Are You Driving a 'Barn Find' That Still Looks 'Barn Found'?

Real Steel

Are you driving an original 'Barn Find' that still looks 'Barn Found'?

Dusty, very dusty...down right dirty.  Old paint.  Feed hay and chicken feathers.  LOL.

Not restored.  Not a rod.  Not a rat.  Not a resto-mod.  Not a replica.  Not a custom.  

Its hard to find other folks with the same approach.  Am I sooo far out there with this?

If you're into the same thing, please post your photo here so that I don't feel so lonely :) 

Here are my last two vehicles (1925 Dodge Brothers, 1931 Ford):

413.JPG

Side view at school.jpg

• Like 9

Great thread!  Heres mine.  Good bones but last restoration probably 50 years ago.  They did remove the body I think,  despite its failing now the paint job was very thorough.   Replacement interior and a great but tattered white top.  

Cannot decide to restore or leave it.  If anyone is interested in giving an opinion I am considering 3 approaches;

1) leave as is, and focus only on mechanical upgrades & maintenance 

2) restoration to as found colors etc.

3)restoration to 30 Standard roadster specs

Engine is a 31, color is not correct for a Standard so it's not a Virgin like some of the others on this thread.  

20170106_132733.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Lots of that sort of stuff here. This pic is at Fairlie, on Irishman Rally 2017, held in early winter. Of the 140 cars in the event more than 70 were Ford As, and probably about a quarter of those were in 'barn find' or worse condition. Lots of fun though. Our 1929 (Canadian) Plymouth had a cheapie repaint in the 1950s but still has the original paint on the fenders, and its original interior, although the radiator and bumper had been re-chromed before we got it in the '90s.  Now at 80,000 miles it has had its rear end rebuilt - new bearings etc. Pic taken in 2014, but it was on this year's event.

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Real Steel said:

...Dusty, very dusty...down right dirty. ...

Your cars look good, Mr. Steel.  

Cars in the HPOF class are always interesting to see;

but I'm glad that you and other owners at least wash them

after you bring them out of their hibernation.

There's nothing historic about dirt.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Your cars look good, Mr. Steel.  

Cars in the HPOF class are always interesting to see;

but I'm glad that you and other owners at least wash them

after you bring them out of their hibernation.

There's nothing historic about dirt.

LOL.  I like the freedom of not washing. :)  It's a perk with these types of cars.

BTW, dirt is made from the oldest stuff on earth, at least 5 billion years old.  Most of it is not historic per se, but it's old...as old as...you know what.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

These are not mine but see them yearly at the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show.

The owner found them separately in the condition you see (which unfortunately is not a good shot).

They both are Willys Knight roadsters with original tops and seats.

59c30722c0d9f_OrphanCarShow-TwoWillysKnightBarnFinds.thumb.JPG.ace9b920b7de633fa83dbbe76103815e.JPG

Clearly, shiny paint doesn't always become a hit! :D

• Like 4

1935 Ford V8 Pickup as seen in the back cover of the Early Ford V8 Times  Sept./Oct. 2010

Found in Wisconsin 1990, made driveable and enjoyed for 30 years as found.  Story was the farmer's kids used it in 

Holloween Parade and painted "BOO BROS." on this and a 36 Ford Flatbed, the trucks were the brothers.

I took it to a AACA National Show and was rejected for HPOF because there was no P in it (Preservation).  For me the

fact that it was still a usable vehicle was all the P I needed.  Painted with a broom in 1970 probably saved the body

and Flathead V8's can run forever.

I've hauled engines, bricks, lumber, dirt ,sod & junk, because that's what trucks are for.59c310222e9ea_CoverShot.thumb.jpg.a883bdbe026dc43b811c00600a8dbd3b.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Updated years of enjoyment to 30 (A 3 year old post) (see edit history)
  • Like 11

My '47 Dodge, owned 26 years and daily driver the past few. My wife has a modern but if I'm not out in a Model T or other oldie this is it for me.

Repainted 1975 by the second owner (I'm #3) it is utterly original inside. I rebuilt the engine winter of 2011/12 a few months before this first photo was taken along the Alaska Highway. We've driven it to 37 US states, all four coasts of North America, climbed Pike's Peak and got our HPOF designation at Hershey.

Second photo was taken on the ice road to Tuktoyaktuk, the furthest north one can drive in mainland Canada.

47D Alaska Highway.jpg

L1g Tuk Ice road deep crack copy.jpg

• Like 16

This 1936 Oldsmobile isn't mine, but I know the owner.

He has owned this car for almost 82 years:  He got it 

new in December of 1935 and still owns and drives it!

It had been been his everyday car until 1956, and from some

point in the 1960's on, it had lain dormant in a garage

until he resurrected it.

