Can we talk about skid plates?

Hazdaz

This is probably a non issue for original cars, but my '64 is lowered and I smacked into a raised manhole earlier today.  It was one of those hits where you feel it in your bones.  It dented the oil pan and I hope that's it.  It didn't look like it was leaking.  It's too dark to check on the damage tonight, but I'm thinking maybe I should be installing a skid plate just for safety.  

Any of you folks know anything about this?  

Mount some heavy casters on each side of the crossmember just where it curves up. That should do it.

There was a post by someone wanting to install rear disc brakes. Maybe you could put zero turn mower wheels on the front and use the rear disc for steering.

Bernie

17 hours ago, KongaMan said:

How low is your car?  And how high was that manhole?

Manhole was about 1/2" or more higher than the oil pan.  

Car is not that low, but holy crap was that a hard hit.  It wasnt just the manhole cover.  The road bowed up in that region and the manhole cover was at the very middle so you wouldn't  think much of it, but because the car is so wide but the road narrow, it clearly didnt make it.  I actually think a lot of cars would hit on that road as well.  The oil pan on the Riv looks like steel which is probably the only reason is survived.  Modern cars typically have aluminum ones and it would have been ripped clean off.

I was actually driving it earlier today and the steering is definitely off now.  It's pulling to the right, which is something it was definitely not doing before.  

Roads in beach towns tend to not be the best, so a skidplate for some added safety seems like a good investment.

A skidplate is going to give you even less ground clearance than you have now. I would raise the car up some or put air springs on it so it

can be raised up when driving, then lowered back down for parking lot cruising. As an aside, every car I get in my shop that has been permanently lowered

in the front has everything underneath beat to a pulp. Where I live every parking lot and a lot of residential streets have speed bumps that even my stock height Riviera won't clear without taking them at an angle.

• Like 2

Been considering the same thing....I've waylaid a filler at a gas station pretty hard when the sun was low and in my eyes, but just on the front frame crossmember.  I've measured my car vs a factory '65 and it's actually over 4" lower than stock.  Never been a problem and I can go over speed bumps fine at an angle, but sometimes "things" happen......

trip8.png

riviera9.png

Edited by Black River (see edit history)

I believe Bill Mitchell himself was a fan of lowering the car....I'm sure if they'd have had the technology to do so, they would've come like it from the factory. Exhibit A is the Silver Arrow l. The man even had the top chopped to make the car lower, and I'm sure he would've liked our cars to look like that from the factory. Bill was a car customizer, like us "morons" that turn them into our own expressions. Most people aren't willing to put up with some compromises to get the car to look it's best. I am.

• Like 1

Now how the heck do I delete my profile?....this board is just not for me. My suggestion to you all after I figure that out is to embrace the younger guys that customize their cars. Without them the Riviera will just go by the wayside in the future with the generally more age advanced owners of them. Its much more open and willing to help on almost every other forum I'm on. If guys like kongaman and tough guy Bernie (seriously Bernie, find a different way to stand, sit, and talk so you don't come off like a tough guy wannabe in every single post and pic) don't like what someone posts, they don't comment on it like a smartazz.... and go on debating what the stock color of door lock knobs were, which guys like me don't comment and bash on.

10 hours ago, Black River said:

I'm sure if they'd have had the technology to do so, they would've come like it from the factory.

My '64 was built 5 years before they put a man on the moon, Technology was at a fairly high level. And my Riviera is the lowest car in my garage.

Before I put the new springs, gas shocks, and new suspension bushings in, it was lower. I'm 5' 9", which is pretty tall considering all the Irish blood in me. Here is before I did the suspension work.

Saggy springs on 78 series tires.

0033.jpg.6a18984500f78e253b09bcc8dc3b43f4.jpg

Actually, '68's and 66's were low as well. Especially for a guy who keeps the same pose for decades.

002.jpg.2b360731d373573d681950252b48d31e.jpg

014.jpg.defa6ddabf9e318b3a3c3f46240567dd.jpg

Bernie

12 hours ago, Black River said:

Now how the heck do I delete my profile?....this board is just not for me.

Black River, I sure hope you don't follow through with that as your beautiful mild custom is one of my favorite Rivieras here and I and others for sure enjoy your posts. May I suggest just leaving some of your sensitivity at the door and ignoring some of the sarcasm displayed here sometimes. I am sure none of it is meant to hurt feelings and as you know the Buick world is full of all different kinds, customs, hot rodders, purists.... who all have their opinions and like to express them sometimes. Just look over the likes of ol Burney, I do, after all he is only 5'9". :D But he's a great guy and like all of us, is one of the family.   

Plus there are some extremely knowledgeable members here with a wealth of knowledge, whether it is related to originals or customs. So hang around and just enjoy. 

