Can you recommend a steering gear rebuilder?

eulcon

I'm working on my 1936 Dodge 1/2 ton and have gotten to the point where i need to do something about the steering gear box.

I have at least 6 inches of play at the steering wheel, which makes driving down the road a little scary (and dangerous).

I'm sure this has been touched on in the past but cant find it in the search.

Could someone please recommend a place that rebuilds steering gear boxes?

Good, fast and cheap would be nice, but I'd settle for just good.

Thanks!

1. Adjust it. You might find that even adjusted, there is play at the middle and it binds at the ends. That can't be fixed without a lot of money.

2. Diagnose it. Get your assistant to turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering. You will probably find the shaft the steering arm (a.k.a. Pitman arm) attaches to moves sideways. Get that rebushed and it could take out a lot of movement. It took 2" out of mine. Note if the steering column and wheel goes up and down; it should not if you have adjusted it properly. Once you have ensured the bearings on the steering post-worm are good and the sector shaft is bushed to a small tolerance, you have finished on the steering box (assuming you replace the seals too). If no good, find another. Or spend a lot of money on a new worm and sector.

3. Look for movement in the rest of the steering gear - steering arm ball, drag link ends, tie rod ends, king pins, front suspension.

On mine the sector shaft moved. I had it rebushed in a local machine shop that has knowledge of old cars (judging by the tin in the driveway!). You might also need to repair other parts of the system to get rid of that much movement.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Thanks for the help ... I really appreciate it. This is obviously not my area of expertise.

I'm all for adjusting it if it will save me a buck.

I pulled the steering gear box from the car assuming I'd be sending it off for repair.

1) The adjusting screw (pic 1) looks like someone took a pair of vise grips to it (it wasn't me).

2) The screw looks like it's screwed in pretty far already and I can't get it to turn.

3) There is no side to side movement in the sector shaft where it exits the box (that's a good thing).

4) The rest of the steering system is surprisingly tight and the whole problem lies withing the box.

5) Curiosity got the best of me so I took the cover off.

6) The inside (pic 2) is packed with what looks like old wheel bearing grease (is that correct?).

Is the brass adjusting screw the only adjustment i can make?

Should I replace the adjusting screw and see what happens?

Thoughts/comments? :mellow:

Thanks again!

Gear1.thumb.JPG.64dd64d5d70d08846163e6f865e9f5be.JPGGear2.thumb.JPG.08a8cc889b0c81a13a54f30cadd6977b.JPG

The steering shaft end play adjustment is made with thin shims between the housing and the end cap.The '36 cars I have all show a little play in the centered position which goes away when turned but is most notable at the end of rotation. I don't think any steering extends to the full rotation of the gear as turning radius can be adjusted with the king pin lock bolts.

In my experience that adjusting screw (brass in yours at the moment) has a lock nut on it. Maybe later ones did not? Or the brass screw is a replacement - there appears to be no thread left for a lock nut. I think mine have steel screws, too.

The earlier ones also had an adjustment to move the steering shaft and sector towards the worm. I can't see that on yours. You have column end float (shims, as above), the sector shaft length-ways setting (the brass screw), maybe you don't have the third adjustment by 1936?

Thanks to all for the help ... I really appreciate it.

I feel a little more confident that should try to do some adjustments myself.

For now, I think I'll follow JFranklins advice and a give it a good cleaning and replace the adjusting screw and go from there.

Thanks again!

Looks like you're making progress!

If you decide to seek professional re-building services, I can recommend Sam at Done Right Steering Systems in Ira Township, MI.

I've never needed his services for anything earlier than the early 50s, but it's worth a call.

Done Right

6660 Meldrum Rd
Ira Township, MI 48023