Sign in to follow this  
edinmass

Interesting Early Modifacation - Pierce Arrow

Recently ended up with this barn find- aka garage find in the shop. 1929 Pierce Arrow Sport Coupe with a padded roof. Sometime in the old days, it was "upgraded" with incorrect Rolls Royce Phantom 1 bumper, and a later style Pierce trunk rack. Keep looking, they are still out there. Were hoping to have it cleaned up and running for display at Hershey.......not sure we are going to make it.

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

The gas in the tank was from 1971. Although the storage for the car was not optimal over the last 46 years, the tank was clean and rust free, and the gas had not turned to sludge like we see today. We put the fuel into the shop pick up, and it ran fine, wouldn't do that with today's fuel!

• Like 2

Cleaning up a barn find is not something most people do today, hope to see it at Hershey. The Million Dollar Greyhound is going to debut there. Bob 

My Dad was given the gas out of an inground tank a street behind our house.  All we had to do was pump it out.  It had supposedly been in there since the 1970's and this was 1994.  We hand pumped it all out into 5 gallon jugs, 20 gallons at a time and took it home,  where we put it in our above ground tank with a pump.  It was empty when we started and I believe we brought around 150 gallons home.   I ran it in my 1968 Pontiac Stratochief (winter rat)  with the Chevy 6 and Powerglide for 6 months without mixing it with any other fuel and the car ran wonderfully.  It was great to pull up to my private gas station and just fill er up.  Of course I had to pump the crank handle but hey it was free and I was 19.  It doesn't get any better than that. 

• Like 1

Ed,  don't you know that front shots are only for when you are selling a sedan on eBay?  Where are the side shots?

• Like 1

Cool find. 

I seem to only find the boring common stuff and they seem to want Pierce Arrow Prices when they are selling their non running DOA barn finds. 

I only need one good find. 

A 31-33 Auburn Convertible sedan will do! ;)

• Like 1

Really neat find! thanks for sharing this, if you do get it to Hershey where are your spaces so we can see it?

• Like 1

Hi All, I gave received a bunch of requests for more info on this car. It's nice to see so much interest in the pre war barn finds. It will be in the Red Field at the Pierce Arrow Society & Foundation Tent. It MIGHT end up in the car corral, depending on weather or not we sell two other cars we currently have. We have made to commitment to get it there, and running and driving if at all possible. We managed to locate all the missing pieces for the car, so it should hit the field complete. This car is solid as can be, just lots of patina. Having just sold my 32 Pierce coupe, I would like to make this car a keeper, but right now I just don't have the time or room to keep all my cars. Enjoy the photos. We should have taken more before we started working on it.  I invite ALL the forum members to stop by my two spaces RCH 38 & 39 near the old stadium to say Hi and take a look at the cars and a bunch of stuff for sale. Bathrooms- clean bathrooms are less than a minute away, so we make a good rest stop. Ed

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

• Like 1

Real nice find that will make a great tour car.  Where is the spare tire kept?    No side mounts and I don't see a rear tire rack.  I am sure it is not in the rumble seat. 

Did they all come through with a headlight bar, or was that added, from a "New York" headlight car? The "Million Dollar Greyhound" is based on the cost of restoration.  Bob 

Motor has been checked out, all looks good, valve job this afternoon. Pan was clean, nothing to cause concern. Thankfully no mice made their way into the engine. The car showed 53k on the clock and it has the original exhaust on it. Yes, the factory exhaust is still on the car and looks fine. We have some used tires to keep in turn with the barn find look. It's a rear mounted spare car, and the spare was removed in the old days when the Springfield Rolls Royce Phantom 1 bumper was installed. At that time they placed a 1934/1935 trunk rack on it. Made it look more modern. We have all the correct rear spare stuff in hand-no small feat to locate in less than a week. The car came from the factory with a leather roof that was removed in the past. Rear window operates fine, all the wipers and controls are with the car. Windshield frame is very nice and front glass is good. It will need two new door glass installed. Inspection sticker says 1971-1974. We were told it was last run in 71. Front end is tight, steering box is good. Will do a total fluid change. Carb has been done, as well as the water pump. Radiator has been cleaned and seems fine. The car was purchased by the second owner in 1954, so we are the third owners.  63 years in one persons hands........not often seen! 

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, the factory exhaust is still on the car and looks fine.

Ed, please photograph the original exhaust and measure the muffler, and send to Arnold for a Service Bulletin article.  It's so rare to find one with original exhaust to use as model for correct restoration!

