sales and I rarely sell enough to pay for the spots despite bringing a lot of parts. We stay open from 8am till 6 or 7 PM sometimes.  I have been coming to Hershey since 1970 at age 12 and vending for 20 years or so. I always make sure anyone who is in our spaces bring stuff to sell. We also let other club members and friends put out parts to sell at our tables. My only thought is to shorten the meet by a day starting set up on Wednesday so more might stay and vend on Saturday making it better for folks with limited vacation. I believe that was the case years ago. I remember at lot more going on Saturday in swap meet areas with most people leaving Saturday night instead of Friday. Generally the vendors are tired after four days and leave Friday. If we set up on Wednesday, more vendors might stay till Saturday.

Tom in Cincinnati

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48woodie said:

Dear R-32 & Trimacar,

Your thought of alternating the rows....Row A vending and Row B right behind you for parking now leaves me walking an entire row and only seeing half the vendors ??????????

This is worst than whats going on now??????   As the regulations are now I should be able to walk down one row ( I/4 mile ) and lets say see 100 vendors on my left and right. Your idea leaves me still walking a 1/4 mile and only seeing 50 vendors?????    I am now walking twice the distance.

And they would have to double the size of the swap meet?  Or cut the vending spaces in half ?

Now there would be only 4,500 spaces?

That makes no since.

Mike

No, you'd have two sides of vending facing each other in one row, then two sides of parking facing each other in the next row.  Thus, you'd have every other row (let's say "aisle" if row confuses you) that's theoretically all vending .  Every OTHER aisleway would be parking that you wouldn't walk down...and as far as half size, a third to a half of the spaces are used for "parking" now, a vehicle to get stuff into the flea market area.

Thus if you had rows of spaces A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H,  A-D-E-H would be parking, B-C-F-G would be vending.....I hope that makes sense to you....

I'm sure it'll never happen but it's an interesting concept.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

No, you'd have two sides of vending facing each other in one row, then two sides of parking facing each other in the next row.  Thus, you'd have every other row (let's say "aisle" if row confuses you) that's theoretically all vending .  Every OTHER aisleway would be parking that you wouldn't walk down...and as far as half size, a third to a half of the spaces are used for "parking" now, a vehicle to get stuff into the flea market area.

Thus if you had rows of spaces A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H,  A-D-E-H would be parking, B-C-F-G would be vending.....I hope that makes sense to you....

I'm sure it'll never happen but it's an interesting concept.

^^^ This is what I thought you meant in your previous post. This is a good COMPROMISE that makes parking available for vendors and CUTS DOWN ON WALKING for customers. Actually, if Hershey Region and AACA National want to make meaningful changes to this event to address this issue, this should be given some SERIOUS THOUGHT and not simply dismissed. Now I can see that some in Hershey Region or at AACA National might say "that would be a lot of work to do something like that". My response to that is not necessarily. If Hershey Region is laying out the Swap meet field by hand/manually then yes, it would be more work. If that is the case then Hershey Region needs to let Technology start working for them and start working Smarter Not Harder.  For instance, does Hershey Region realize that there is computer software available for Flea Market Booth Tracking and Management? If Hershey Region is not now using tools like this, maybe it is time to take a look at what this software can do, how it could be used and Invest in this software. One such package is call Booth Tracker

BTW, if there are "parking spaces" that are not needed in some of these parking rows then Hershey Region could "Decentralize" their volunteer parking and use these available spaces for their volunteers on each of the swap meet fields. That would mean even LESS WALKING for the hard working volunteers working that particular field. 

• Thanks 1

MCHinson,

It is broke and it needs to be fixed.

I know at least 30 people who no longer come to the Fall Meet because of the additional walking they have to do because of the abuse of the Show Regulations. And I know another 50 people that don't come because they can only get late on Friday. Since when are Swap Meets on week days anyway??

Closing the show on Friday makes no since at all.

So the people who work or go to school don't get to go to the Greatest Swap Meet in the World ?

Start the show on Wednesday not Tuesday and have it say open for those who can only come on Saturday.

Not everyone is retired.

Mike

• Like 2

Since we are talking about the swap meet layout maybe the following suggestions should be considered as well.

Car Club Tents on Vendor Spaces.  

