Should I buy a old car even if I don t know how to fix cars yet?

adrienne223

I've noticed that very few of our recent

opinions answer the poster's question

of a newcomer repairing cars;  and in 2 weeks,

she hasn't been back to continue the conversation.

All the conversation is in the air without reaching her.

I hope she returns--she'll be amazed at the responses, 40 to date.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

It took me 46 years to truely apprecite old retired car folks. 

This year I bought my first vintage car. A 1953 Chrysler. I love the damn thing. I have 30 years of experience fixing and maintaining my own cars. One, because I enjoy it. Two,  because I won’t pay someone to do what I can, or want to learn to do. 

This year I joined my first local vintage car club. I looked around the room. I’m the youngest person there. 95% are retirees with a love affair for old cars. 

These folks are so awesome. No drama. No attitude. They are cool to coach younger keeners like me. They are not pretentious. They don’t stare at themselves in a mirror at the gym for 4 hours a day. Lol. 

They weld. They troubleshoot. They fix and restore old cars. They are ex-mechanics and ex-machinists. They have shops and awesome tools.  They have gobs of experience. Very importantly they have patience for the right respectful, younger apprentice who wants to prevserve vintage automobiles. 

It’s so very true...Old guys rule. 

Join a club. Pull everything you can from the club members. Advice and help. Be thankful, grateful and respectful. In due time you’ll have little trouble maintaining an old Datsun 280Z. 

Good luck whatever you choose. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2