West Peterson

Mirror re-silvering

Benefits of AACA Membership.

No easy answers West, I had gas headlamp reflectors resilvered years ago but the guy who did it was working mainly with restoring antique furniture and had his own setup. He has "retired" now.  You might try some antique dealers who restore furniture for some ideas.  My daughter works for a glass company and they replace rather than restore.  The mirror companies they deal with do not do small individual projects.  I'm told the chemicals used are not so easy to come by these days for an individual.  Here is what I was told by a good local class company - if you can get the old one out intact for resilvering, then you should be able to get a brand new mirror installed without any problem. 

Terry

Hi West , if in the (unlikely ?) event that you can't find a commercial company to do the silvering , you could contact your local amateur astronomy club. Some members need to have their reflective optics aluminized , and will know who does it in their region. Although I have never done it , silvering the back side of a mirror can be done by yourself. I would be somewhat hesitant to suggest this though , because , if memory serves , one step of the process does produce fulminate of mercury which is a percussion explosive. Aluminizing is an evaporative process which needs a high vacuum chamber , not a normal tinkerers toy. Some clubs do have their own apparatus for small optics made "in club". If you go for aluminizing , make sure to inform the coater which side to coat. Ask what paint you should use on the back side to protect the thin layer of aluminum. I hope this helps you and others.    - Carl

I had my day/night mirror resilvered by; Ron's Corner  27169 State Hwy 6  Winston, MO64689   660-749-5473.  He has been advertising in Hemmings for years and I was pleased with the outcome.

Carl

I have had headlight mirrors resilvered at Bear Glass in Brooklyn NY.

Good work within the past  two years.

Bob McAnlis

Chagrin Falls, OH

Spray-on chrome is really just a form of mirror re-silvering.   You might want to contact one of those services and see if they can help you.

10 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

I had my day/night mirror resilvered by; Ron's Corner  27169 State Hwy 6  Winston, MO64689   660-749-5473.  He has been advertising in Hemmings for years and I was pleased with the outcome.

Carl

Me too and VERY pleased. Quick turn around.

Ben

• Like 1

Chaudron Glass in Baltimore re-silvered my beveled 1937 interior rearview mirror at a very reasonable price.

410-685-1568, chaudronglass@comcast.net

One word of caution:  I have been told that rearview mirror silvering is somehow 'grayed' so that it won't reflect headlights so brightly at night.  I have no idea if this is true.  The re-silvering on my mirror is the same as on any mirror.