My "new" 1941 Buick Roadmaster 71

Dynaflash8

I've looked for a  year and a half for a 1941 Buick Roadmaster and I finally found one and settled on it.  It is currently an all original car with 59,000 miles on it.  The interior material, plastic, steering wheel and woodgraining is pretty much perfect.....pristine.  The trunk interior is the best I have ever seen....material is faded some but not dirty or oily, or even stained.  The tire well still has the cardboard liner, and the black painted spare tire hubcap is there.  The exterior shows wear and the engine area is messy.  The wiring under the hood is original, but currently without any black tape or breaks in the insulation.  The owner before the owner I bought the car from put on modern radial tires and the wrong hubcaps.  The car came with almost a full set of good pot metal chrome which I can install and go HPOF or have it plated.  Personally, I would like to restore what is needed and just go Driver Class.  I think HPOF would cause me to leave too may things that need repair to make the car look good at five feet.  I don't yet know which way I will go.  I will have to paint parts of the car, but I've said now for two years as my Wildcat has languished in a paint shop that I will never repaint another antique car.  Maybe I will be tested.  The car gets picked up in North Carolina, hopefully tomorrow and will be delivered in Florida a week or so later.  Hershey was wonderful to me.  I spent more money there then I ever have, especially with Lynn Steele Rubber, because all of the door weatherstrip on the car was mostly melted from age and NC heat.  Wish me luck.  I can't wait to get those tires and hubcaps off the car.  Bob's Automobilia had a whole set of correct hubcaps too, and I found a NOS rear bumper from him as well.  P.S.  I know the car looks down in the front, and I hate that look, but it's parked downhill in this picture.59dca72a9de14_NC41BuickRMsideview.thumb.JPG.fe59244a0a050e8ddd85adf9675d674a.JPG

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Great find. Drive and enjoy, fix what needs fixing when it breaks. Don't go looking for extra work. Time is short, enjoy the ride. Nobody will judge you by the condition of your car and if you're having fun, that's what matters. Make it safe and reliable, then get on the road. Perfection is an overrated goal that eats up time and money and never pays you back.

Diamondback radials will make that car drive like new. Perfect for touring. I'll never go back to bias-ply. I promise you'll love the look and the way they drive.

59dd38629bd05_IMG_20160818_1931566051a.jpg.808d1acb95bc48ea77ee2f41fd75f954.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely car, but I have a '41 Roadmaster too, so as I've said to others before, I'm partial to them. It looks quite nice, and the originality you mention is hard to find. I will also make a comment about the tires, like Matt did above me. I have wide white Diamond back radials on my '41 Roadmaster coupe, and love the way it drives. For me, it would be hardship to go back to bias ply. The look is certainly a bit different from bias ply's, but the drive is much better. Though, of course make your own choices and enjoy the car. They are great driving cars either way.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Great find. Drive and enjoy, fix what needs fixing when it breaks. Don't go looking for extra work. Time is short, enjoy the ride. Nobody will judge you by the condition of your car and if you're having fun, that's what matters. Make it safe and reliable, then get on the road. Perfection is an overrated goal that eats up time and money and never pays you back.

Very well said!

• Like 1

To Matt Harwood and others above who have mentioned tires.  I talked to all of the tire dealers at Hershey and the least expensive tire was a Lincoln Highway (or the successor name) from Universal Tire at $202 each.  But, my 41 Roadmaster phaeton drove terrible with those on the grooved Florida roads.  Diamondback is offering a 700R15 which is a replacement for the old 7.00x15 bias that was original to the Roadmaster.  They are something like $299 each which causes a gulp, but you get what you pay for if you can afford what you pay.  I think I can afford five of those.  They come on the Yokohama modern brand, which I understand is a good tire, although I'd rather have had Kumo or Toyo, only because I've used them.  Some brand I've never heard of called Auburn is also in process of making that size for Diamondback.  I'd like to ask, does anybody have an original set of 1941 Buick Roadmaster wheels?  The owner before the owner I bought the car from changed to a wider 1949 wheel because he thought the radial tire was wider. 