How about gathering all the Car Club Tents in the Swap Meet TOGETHER in the same row(s) instead of spreading them out amongst vendors trying to sell parts???  If these tents are in a few rows, signs could be placed at the end of the rows. These signs could be nothing more than two big pieces of wood hinged at the top so they are free standing. Clubs could then thumbtack 8.5"x11" signs on this wood to advertise they have a space in the row and when their club activates are taking place. This wood sign could also note that there are No Swap Meet Vendors in this row so swap meet buyers/customers could skip the row(s).
Maybe clubs could reconsider when they hold their meetings/gatherings and have them late in the day if they are not already doing so. That way vendors who want to attend the meetings would not be closing up shop during prime selling times.

Commercial Vendors (ie Coker Tire, Universal Vintage Tire, Snappin Turtle Tie Downs, Meguiars, etc).

- How about grouping them all in rows on the same field? To some extent this is done already with Coker Tire, Universal Vintage Tire on the same field.
- How about grouping the vendors that sell trailers, trailer accessories (ie tiedowns including Snappin Turtle Tie Downs, etc) and the vendor that always has a big display of trailer tires and accessories?
- How about grouping the vendors that sell tools, sandblasting cabinets, paint equipment together? 
- What about grouping all the companies that offer services together? (ie chroming businesses, restoration companies, car radio repair companies,
upholstery companies, etc). Many of these companies/vendors come to Hershey every year so organizing them should be more predictable and thus easier.

Antique Insurance Companies. 

How about grouping these companies together (Hagerty, JC Taylor, etc). This would make it easier for their current customers to find them to conduct business. It would also make it easier for potential new customers to shop for insurance instead of walking MILES to visit these companies currently scattered ALL OVER the fields. Doing this might increase exposure for these companies and increase sales due to customers being able to find them in a much more timely manner than they can now.

Increasing Vendor Sales

I have seen a number of posts by vendors about decreasing and/or lackluster sales. If one reads posts in this forum from prior years this trend appears
to be happening for the last 5 or 6 years now. 

A couple of weekends ago my next door neighbor had a yard sale on a Sunday. Another neighbor had one as well. My next door neighbor used technology for her sale by using the Facebook Marketplace to list information about her sale and to post photos of items she was selling. Her sale was an BIG SUCCESS with 98% of her sales the DIRECT RESULT of Facebook Marketplace. The other neighbor that did not use technology had literally no sales to speak of. This example got me to thinking that Swap Meet Vendors at Fall Hershey could use Facebook Marketplace to boost their sales.

While it is true some vendors and AACA members do not have smartphones I saw PLENTY of vendors and buyers using smart phones this year.
Do vendors even know about Facebook Marketplace? Do they have any clue as to how posting some of their items on the Marketplace would open them up 
to a MUCH BIGGER potential customer base and attract YOUNGER Customers whose money is just as Green as us older folks? What about using Craigslist to advertise your vendor space at Hershey? There is a Swap Meet section on Craigslist that I see some people use for Fall Hershey and Carlisle. One again ,use Technology to Work Smarter Not Harder to make it easier for customers to find the products you are selling WITHOUT spends 2-3 days walking 15-20 miles.

Those vendors that are not familiar with Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist could seek out younger family members or friends that could help them post information about their Swap Meet space goodies that are For Sale.

Better Information for all Fall Hershey Attendees - Information Signs.

How about posting signs at each of the Main Spectator entrances to the swap meet?  One sign should include the RULES OF THE SWAP MEET. IE no riding of bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, etc. Making an announcement over the PA systems every few hours is Okay but that is SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH.

Another sign might simply post the question... Looking for parts, accessories, etc???? The Fall Hershey Program available for purchase
has a comprehensive list of vendors and is available for purchase. This sign could also tell people to check out Facebook Marketplace and/or the Harrisburg Craigslist site to see Fall Hershey Vendor information.

If posting these signs at all the spectator entrances is too much them post them in High traffic areas (ie where the main groups of Food Vendors are located and/or at both ends of the footbridge).

People who have NOT been to Fall Hershey much before have No CLUE AT ALL about the rules and could really use some help finding parts which would also boost sales of the Fall Hershey Program book and usage of Facebook Marketplace & Craigslist. 

=============================

BTW, I had a good laugh when I read about the vendor(s) who got upset about people taking photos of their stuff.