• Like 1

Yeah, what he said. I like custom cars and street rods a lot. As you can see, my Rivieras have been quite low at the git go. The skid plate idea stuck me as kinda funny. My Riviera used to share the garage with this. Now, that's skid plate material: http://mvpimages.net/willys/show.htm

Today is my birthday, 69, and I am going to meet a Buick friend for lunch. On the way back it is going to be very hard not to stop and hand over the cash for an abandoned '59 T-Bird convertible project I have had my eye on. IF I do pull the trigger, that car is going to be quartered and remounted on a late '90's Lincoln Mark VIII platform. I am very intrigued with the concept.All the stock owners aren't the stereotype.

You don't think I bought that new MIG welder just to patch my truck, did you??

Bernie

Oh, I forgot. That moon day technology, I use it often. In some very techie situations. It gives perspective.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Black River said:

Now how the heck do I delete my profile?....this board is just not for me. My suggestion to you all after I figure that out is to embrace the younger guys that customize their cars. Without them the Riviera will just go by the wayside in the future with the generally more age advanced owners of them. Its much more open and willing to help on almost every other forum I'm on. If guys like kongaman and tough guy Bernie (seriously Bernie, find a different way to stand, sit, and talk so you don't come off like a tough guy wannabe in every single post and pic) don't like what someone posts, they don't comment on it like a smartazz.... and go on debating what the stock color of door lock knobs were, which guys like me don't comment and bash on.

BlackRiver,

Don't go jumping off the bridge too quickly.  I echo the sentiments of MrEarl.

I have a lowered Rivi (mild kustom) and I've learned that classic car guys are pretty set in their ways.  I've always lowered my classics...all two of them!  Haha.  The last car was a 66 Impala.  I come to this board knowing that people are going to have opinions, good and bad.  I understand you're wanting to defend your tastes and things like that but I think when you start doing so, you give others an "in" to keep prodding.  Hey we all do it...I do it to my wife!  But at the end, we all have a common passion...the Riviera.  This is a public forum and it's gonna happen.  Just take the high road.

As far as Bernie goes...I've been around guys like him and if you sat down and had a talk with him, he's just like you and I.  He's a little unfiltered at times but that's what makes him, him.  I don't know the guy, I just know him from his board posts but if he's anything like some of the older gents I know...then he's good people.

I hope you stay because we lowered rivis, bad springs and all, gotta stick together.  BTW, i'm lowered the right way...in the rear at least.

Chris

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, first64riv said:

I come to this board knowing that people are going to have opinions, good and bad.

Let's just say different, neither good nor bad.

The cars that I've had that I want to remain stock ride at stock height.  The cars that are somewhat altered ride a little lower.  

I do recall that someone, maybe on this forum, saw Bill Mitchell once and told him how nice his RIviera was now that it was riding on wider tires and had a lowered stance.  Apparently Mr. Mitchell lit into him saying they designers spent a lot of time getting the stance and the profile JUST RIGHT and how could he desecrate the original lines.

Me and an ROA buddy of mine from Norway, spent a good hour or so looking at Silver Arrow I when it was on the grounds at the ROA meet in Eureka Springs in 2005.  We noted a ton of differences (upwards of 50+ over the production model,)  but we didn't think it had been lowered.  It looks low because 1) the top is chopped (fiberglass with a ridge running down the middle) and it's longer than a stock Riviera  The front fenders are longer between the bumper and the wheel arch so that the hood could be pan caked.   Compare the bottom of the rocker to the bottom of the wheels on SA1 and a stock Riviera, they both ride at the same height.  

Ooops! Am I still leaning on my cars?

004.thumb.JPG.bb6a0bf60421e4a006c92981e383a732.JPG

First day of my 69'th year and still standing by my car likeI did in 1974. Maybe it's the Fruit of the Looms. My Dad used to give me a hard time about that.

My cheerful attitude and eating at the China Buffet is going to keep me around for a looong time.

That story about Bill Mitchel sounds like me. I bet Bill could say it using those bad words you aren't supposed to say, and then smile when he walked away.

"Hey, Bill, can we talk about skid plates?"

Bernie

Look to the lowrider truck guys for skid plates. You can get them with custom alloys to throw massive sparks too. Seems pretty fun to me. You can also get large plates of Delrin plastic, which might be a better choice. You'll eventually have to replace it, but I think it'll be worth it. Conversely, if budget allows, you can get large plates of Teflon. I've seen a couple of low riders with blocks of plastics to ease dragging.

Blackriver, you gotta remember this is a "restorer" website, so expect resistance. Riviera's are high ranking cars for customizers and lowriders. I believe there's as many custom ones as stock ones in existence right now.