Congratulations Earl, so this explains the mile wide grin on your face when we met at Hershey last week.  Sounds like my kind of car and I think Matt hit the nail on the head several times with what he said above. Take care of any mechanical necessities to make it safe, comfortable and dependable to drive and don't worry about the cosmetics too much. 

Glad you found what you've been looking for, now just ENJOY!!!

I've got to do a little cosmetic fixup to make it a five foot away looks great driver.  Anybody who knows me knows I like a car that looks good....a car that doesn't beget too questions of "why didn't you do this or do that?"  And for me, almost any car must have skirts, except my high school throwback 39 sedan.  And I paid dearly for a nice pair of skirts at Hershey.  The car came with new rubber stonepads for the rear fenders.

50 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

a car that doesn't beget too questions of "why didn't you do this or do that?"

I've gotten used to the nit-pickers due to my line of work. I always enjoy Hershey where the "experts" come out and tell me how crazy my prices are or how certain parts of my cars don't measure up. My response is usually, "Where's your car? Let's go have a look." After that it's just a bunch of stammering and excuses and "Well, I didn't mean it, you know, I was just talking..."

Learn to ignore the guys with the big mouths. They usually have the small brains to go with it. Who cares what other people think and if they ask stupid questions, well, I've always looked at that as a free invitation to give them a stupid answer. It's actually quite liberating.

Get in and have fun. Time is too precious not to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hand them a pad and pen, SAY, WRITE THAT DOWN FOR ME, I WANT TO REMEMBER YOUR COMMENTS, AND BE SURE AND SIGN IT.

Makes me wonder, do they go up to a grandmother holding hands with her granddaughter, and say, SHE ISN'T VERY PRETTY.

Mother always said, "there are more horses rear ends than horses".

Dale in Indy 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've gotten used to the nit-pickers due to my line of work. I always enjoy Hershey where the "experts" come out and tell me how crazy my prices are or how certain parts of my cars don't measure up. My response is usually, "Where's your car? Let's go have a look." After that it's just a bunch of stammering and excuses and "Well, I didn't mean it, you know, I was just talking..."

Learn to ignore the guys with the big mouths. They usually have the small brains to go with it. Who cares what other people think and if they ask stupid questions, well, I've always looked at that as a free invitation to give them a stupid answer. It's actually quite liberating.

Get in and have fun. Time is too precious not to.

Matt, I am a National Awards Judge with 247 credits under the belt.  This time I do want a driver, but real nice authentic driver.  No more 2plus year paint jobs for this 79 year OLD man.  That said, I did get around Hershey pretty good this year.  Excitement helps old bones. :)  There are certain things I want on my car.  One is decent chrome....not really replated necessarily, but definitely not all pitted.  And to put the skirts on I have to repaint the back fenders and install the new rubber stonepads.  If the stonepad moldings for the skirts hadn't come with the car I would not have bought it  I don't intend to paint the engine, just clean it up and install rocker, side pan, and oil pan gaskets.  I hope I don't need a clutch.  New tires and hubcaps.  My wife is 78 and I think still beautiful (251 judging credits in Administration) but she doesn't go out without lipstick and jewelry, and until only a very few years ago, high heel shoes.  So a little ooh and ahh for my car at it's age is something I like too.  Over my last 54 years in AACA and BCA (51 years) I've built a bunch of Seniors and also recently a National Award winner.  Now I want to have a tour car that meets my idea of what a driver should be.  I'm not interested in HPOF, barnfinds, etc.  True, they are only original once, but they didn't come worn out, any part of them, ever.  So, I will fix whatever part is worn out or worn thru and let it go at that.  A new friend, CCCA Director, sold me a gallon of real Acryllic black lacquer at Hershey so I could fix the worn through to prime spot on the trunk lid, and the spilled anti-freeze spot and run on the right front fender.  I can't leave that sort of thing alone and say "well, it's original" because it isn't original......it didn't come that way.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Earl, this is a wonderful car, listen to all the great advice that has been given to you, especially what my friend Matt Harwood has to say.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person at the CCCA tent at Hershey. Once you get your car sorted to your satisfaction ( the fender skirts on!) share with us some more photos.

