Interesting Early Modifacation - Pierce Arrow

edinmass

Car was located in a little town just north of Richmond, on the east side of I-95, south of Fredericksburg.

I don't remember the name of the town, but the directions seller gave me had me go east off I-95, get on a secondary road, go through a little town, cross a river bridge just east of town and his home was just past the bridge.

The seller's father had toured the car quite a bit in the 1960's and 1970's in the area, from what he told me..

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE- It's running! It will be at Hershey either at the Pierce Arrow tent in the Red field, RCH 38-40, or the car corral. Almost everything is working. Runs and drives like a dream. No smoke, great oil pressure. Runs cool, generator charging fine, we will get the rest of the parts on it tomorrow. Running lights, brake light, back up light all work. New set of used tires..........doesn't that sound like a great used car dealers sales pitch! Steering and front end are tight, brakes work well. It's starting easy and running smooth. Oil pressure is 32 LBS at idle after one hour running in th shop. Looking forward to running it fifty miles or more in the morning.......stay tuned! Ed

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG

IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5814.JPG

• Like 1

We figured it's been that way since before I was born, who are we to change it? It's amazing how well it runs, and we were thinking of keeping it. Then we started looking around the garage...............we have a big problem. We have too many Pierce Arrows! It seems that we keep finding cars we can't live without. We started counting to see how many we had from where we were working on the car next to the back door of the shop. From my location I stopped counting at nine and then add in what we have at home and our other storage building and we decided that several must go. As of right now this is one of three cars we plan to take to Hershey, but if we bring them all home we won't mind.........we like what we have. As we get older and age starts creeping up on us, we enjoy the variety of cars more than any monetary  renumeration. He with the most toys when he dies wins..............were trying very hard to come out on top! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Cool, glad you got it running with no major issues...like the picture with the one parking light on!  Are you going to post an asking price, or is that a "show up at Hershey and see it" secret?!?!

Dave.......were not done fixing it yet, so we aren't sure where the final asking price will end up. It will be reasonable, and I am quite sure someone will want it. We ended up doing quite a bit more than we expected........where have you heard that before?? 

We installed a radiator that doesnt leak, a new water jacket cover, correct bumpers and spare tire carrier,  valve job, cleaned the head, block, overhauled the water pump, carburetor, tires and tubes, etc........... it was fun to fire it up last night. We have the correct Headlight parts and hardware, and will install that today. We're trying to get everything working and make the car totally complete. We are almost there. It's almost a shame to restore this Coupe, as I think it's as much fun in as found condition as a restored car. If we keep it we will do a bunch of minor upgrades as we go along. It's so hard to find a two door car today that is CCCA eligible and not 50k. The chassis on this one is exceptional, and the car is going to be a great driver the way it is now.  

Bumpers are on, front and rear. Took it on a test drive and got it up to 60 mph. Runs and drives great. Much better than we expected. 100 mile ride tomorrow morning just to have some fun with it. Of the last ten barn finds, I like this one the best.

IMG_5816.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

Hi George, yes, it had a leather top when new. It was removed in the past for whatever reason. The car has been a lot of work, three Pierce guys on it non stop for about two weeks, 12 hours per day. As usual, we had a bunch of things bite us that were not obvious when we picked up the car. Has a catastrophic tire install failure, hurt one of the boys who knew better, and blew a hole in the new garage door we just installed. Tire came up several feet off the ground, and in a defensive reaction a buddy's hand took the brunt of the energy. He is  ok, but it was quite a blow. Things always bite you when you least expect it. It's interesting how things work out, this is probably our tenth barn find in the last fifteen years, and it's definitely the best driving and tightest car of them all. We're taking it for a long early autumn drive today, to make up for the crazy hours we have been putting in it.  

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

We're taking it for a long early autumn drive today, to make up for the crazy hours we have been putting in it.  

Sorry about the injury--I've had a few close calls when rushing but I never seem to learn.  A long autumn drive is a great reward for your efforts--I did one yesterday in the 1918, but the downside is that the drive usually adds a few items to our punch lists....

Today I'm trailering the '30 roadster over the hill (Sierras) to Minden NV (site of 2013 PAS Meet) for an all-day-Sunday memorial service/party for the wife of one of our members.  Minden will be a tad cold (28-30*F) in the mornings for driving it both ways.

Sorry about your friend........

Here are a few more interesting photos. Last oil change was May of 1954! About one thousand miles driven from May of 54 to September 2017. One thousand miles in 63 years...........We should have a hundred miles on it by the time we get it to Hershey. The more it runs, the better it gets.

IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

• Like 2

Got the parking lights and headlights working tonight, so we drove the car in the dark, which I am sure is the first time it's seen the road with the correct headlights and reflectors in more than 80 years.....it's great that you can work this hard and still have fun.......

IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

Car is finished and loaded for the trip to Hershey tomorrow. It will be in our space or the car corral. ?

As to the question of price......$27,500 or near number.

Thanks to all who asked or inquired about the car. Feel free to stop by and kick the tires. Ed

This 29 Seven Passenger sedan, all original, sorted, and a proven tour car is the last of the three cars we brought to Hershey that's still available. Probably the best intact 29 Pierce on the planet. Driven hundreds of trouble free miles on tours in Texas, New York,  Missouri, and countless other weekend tours, it's never failed to proceed, hot or cold, starts and runs like a new car. It will be in the car corral or at our spot. 

IMG_5886.JPG

Several members took time to stop by and say hello. Thank you for introducing yourselves! It was rather busy and I didn't have as much time to chat as I would have liked. Interestingly, many said the don't post too often. I would encourage everyone here to chime in, but if you like to remain in the background that's fine also. My best to all, and enjoy the Fall Meet!