I took a LOT of photos of some items along with the vendor space location tag and texted that information to other car enthusiasts I know. Some were at Hershey and went to look at and/or BUY the items. Other friends could not be at Hershey so I offered to buy the items for them. In some cases these photos/texts resulted in SALES. So next time maybe these vendors need to think before they bite the hand that is feeding them SALES.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 48woodie said:

Why can't the Vendors park in the regular parking lots like the rest of us.

Less parking more swap spaces.

Mike

I was hesitant to get involved in this thread because it really is not going anywhere.

Yes there would be more spaces............... empty ones  and a lot less vendors! I for one would be one less vendor who buys 5 spaces and share 4 other.  if that were the case so you think we should hump ours tuff back and forth across the street everyday, and pay to park after we already paid for a vendor space..... I have an idea maybe we can carry everything you purchase back to your car this way it would be even easier for you. It is a hobby and even us vendors are hobbiest also. I don't mind my neighbors at Hershey who camp there, I look forward to seeing them each year. 

Here is thought, buy a program and look for the vendors who might have what you're looking for and you can save some steps. There is no admission fee for spectators so what is there to complain about? You get in for free.  If you don't like the $8 milk shake then don't buy it.   

2 hours ago, 48woodie said:

MCHinson,

Which regulations are unenforceable ?

Mike

You can't control when a vendor might close his or her space for a short time. You insisted that all vendors have to be open from start to close each day. Some vendors share a space so someone will be available most of the time. Some are run by individuals. A vendor might not know when someone in his or her group will be available to staff their space. When an individual vendor needs to go get something to eat or has to go to the porta potty, they can't plan when that will be with much certainty.

You also suggested segregating vendors by hours of operation. Totally impossible.

Maybe you would be happy if they just closed the Red Field. It appears that all of your photos were taken in the Red Field. Did you go to any of the other Fields? Wednesday-Friday, I covered most of the swap meet. I was tired on Friday afternoon and skipped most of the Red Field. I usually start in the Chocolate Field and Red Fields early in the week and work my way towards the Orange Field by Friday. I am usually so tired by the time I make it to the Orange Field on Friday that I don't think I am as good at spotting stuff in the Orange Field as I was earlier in the week. This year, I decided to do something different and started in the Orange Field and worked my way back towards the Red Field by Friday.

It may have worked for me because I spotted something that a friend wanted in the Orange Field on Wednesday afternoon. He was able to get over there Thursday morning and was waiting when that vendor opened and bought what I had spotted for him. 

Now, I remember why I hesitated to wade into this discussion. I hate to try to help someone and then feeling like I am being personally attacked for having responded.

I have made some suggestions for improvement of the swap meet here on the forum in the past. Suggestions for changethe  to Hershey Fall Meet will always receive a lot of scrutiny. Minor changes might be possible but you can't make significant changes without a lot of thought to the potential unintended effects. Something that has been running for 50 plus years has reached a point that many things have been tried and discarded because they did not work as well as hoped.

It works. It may not be perfect, but it works. If it did not work, people would not attend. There were lots of people in the swap meet fields that I was in.

I found great deals on several items that I needed this year. I got some even better deals on some things that some of my friends needed. For both of the past two years, I have found multiple  items at Hershey for local friends who could not attend. Each year, my friends were happy with what I found them and the good prices on those items. I had fun. I was tired when I left for home. It still beats buying stuff online. I look forward to next October.   

I agree with some of most points made,i agree, this will go nowhere. I stayed at the booth all week, and we do have a motorhome on the spaces. We Open at 7,close when the traffic dies down. I will pay 8 bucks for a shake if I want one, The  bikes, golf carts, With young, healthy guys got to go. You see a man ,barley walking, needs a cart. And a 20 year old flies by him, that is sad, seen it.The older guys are looking,younger guys are balls out,going to hurt folks

• Like 2

well this has been a lively discussion, with many great points.

I have to agree, who buys an 8.00 milkshake? I walked up to the Pretzel Factory vendor for a pretzel and was expecting a buck for what costs 50. cents anywhere else, and was told 3.50 for a pretzel!  I just laughed and said, no thank you, that is ridiculous!

Mike, you are a great disrupter and I really do agree with everything you say. Point on you are and I congratulate you for NOT holding back.

What always gives me a great chuckle are the folks who say Hershey has great food!  Are you kidding me?  edible at best. Many of you must eat TV dinners every night......  :)

for ALL of the above reasons, I will not be attending Hershey any longer and decided that at the end of the show.

