Flushing Hydraulic System

Ryan Q

Can anyone offer some insight on the process of how to flush the hydraulic system on my '47 convertible -- system is still working fine but it's over-due and this isn't something my teacher covered in auto-shop (and the Ford service manual just says I need to do it, but no advice on how.) 

Thanks,

R

I probably should have been more specific, this would be for the hydraulic windows/top  (brake system I have covered) -- is there a specific procedure to flush this system?   To be honest I have yet to see where the ram for the top is located (not that I've looked very hard for it.) That would be the furthest point in the system I would assume.

Ryan:

Old brake fluid really gums up, you may not be able to save all the lines.  I had to replace several lines, rod out some with an old speedometer cable, and do my best flushing the top cylinders.  I also gave up on the pump under the hood after several attempts, lines were also plugged, and got a '60 pump that fits under rear seat.  I now use NAPA tractor hydraulic fluid for top lines. Smells a lot better than auto transmission fluid. 

Abe

Well the system is still free flowing and functioning, lines were replaced during a late 80's/early 90's restoration as best as I can tell and appear to be in very good condition.  I'm just trying to work out the best practice for removing the current hydraulic fluid and replacing as I know what's in there has been in place for some-time. 

This is from the 1949-1951 Overhaul Manual. I am not sure if this will be the correct procedure for your 47, but it should be similar.

Flush the hydraulic system each fall by:

Lower all windows

Move seat to rear position

(it doesn't mention the top, but you should probably lower it also)

Remove the ground cable from the battery

Remove fluid reservoir from power unit, empty reservoir and clean it with alcohol

Refill to the fluid level marker and install it

Connect the ground cable

Operate seat and windows several times to remove air from the system

Lower all windows and move the seat to the rear position and check the fluid level.

• Like 1