Walt

I like your sentiments, Dynaflash. Though I can get too fussy as well at times, my '41 is very much a driver. It looks good, and I get many compliments on it, but it wouldn't stand up too well under BCA judging, but that's not what I did it for. I love the car, the, technology, performance and the style, comfort is nice too. Most of all I just want to drive it!

Keith

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

I like your sentiments, Dynaflash. Though I can get too fussy as well at times, my '41 is very much a driver. It looks good, and I get many compliments on it, but it wouldn't stand up too well under BCA judging, but that's not what I did it for. I love the car, the, technology, performance and the style, comfort is nice too. Most of all I just want to drive it!

Keith

I APPRECIATE THIS TOO!

Life is short, enjoy what you have and make the most of it! :)

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

Earl, this is a wonderful car, listen to all the great advice that has been given to you, especially what my friend Matt Harwood has to say.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person at the CCCA tent at Hershey. Once you get your car sorted to your satisfaction ( the fender skirts on!) share with us some more photos.

Walt

Walt,

Thanks for he can of paint first and carrying that thing all the way to the CCCA tent to help my old bones.  I have to ask you, and this is off the Buick subject.  But, is there any possibility you are somehow related to my wife's favorite country & western singer, Vern Gosden?  :)  Now on to a couple of interior pictures of my '41 Buick Roadmaster.  Keep in mind this whole interior is untouched from the factory.  That includes perfect wood grain, upholstery, plastic and trunk interior with cardboard liner in spare tire well.

NC 41 Buick RM perfect tirewell w orig cardboard.JPG

NC 41 Buick RM interior 11.jpeg

NC 41 Buick RM interior 6.jpeg

41 Buick RM dash 2.jpeg

NC 41 Buick RM trunk.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

but I've said now for two years as my Wildcat has languished in a paint shop that I will never repaint another antique car.  Maybe I will be tested. 

I'm with you on this statement 100%. Told wife if I ever talk about taking another car to a body shop just shoot me. By some odd circumstances if I ever find it necessary to paint another car, I will build a paint booth, study up, and do it myself.  

That 41 is simply a stunning example. Congratulations!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Nice car Earl, very nice car!  I'm jealous that you are ready to drive right now.  

No, in my opinion it is not ready to drive right now.  In fact it will be picked up Wednesday in NC and delivered directly to a restoration shop nearby to where I live in Florida (O'Hara Restorations).  I have written up a short list of repairs I want them to do before I drive it.  For one thing it rains here every day this time of the year.  All I've done for the last three days is try to clean up my garages that took on 2-4 inches of water during the hurricane.  I got the 71 Riviera and the '39 Buick convertible sedan running and out of the garage yesterday.  I put the Riviera out into the sun for 10-15 minutes while I was installing a new garage door remote code (had to open the garage door opener on a ladder.  Well, it rained!  Got the car all wet and the sun was back out that quick.  I had to wipe the car down before I could put it back!  I hate this place, but it's too late to move back to Virginia.

But, I'm off subject.  The '41 Buick weatherstrip has become molten.in some places and dried up in others.  So, first job is new weatherstrip before it goes outside.  Also, the gas gauge does not work....solid on empty.  Now I know a Buick will pass everything on the road but a gas station, but this one says it's empty when full.  I got a new sending unit from Bob's Automobilia at Hershey.  And I got a gas gauge this week on Ebay.....I just hope they don't need to use that.  Finally, the rocker arm and sidepan cover are leaking oil pretty good, so I will have new gaskets installed, and while it's there I'll have them drop the pan and clean it out, put it up with the third new gasket (all bought last week from Bob's at Hershey) and put in new oil and grease the chassis.  I'll just have them degrease the the engine.  It has the black underpaint and spots of the red still remaining.  I don't want to detail it until I'm certain in my mind that I don't want to enter it into the "original" judging category.  I certainly don't want to remove the engine so they can just make it pretty as new anyway.  THEN, it'll be ready to drive.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is that photo above of your glove-box lid showing engine-turning that is original (no restored)? If so, could you measure accurately the diameter of each 'circle' swirl of the engine turning please? Alternatively if you hold a ruler on the lid and take a close-up high-resolution photo for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to restore mine and I live in Australia so don't have the opportunity to see other 1941 Buicks.

Edited by Grant Z (see edit history)