Hershey Car Corrall 2017

cutlasguy

We lucked out with the weather this year.  I didn't have much money so I only cruised the car corral quickly at Friday on noon.  Some empty spaces so I'm sure some good stuff sold.  It must take a long time to get all those photos and a whole lot longer to post them.  

Xander.  there was a 31 or 32 Auburn Cabriolet at the first booth you come to when coming into the chocolate field gate all the vendors used to enter and exit.  It was there with a bottom line Price tag of 65G  first thing Wednesday morning and still there when I walked out at 1:00 on Friday.  I didn't get any photos of it.  Black needing paint for sure,  tired old interior and whooped chrome.  Seemed to be priced higher and in worse shape than any of hte ones I have been interested in, over the last couple of years.  

Was any headway made in finding the thief that helped himself to multiple pre-war radiator caps in the Car Corral?  This was the '32 Lincoln KB shown above (already missing its cap in that photo).  There was also a '14 Cadillac that had its cap / motometer stolen, in addition to others I heard about.

WP_20171006_10_44_59_Pro[1].jpg

Wow, that stinks. I know the Lincoln and the owner. I'm paranoid about that and usually remove hood ornaments for the night when I can't be there. I had the '41 Buick there, which is wearing a full set of insanely valuable bumper ends (currently trading hands for $1000/pair for a good set), and I kept expecting to show up in the morning and find them gone.

Sad that this happens, but ever since I was a kid, I remember owners of high-end cars removing hood ornaments for the night when we were on tours at random hotels. You'd think Hershey would be safer, but then again, there are more people there who not only know what these things are worth, but who also might be in need of such parts...

Thanks so much for the tour!!!!  Could not be there this year.  My wife had a foot operation so I had to stay home and nurse.  Sounds like you had perfect weather!!.  I'll be there next year.

Thanks again.  Coalter Paxton,  Wilson, North Carolina

35 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You'd think Hershey would be safer, but then again, there are more people there who not only know what these things are worth, but who also might be in need of such parts...

I'd also submit that the place is crawling with hired support staff, non-car people, that have ample opportunity to case the joint.  If there were a better way to look at it, I'd sure hope it was an outsider rather than one of our own.

Oh, and there's one that cutlasguy missed:

Voyager.jpg.973eba44cbff883bf67b89d35146b922.jpg

Not sure how to police such things in the car corral, but it was plainly obvious that the guy wasn't trying to sell it--it was the beer wagon for him and his buddies.

Our car was rifled through, vandalized, and damaged while we left it in the car corral. Since my first meet in 1971 we have NEVER had a problem. We put up a commercial tent and run a nice large display of parts and cars. This will be our last year of doing the tent/display/car sales. We have had enough. Weather was great, people were wonderful, but the cost of doing the show........hotels,trucks & trailers, fuel, tolls, time before - during - and after the meet make it far to expensive for any return we can generate. Sad but true. We will still attend, and visit with friends, and go on the hunt............but our retail days are over. Thank you all for Support at out tent for so many years! Ed

Folks actually leave their cars over night in the corral????????? YOW! My car sold on Wednesday but the plan was to lock it up in the trailer every night and then show it on Saturday. I don't think I would sleep a wink knowing it was sitting out all night......................Bob

• Like 2

If I can't park a car at a show or meet without worrying about it, I will never go to another again. I regularly drive and park some of the most  rare and unusual cars anyone could imagine at local grocery stores, restaurants, clubs, and sporting events. If you don't use them, you might as well collect rocks. Cars are meant to be driven, shared, and enjoyed. You CAN NOT do that with them in the garage or trailer. Ed

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I regularly drive and park some of the most  rare and unusual cars anyone could imagine at local grocery stores, restaurants, clubs, and sporting events

I know a local restaurant in South Philly. Care to meet me there some night in one of your cars?.......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

You would have thought that there would have been enough security people at the car corral.  After hours there should have been no reason for anyone to have been in the corral.  I assume there is lighting all night long and security should not have been all that hard.  I sure hope it wasn't any of the people that   were staying on the field.  There was a variety of cars there but I don't think that there was more than twenty prewar cars in the corral.  There were more of these for sale in the individual spaces on the field.

The only thing I can think is the car corral does sprawl out over quite an area,  so it would be hard to patrol the entire thing and have an eye on every car all night long.  There are vendor spaces pretty close in some areas where someone could hide unnoticed.

Sad to see some spoil it for all.  Makes you want to live in the old west some days where the punishment for theft was swift and usually rope burn around the neck or lead poisoning.   The punishment alone was quite often enough deterrent for all but the hardened criminals.  

10 minutes ago, dei said:

AS STATED EARLIER GREAT PICTURES! THANKS!

One observation, from what I have seen so far, no "58 Buick's?

There was a 2 door Limited in the Green field in great shape.

And a rather rough but mostly complete 58 in the Chocolate field. Sorry Doug, I failed to get photos of either but I bet Pete Phillips did.

• Thanks 1

Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks for posting that.  I never thought to get a picture of it.  

That photo does make it look better than it was.   Now I know why a guy that approached me to use my cars in advertising said don't worry.  They will look really good on film,  when I told him they were far from perfect. 

I also realized when I looked at that car.  Boy an Auburn 31-33 era really needs to be tutoned along the belt line to make them  stand out. 

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Agree, but it definitely fit in the "you could drive it for a long while " category I think.   Problem is most I think would prefer it shiny, and getting there will be expensive...

I wouldn't have a problem sprucing it up and using it mostly as is,  but the price needs to reflect one in that condition not one in notable better shape with 5,000 or more in fresh chrome and much better paint. 

From what I have seen it was probably closer to a 45,000 car.  Had I had the means (not having to invest my savings in the new garage) I would have given it some serious thought in that range.  Others must have agreed that even at Hershey 65G  was too much.  Not sure if the price was less on Friday PM than the quoted Wednesday morning 65,000  bottom line.   I like them better with Steel wheels as well.  I know they offered them with the wood as shown,  but they just look a bit odd and old on a sporty 30's Car.  

Thanks for the photos though.  I was able to show it to some Friends.  I'm kind of surprised the wife didn't get one of it. 

I like that model also, Seeker,  but defer to your knowledge of the market, I know you have been looking for a while. ...  At $45k though, wheels would be turning, so I guess the high price kept me from expending too much energy on it.  I might be inclined to change the wheels as well.  :)