My "Big Picture" plan (many years from now), is to have a 2" chop, forward sliding doors (parallelogram hinges connected to a CNC bed guide in the doors), a reverse opening hood, a full length console, 64 Thunderbird seats (front buckets also in the rear) and an early 60's deep dish Olds steering wheel. I don't think it would be popular here, but it's my vision, for my enjoyment.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm all for everyone totally customizing their Riviera. Each time this is done the value of my car

goes up a little. What terrifies me regarding my old cars is that someone will do that to my cars after I am gone. That is

why I never sold my 69 GTO convertible that I have owned for 46 years. I knew that it would either get wrapped around a tree or turned into

a custom if I ever sold it to someone. One thing I have noticed  is that people who keep an old car for decades generally leave them stock.

Custom cars tend to change hands every few years. My theory is that people who heavily modify cars get bored with their mods or get to the point

where there is nothing left to modify, or their mods make the car very unpleasant to drive then they buy another stock car and the cycle begins again. Now where did I put that Summit Racing catalog? (NO OFFENSE TO YOU CUSTOMIZERS ON THE FORUM, JUST PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO MY CAR AFTER I AM GONE......

I WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU!)

Wow, I leave for a few days and it seems as though all hell breaks loose in here!  Wasn't trying to start WW3.

Quite honestly I don't care if anyone likes the "restomod" look of my car, because I absolutely love it the way it is.  But I can also appreciate the stock look as well of course since that's how the car was originally made.  And as with most of my purchases,  I won't settle for "stock".

Black River, when I get home I'll have to get the tape measure out and see how much lower mine is from stock.  I don't think mine is lower than yours, but I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to.  How high is it from the ground to the top of the front wheel well on your car versus a stock Riv?

And as I mentioned before, this (I hope) is a random fluke, but because some of the roads around here (its a beach area) are not the best, i rather be safe than sorry.  I know a skid plate would actually make ground clearance worse, but if I rather scrape up a skid plate than bash up the oil pan.  

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

I'm all for everyone totally customizing their Riviera. Each time this is done the value of my car

goes up a little. What terrifies me regarding my old cars is that someone will do that to my cars after I am gone. That is

why I never sold my 69 GTO convertible that I have owned for 46 years. I knew that it would either get wrapped around a tree or turned into

a custom if I ever sold it to someone. One thing I have noticed  is that people who keep an old car for decades generally leave them stock.

Custom cars tend to change hands every few years. My theory is that people who heavily modify cars get bored with their mods or get to the point

where there is nothing left to modify, or their mods make the car very unpleasant to drive then they buy another stock car and the cycle begins again. Now where did I put that Summit Racing catalog? (NO OFFENSE TO YOU CUSTOMIZERS ON THE FORUM, JUST PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO MY CAR AFTER I AM GONE......

I WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU!)

Your Riv would look amazing in a chunky metal flake green, with a green velour interior!

JOKING!

It's only in the last 20 years that older American cars have gained any monetary value. When I was a teenager in the 80's, 60's vintage cars were all over the place. They were cheap to buy, and fell in the hands of people who didn't value them. Consequently, they were beaten to death and junked. Hell, in the early 70's my dad used to buy tri-5 chevys for $100, drive them until they died, and moved on to another one. No one would do that now, because they've increased in value so much, only a person who loves one, and has a good paying job can afford one.

No one is going to buy a 69 GTO cvt for 15 to 30k, and drive like an a-hole with it. Only a handful of major shops could afford to buy one, and then customize it. So these cars are being priced into protection. My Riviera was already painted and had the interior redone (well enough, not great) in non-factory colors. It needed those things when the previous owner got it too. So it became a reasonable candidate for modification at $9k. It was just a generic Detroit issued Riv, just like thousands of others. To buy a 30k one, or a real GS, still in it's original paint and interior, and modify that? No car enthusiast has that kind of money to waste. Because all their money is in other cars....

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Those reverse opening hoods are good.

They take people's attention away from the roof being cut off.

There's a 4dr one at my local pick-a-part. I need to get out there and get that hinge setup before a mini-trucker guy grabs it. It's a very well thought out, simplistic arrangement. I believe it could support a Riv hood.

1 hour ago, Hazdaz said:

And as I mentioned before, this (I hope) is a random fluke, but because some of the roads around here (its a beach area) are not the best, i rather be safe than sorry.  I know a skid plate would actually make ground clearance worse, but if I rather scrape up a skid plate than bash up the oil pan.  

I have a problem with my mustang rubbing tires, and it's not really because of the bumps, but rather the momentum of the car when I hit the bumps. I have to slow down well in advance, to keep the tires from biting the fenders. Difficult to explain. FWIW, it's not much better in the socal desert. Most of the intersections have huge gouges cut into them, from cars dragging. We like them low here.