I understand this is an impossible show to run and do applaud those who make the effort.

I buy a few hundred dollars of parts on ebay every week and nothing like finding rare parts so easily. So yes, ebay is my preference and choice for purchasing.

In any case, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE !

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Hershey DOES have great food.  In my camping trailer.  At my two spaces where I vend.  Cooked on my trailer stove while enjoying a toddy...chicken and rice with mushrooms, butter seared T-bone, bacon and eggs for breakfast....fabulous stuff...

• Like 2

I think the people who are upset with the flea market in Hershey have come up with the correct solution. Maybe you should stay home and let the rest of us enjoy the meet as it is.   John

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John348 said:

I was hesitant to get involved in this thread because it really is not going anywhere.

Yes there would be more spaces............... empty ones  and a lot less vendors! I for one would be one less vendor who buys 5 spaces and share 4 other.  if that were the case so you think we should hump ours tuff back and forth across the street everyday, and pay to park after we already paid for a vendor space..... I have an idea maybe we can carry everything you purchase back to your car this way it would be even easier for you. It is a hobby and even us vendors are hobbiest also. I don't mind my neighbors at Hershey who camp there, I look forward to seeing them each year. 

Here is thought, buy a program and look for the vendors who might have what you're looking for and you can save some steps. There is no admission fee for spectators so what is there to complain about? You get in for free.  If you don't like the $8 milk shake then don't buy it.   

John,

No one is saying that you should haul your stuff anywhere. Just cover it at night like the others.

How many of your 9 space are actually used for vending and how many are used for parking/camping?

My Father taught me to always end a sales pitch with a joke........thats what the "Milk Shake" is about.

Mike

Milk2.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

I have two spaces and friend has two space that are in a parallel row. Both my friend and I along with another AACA Ohio Region friend have motorhomes so we can stay on the field. We park the three Motorhomes on three spaces and use the fourth for most of vending but use space along the sides of the motorhomes for some stuff. We also take turns "watching the store" making sure everything is priced. We set up Tuesday afternoon and pack up Friday. Our location in the Red Field by the stadium is not too good for sales and I rarely sell enough to pay for the spots despite bringing a lot of parts. We stay open from 8am till 6 or 7 PM sometimes.  I have been coming to Hershey since 1970 at age 12 and vending for 20 years or so. I always make sure anyone who is in our spaces bring stuff to sell. We also let other club members and friends put out parts to sell at our tables. My only thought is to shorten the meet by a day starting set up on Wednesday so more might stay and vend on Saturday making it better for folks with limited vacation. I believe that was the case years ago. I remember at lot more going on Saturday in swap meet areas with most people leaving Saturday night instead of Friday. Generally the vendors are tired after four days and leave Friday. If we set up on Wednesday, more vendors might stay till Saturday.

Tom in Cincinnati

Tom,

So you use 3 of your 4 spaces for camping and 1 for swapping ???

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Thank you for being open from 8 am to 6pm. 

And I agree with you about changing the days from Wednesday to Saturday.

Mike

19 hours ago, charlier said:

Since we are talking about the swap meet layout maybe the following suggestions should be considered as well.

Car Club Tents on Vendor Spaces.  

How about gathering all the Car Club Tents in the Swap Meet TOGETHER in the same row(s) instead of spreading them out amongst vendors trying to sell parts???  If these tents are in a few rows, signs could be placed at the end of the rows. These signs could be nothing more than two big pieces of wood hinged at the top so they are free standing. Clubs could then thumbtack 8.5"x11" signs on this wood to advertise they have a space in the row and when their club activates are taking place. This wood sign could also note that there are No Swap Meet Vendors in this row so swap meet buyers/customers could skip the row(s).
Maybe clubs could reconsider when they hold their meetings/gatherings and have them late in the day if they are not already doing so. That way vendors who want to attend the meetings would not be closing up shop during prime selling times.

Commercial Vendors (ie Coker Tire, Universal Vintage Tire, Snappin Turtle Tie Downs, Meguiars, etc).

- How about grouping them all in rows on the same field? To some extent this is done already with Coker Tire, Universal Vintage Tire on the same field.
- How about grouping the vendors that sell trailers, trailer accessories (ie tiedowns including Snappin Turtle Tie Downs, etc) and the vendor that always has a big display of trailer tires and accessories?
- How about grouping the vendors that sell tools, sandblasting cabinets, paint equipment together? 
- What about grouping all the companies that offer services together? (ie chroming businesses, restoration companies, car radio repair companies,
upholstery companies, etc). Many of these companies/vendors come to Hershey every year so organizing them should be more predictable and thus easier.