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Cool find. 

I seem to only find the boring common stuff and they seem to want Pierce Arrow Prices when they are selling their non running DOA barn finds. 

I only need one good find. 

A 31-33 Auburn Convertible sedan will do! ;)

I know where there was a 33 Salon twelve that needed EVERYTHING and had a firetruck motor in it. That was about twenty years ago, but I bet it's still there. I could ask as I usually see the guy at Hershey. It won't be anything you can steal, but if intrested at market price you may have a chance.

I would like to find something like your Pierce Arrow.  Something that could be maybe brought back to life and enjoyed for a little while before being torn all apart and rebuilt.  I have a Cord to do already, unless I sell that in the meantime.  

Okay, nobody has asked, not even trimacar.  Where in Virginia did you find this car?  There is no county sticker on the windshield.  Almost all the counties had tax stickers in 1971. 

12 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Okay, nobody has asked, not even trimacar.  Where in Virginia did you find this car?  There is no county sticker on the windshield.  Almost all the counties had tax stickers in 1971. 

I didn't have to ask, because I knew where the car was!  It was in a little town off I-95, south of Washington DC.  Ed just beat me to it! 

As far as bringing it back to life, it went to the right place, as he and John have a warehouse full of Pierce parts to draw from for replacements.

I look forward to seeing the car together at Hershey!

2 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I didn't have to ask, because I knew where the car was!  It was in a little town off I-95, south of Washington DC.  Ed just beat me to it! 

As far as bringing it back to life, it went to the right place, as he and John have a warehouse full of Pierce parts to draw from for replacements.

I look forward to seeing the car together at Hershey!

What little town?  Dumfries, Quantico, King George, Lorton?  Gotta know....I'm a native of the area. :)

I found the car while using wifi on a Jetblue flight one morning. I was able to use wifi to get ahold of my partner in crime.........aka Pierce Arrow side kick John Cislak and got him headed out for the car by text message while I was still in the air! Sometimes technology can be helpful. I know for certain several Pierce club members were also working on purchasing the car, and several had made arrangements to come see it right away. Long story short, although we were seven hundred miles away, we got there first. It was more luck than anything else. If we waited even a few hours before we loaded the truck and trailer and headed off on the ride, we would have lost out. It was a two day drive gamble of time, tolls, and fuel. We made out this time, but Dave and other Pierce friends often beat us to cars and parts. Sometimes it just your turn. Dave got lucky earlier this year with an engine I would have liked to end up with. Maybe I should have traded him the 29 Coupe for the engine...........?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

What little town?  Dumfries, Quantico, King George, Lorton?  Gotta know....I'm a native of the area. :)

It was West-Northwest of Richmond. I can't remember the town, gps does that nowadays. It was close to the town of Orange. 

We replaced the early pot metal oil pump yesterday with a good used cast iron unit. It's a shame the car has such poor storage. While it didn't really ruin anything it turned most of the surface area on the car a haze of light rust. This is the first of about thirty Pierce Arrows that have passed through our hands that didn't have a chassis and engine covered in packed on grease and dirt. Usually the entire undercarriage of these cars are so oily and greasy you spend a month scraping it off. We are overloaded with work and on top of everything else, we decided to get this thing done for Hershey.............

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

Is this going to be sitting in the Pierce Arrow tent in 2 weeks?

At the Pierce tent on display in the Red field RCH 38-40, or in the car corral depending of what happens with another car we have for sale. Can't keep them all! Both John and I are at about maximum for our personal car collections, and I didn't post a photo of our latest acquisition, that just arrived from Ohio, but that's a twelve........and another story for another day.?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

It was West-Northwest of Richmond. I can't remember the town, gps does that nowadays. It was close to the town of Orange. 

We replaced the early pot metal oil pump yesterday with a good used cast iron unit. It's a shame the car has such poor storage. While it didn't really ruin anything it turned most of the surface area on the car a haze of light rust. This is the first of about thirty Pierce Arrows that have passed through our hands that didn't have a chassis and engine covered in packed on grease and dirt. Usually the entire undercarriage of these cars are so oily and greasy you spend a month scraping it off. We are overloaded with work and on top of everything else, we decided to get this thing done for Hershey.............

Maybe Rixeyville or a town close to it.  I should look up the names on a map.  There was a large collector for awhile in Appamatox, but he was somewhat elderly and may have closed his little museum.  He had a lot of cars in this sort of condition in the building and at home.