Convertible top replacement- vendor recommendations?

Guest Dylan W

Hi! I have a 1948 Continental convertible. I just purchased it from Indiana, and I'm the third owner. The original convertible top is torn in several places and bleached nearly white from sun. I live in LA, can anyone recommend a shop or a source online for a nice replacement top? I'd like to match the original but I've heard that switching from cotton to acrylic helps with bleaching. All recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Tops online has them, one has a plastic rear window (incorrect):the other will be covered and you will nead the window glass frame for the rear as well as the glass, then have someone cut the top and install the glass. 

I think a much better solution would be to find a local trim shop that can make your top. Each 41 was a bit different, so the only way to go for a perfect fit is this route.  Make sure the trimmer you choose knows  these tops inside and out. I’m confident you will be able to source this without much trouble. Use the original material, Haartz cloth. It really is up,to you into how you go, stock or not.

Tom

Edited by Tom_Overfield
More info (see edit history)

The tops for the 1941- 1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet are unique, the 1940 Lincoln  Continental Cabriolet top

is really unique- Tom can attest to that. The biggest thing is  DO YOUR HOMEWORK!  It sounds as if your top is a rough

original top--- GOOD!.  These are 3 pc. tops, one center panel and 2 side panels. No tack rails over the rear window and 

no tack rail over  front windshield header. As Tom , mentioned , the rear window is a framed glass . The support traps

should be still in you car. Do you still have the top boot? Don't let a trim man try to talk you into something you really don't

want. Are you restoring the car or just putting together a good runner? Do it right the 1st time--- it is less expensive in the

long run.  Post some pictures, a lot of people would like to see your car---Larry Butcher