Antique Insurance Companies. 

How about grouping these companies together (Hagerty, JC Taylor, etc). This would make it easier for their current customers to find them to conduct business. It would also make it easier for potential new customers to shop for insurance instead of walking MILES to visit these companies currently scattered ALL OVER the fields. Doing this might increase exposure for these companies and increase sales due to customers being able to find them in a much more timely manner than they can now.

Increasing Vendor Sales

I have seen a number of posts by vendors about decreasing and/or lackluster sales. If one reads posts in this forum from prior years this trend appears
to be happening for the last 5 or 6 years now. 

A couple of weekends ago my next door neighbor had a yard sale on a Sunday. Another neighbor had one as well. My next door neighbor used technology for her sale by using the Facebook Marketplace to list information about her sale and to post photos of items she was selling. Her sale was an BIG SUCCESS with 98% of her sales the DIRECT RESULT of Facebook Marketplace. The other neighbor that did not use technology had literally no sales to speak of. This example got me to thinking that Swap Meet Vendors at Fall Hershey could use Facebook Marketplace to boost their sales.

While it is true some vendors and AACA members do not have smartphones I saw PLENTY of vendors and buyers using smart phones this year.
Do vendors even know about Facebook Marketplace? Do they have any clue as to how posting some of their items on the Marketplace would open them up 
to a MUCH BIGGER potential customer base and attract YOUNGER Customers whose money is just as Green as us older folks? What about using Craigslist to advertise your vendor space at Hershey? There is a Swap Meet section on Craigslist that I see some people use for Fall Hershey and Carlisle. One again ,use Technology to Work Smarter Not Harder to make it easier for customers to find the products you are selling WITHOUT spends 2-3 days walking 15-20 miles.

Those vendors that are not familiar with Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist could seek out younger family members or friends that could help them post information about their Swap Meet space goodies that are For Sale.

Better Information for all Fall Hershey Attendees - Information Signs.

How about posting signs at each of the Main Spectator entrances to the swap meet?  One sign should include the RULES OF THE SWAP MEET. IE no riding of bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, etc. Making an announcement over the PA systems every few hours is Okay but that is SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH.

Another sign might simply post the question... Looking for parts, accessories, etc???? The Fall Hershey Program available for purchase
has a comprehensive list of vendors and is available for purchase. This sign could also tell people to check out Facebook Marketplace and/or the Harrisburg Craigslist site to see Fall Hershey Vendor information.

If posting these signs at all the spectator entrances is too much them post them in High traffic areas (ie where the main groups of Food Vendors are located and/or at both ends of the footbridge).

People who have NOT been to Fall Hershey much before have No CLUE AT ALL about the rules and could really use some help finding parts which would also boost sales of the Fall Hershey Program book and usage of Facebook Marketplace & Craigslist. 

=============================

BTW, I had a good laugh when I read about the vendor(s) who got upset about people taking photos of their stuff.

I took a LOT of photos of some items along with the vendor space location tag and texted that information to other car enthusiasts I know. Some were at Hershey and went to look at and/or BUY the items. Other friends could not be at Hershey so I offered to buy the items for them. In some cases these photos/texts resulted in SALES. So next time maybe these vendors need to think before they bite the hand that is feeding them SALES.

Thank you Charlie,

These are great ideas.

I hope someone from the Hershey Region Fall Meet planning committee is reading this thread.

Mike

Just a quick hit here.  Everyone should know that the choice of food vendors and their prices are nothing that the Hershey Region or AACA control.  That is the sole purview of HE & R.  Nor does the region or AACA get a percentage.  Just to make this subject clear.

As to the now famous or infamous milk shakes.  If they were the ones on the Chocolate Field I had two!!!  I have no idea what they cost but they were delicious and calmed my upset stomach down.  Well worth the price.

Got to a race at Charlotte or Daytona, go to a baseball game or football game and look at the prices!  It is the nature of the beast, fair or not.  I am sure expenses are up to do these events for the concessionaires with weekends and the like but I agree prices are not inexpensive.  I also wish there were more vendors  with a few more healthier fares

• Like 2