Stromberg AAV-1carb throttle shaft

SteveBigD4

I have taken my 1938 Buick 40-41 Stromberg AAV-1 carb. apart for a complete rebuild.  I had done this once when I got the car back in 1980 and at that time I noticed a bit of bushing play in the throttle shaft.  It didn't appear to be enough to warrant repairing it but now there is significantly more play, perhaps .010" or more.  So I took the shaft out and found that the shaft itself is made of brass and runs in the cast iron throttle body.  The throttle body bore measures .280" and the shaft is worn on one side in the bearing areas and reads .275" in the unworn plane and .271" in the worn plane. 

All of the rebush kits I can find are either for 3/8" or 5/16" throttle shafts and I believe the shafts are steel running in brass or bronze bushings.  The throttle body bearings do not seem to be very worn but the shaft itself took the wear.  It appears to be about impossible to find a new or NOS AAV-1 throttle shaft which has the accelerator linkage staked onto one side and a tab machined into it on the choke end. There were all changed from 1939 and up.  I was able to find a brass 1/4" ID X 5/16" OD bushing which means I could drill the throttle body out to 5/16" and ream the bushing out to .275", but the throttle shaft would still be out of round and have more clearance vertically that horizontally.  It is possible to turn the brass throttle shaft down on a lathe to .270" to get rid of the eccentricity and ream the new bushings to .270"?  

What have others done for this problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve D

IMG_5950a.jpg

IMG_5951a.jpg