1956 322 Engine and Rebuilt Dynaflow

Long Roof

Buick 322 and Dynaflow transmission removed from a 1956 Buick Century wagon. The transmission was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago, the engine ran fine but has not been overhauled. I was saving this for a project and it is no longer needed. Time to clean house.

The engine coms as shown in the picture and has a 4 barrel intake with Carter 4 bbl 2085S carb. The starter switch on the carb works. Drivers side exhaust manifold is the hard to find dual exhaust manifold. Engine comes with both exhaust manifolds, rebuilt starter and generator. NOT included are the air cleaner, spark plug covers, power steering pump and brackets. The water pump is new. Some of the freeze plugs have been replaced as they were rusted through and leaking.

Sold together for $1200 which is less than I paid for the transmission overhaul. Local pickup only. I have and engine lift and can help load onto your trailer or pickup truck bed. Located in Decatur, IL.  Send a PM with questions or more information.

1956 322.JPG

• Like 2

I am south of you in the Greenville, IL area.  I am having a tough year with medical issues, but of course hope to be  good to go next Spring.  I have a 1956 Special.  Runs well currently.  If you don't get any offers, don't do anything rash.  Don't know that I could afford that amount, but keep me in mind.

napa.jpg

Edited by rowan782
additional info (see edit history)

Rowan,

Work on getting over the health issues. Get back with me then and if I still have them we will work something out.

By the way, that color combination is what I have on my wagon now. I really like it. Our two cars would show well together.

Steve

Buick.jpg

• Like 2

I am primarily a wagon man myself, was looking for a wagon when I found this hdtp.  Tahiti Coral/Dover White - my wife fell in love with it too !  .  My first car was a '57 Special ragtop (in 1965).  But I have had a 1955 Dodge wagon, 1953 Chrysler wagon, 1955 Ford wagon, 1949 Plymouth wagon.  Love wagons, don't know why, maybe because Dad had several.  Thanks.

Edited by rowan782
More info (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, I just joined this forum. I'm working on a 1956 Buick special 2 door hardtop. Already got the engine running. Someone pulled all the bolts out of the torque converter instead of just the 3? So it dumped fluid everywhere when it fired. Fluid looks severely burnt and particulates in it. Need to pull it to re seal it ,but no guarantee that it will run. Looking for a known good dynaflow transmission. Did you sell yours yet??? I'm in Sacramento. But first things first. Looking for one, got a wanted ad on CL. Thanks!! 9169550161

IMG_20180505_113640442_HDR.jpg

Look up the engine balance stuff as well, the buick engines are apparently balanced by/with the torque converter, so its a bad thing if the crank moves independently from the torque converter.

No one warns about this until its to late

I have a 1 in 3 shot of getting it right

I have one left from a 40 some thousand mile car, one tab where the flywheel dust sheild bolts on is broken. Never drove the car,  but the fluid is clean with no burnt odor. Can ship via fastenal, just sent one to Canada. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ttotired said:

Look up the engine balance stuff as well, the buick engines are apparently balanced by/with the torque converter, so its a bad thing if the crank moves independently from the torque converter.

Are you referring to the 1953-1956 Buick V8 engine that is the topic of this thread? I'd be interested in reading the article. Where  can I find it?  Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ttotired said:

The early nailheads were externally balanced by the harmonic balancer and the flywheel/flexplate.  Anything attached to the front or back was neutral balanced and has no effect on the overall balance.

For the record, approximately the first-half of all nailhead engines built during the 1953 Buick production run did not have a harmonic balancer. They were internally balanced. Change points are noted in a BPSB.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2