Matt Harwood

1941 Buick Limited Limousine

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

is it possible that the rear two or three cylinders have been running super hot while coolant was 165 degrees and the engine ran perfectly all the time?

Is there a fitting somewhere near those rear cylinders where you could temporarily install a second (aftermarket) temperature sender and gauge?  Then you could see what's happening as you drive.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

Is there a fitting somewhere near those rear cylinders where you could temporarily install a second (aftermarket) temperature sender and gauge?  Then you could see what's happening as you drive.

The back of the block by the firewall has the port for the factory temperature gauge, which has never worked on my car. I initially thought it was because the aftermarket gauge's sending unit took its place, but no, it's just broken. I have an NOS temperature gauge to install this is the time to do that. I'm not sure what is in the port for the sending unit, probably the original gauge's bulb--the rest of the unit is just hanging there. I don't know how accurate the factory gauge is, but maybe before I install it I'll do some testing with some boiling water to at least get a frame of reference. 

The more I think about it, I don't think anything is wrong temperature-wise. There's just no way that thing could run that cool and that well in such hot weather and still be cooking a few cylinders. If that header tube was coming undone due to heat, why aren't the ports on the cylinder head burned? The engine paint is far less tolerant of high temperatures than the ceramic coating. I think they just screwed up the coating and it's coming undone. I'll either have to paint it on the car or remove it (oh God, I don't want to do that) and send it to Jet-Hot to be re-coated with the good stuff. 

I'll post updates on everything as it progresses...

• Thanks 1

Matt, you say the temp bulb goes into the block?  I have never owned a 320.  The 248/263 is in the head. And many of those have been broken needlessly.  Many folks do not realize the bolt  hole for the rocker stand directly above is a through hole. A longer bolt than factory is some times used and contacts the bulb, sorta locking it in place.

Ben