His ownership has been longer than that of Allen Swift,

the much publicized Massachusetts owner of a Rolls-Royce.

The late Mr. Swift had his car for 77 years.

No need to trace the chain of ownership of an 81-year-old barn-find

when YOU are the only owner for those 81 years!

20150522_103114.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chris Bamford said:

My '47 Dodge, owned 26 years and daily driver the past few. My wife has a modern but if I'm not out in a Model T or other oldie this is it for me.

Repainted 1975 by the second owner (I'm #3) it is utterly original inside. I rebuilt the engine winter of 2011/12 a few months before this first photo was taken along the Alaska Highway. We've driven it to 37 US states, all four coasts of North America, climbed Pike's Peak and got our HPOF designation at Hershey.

Second photo was taken on the ice road to Tuktoyaktuk, the furthest north one can drive in mainland Canada.

47D Alaska Highway.jpg

L1g Tuk Ice road deep crack copy.jpg

"Dusty, very dusty...down right dirty."

• Like 1

1933 Graham, brush painted in the 80's interior is fair, engine keeps getting better! 

My Grandfather sold the Graham in about 1952.  It went to a collator car buyer/seller and sat under a Mulberry bush unsold for 10 years.  Then he moved it to a barn for about 20 years.  He gave it to a friend looking for a restoration project around 1980, they dug it out of the straw pile.  The guy never got the brakes to work and brush painted it yellow.  It was traded around 1990 for another car, and got brush painted black, it had a Subaru gas tank strapped in with a brown leather belt when I got it.

1933 Graham in Winona.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

i love all these pictures of real unrestored pre-WWII cars.cars.   There is a couple in town with a 1930 Model A Ford that they drive daily.  They serve as our car locators because everybody with an old car stops to talk to them.   Then a  couple of us will go out an see if we can gettheir cars running and ask them if they would like to do local tours with us.  We've met some wonderful people.   Everybody has an old car storyto tell and questions to ask.  It's great PR for the hobby.  

When we used our 35 Ford Pickup (Pictured in  a previous post #12) on the Hulk Hogan movie, "Thunder in Paradise", they sprayed on fake dirtwhere it was to shiny for the scene supposedly in Cuba.  I just left it there.  

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re spaced (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We have the derelict, 57 3/4 ton 4x4 IH we drug out of a pasture a couple years ago, still have brakes to do before it's road ready. 

A neighbor gave me the Buick after 20 years of pestering him about it. Brush painted in the 70s, and a 51 super engine was rebuilt and dropped in it then and never started. His grandfather blew the car's 2nd engine in 1954 and it was parked till the 70s then my neighbor started rewiring the car with all #8 green wire and when he got to the dash he had a huge bundle of green wires. He got slightly confused and back in the shed it went till I pulled it out two years ago. Re-rewired it, pulled the engine apart for fresh gaskets and fresh assembly lube and I've been driving it since.

20160607_181042.jpg

IMG_20160420_200952.jpg

• Like 4

662AD9BC-656E-4C2C-AD58-42285585C98F-3164-0000063CF3CE8B77.jpeg.fe24394d2ae1dc8408959d51e12aa9a5.jpegNot sure if this qualifies as the engine, trans, brakes, wiring and interior has been rebuilt. The interior would rip every time I sat in it. 42 years in a barn. This is original paint but buffed out and washed regularly. 38 Studebaker State Commander 

• Like 6

Thanks to all that posted photos of their driving 'Barn Finds'.  Its great to see so many!

It looks like there aren't many 'Barn Finds' here in southern California...not a big surprise I guess.  It's mostly new cars, restorations, rods, rats, and customs; that's how they roll here.

• Like 3

I touch mine up with a brush when I get nicks.

Batavia1.thumb.JPG.af492a6729dde521a24fe8936486e91e.JPG

The left front fender has some spots that look like the battery blew up once and shot acid all over. I picked up a quart of white lacquer to paint it, but after 16 years I'm a little hesitant to risk a two tone white on white car.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OK-- Here is another one of my cars. Was up on jack stands when I went to look. Had battery problems, dried out tires and the interior is really SHOT. But after electrical sorting out, tires (a used set from another car)  and brakes, it runs like a --- well -- Like a Cadillac

WP_20151212_005[1].jpg

• Like 4

OK---- Another one: This 1960 Rambler Town and Country station wagon was a "one owner" that had been in the garage of the little old lady that passed away. Seems that someone that ended up with the house pushed the car outside where it sat neglected for years. Last registered in 1971. I saw it when I was in the neighborhood and was able to bring it home. There are ZERO dents in this thing and the interior is well-----quite saveable.... Engine was stuck, so I rebuilt it. But the original condition is going to be difficult to change.. I want the next owner to see how straight this car is.

WP_20170925_006[1].jpg

• Like 3