Vacuum advance

NC-car-guy

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Or manually rotate the plate it is attached to and then put your finger over the inlet and then let go of the plate.  If the plate returns to the original position then the vac advance is not holding.

Tastes better this way than the alternative presented by Father Buick .  lol :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is all pretty elementary.  If the diaphragm is "good", the idle speed should significantly increase under Beemon's suggestion.  All you're trying to do is determine if it "works", not how much advance it has in it (number of distributor degrees usually stamped in the arm to the advance plate).  Or if you disconnect the line to the distributor, with the engine running about 1500rpm or so, the idle speed should drop with no vacuum advance.  Whether you pressurize or de-pressurize the advance can yourself, using a reasonably sterile tube is a plus.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The bummer about a 54 is that it isn't simply a rubber vacuum line.  It's one of those horrible steel lines with a threaded fitting at each end...so it would be tough to simply attach or detach at a moment's notice.  I would do the suck test, or pull on it manually...then hold my finger over the opening to see if it holds.  If it holds vacuum, then it will release when the finger is released.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Smartin said:

The bummer about a 54 is that it isn't simply a rubber vacuum line.  It's one of those horrible steel lines with a threaded fitting at each end...so it would be tough to simply attach or detach at a moment's notice.  I would do the suck test, or pull on it manually...then hold my finger over the opening to see if it holds.  If it holds vacuum, then it will release when the finger is released.

For my own testing purposes, I've gotten some hose that slips over the fittings when disconnected from the carb base, and attached with a barbed fitting at the intake. I can see why this method would be much more tedious to do, but you get immediate feedback results.

• Like 2

Oh come on guys, If you have ever put your head under a car, then  you have worn, smelled and accidently tasted at least a few automotive fluids.  Do what you have to, spit it out, and go on.

But I stand corrected, there is no nipple for a vacuum hose to draw air on.  Take the mechanism off, and suck on it directly.  If it is clean enough, you get to taste good GM cad plating.  It has a certain je ne se qua.  I do this at swap meets to be sure a unit is good before I put my money down.

I am off to the garage, good night!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Blowing only work to test a vacuum advance if it happens to be a pressure retard unit, like on turbocharged Corvairs! Sure if there is resistance to blowing and you hear no air leaking the diaphragm is probably good, but I  want to see the arm move. Only pressure retard units will move the arm with blowing.

I use a Mighty-Vac so I can see just how many inches of vacuum are needed to make the arm move. I have had to "adjust" several vacuum advance units to make them apply at the right time or maximum pull, but not on Buicks yet....;)

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, EmTee said:

I triple-dog-dare ya!  :P

IF one can do that with the distributor still in the engine, go for it!  PICTURES/video needed, though.  

In order to compress the plunger on the canister with it removed from the distributor, a particular level of dexterity is needed.  Doing the "evacuation" method is much easier and quicker . . . if it moves at all, it's probably working decently good enough.  If one keeps the engine clean and somewhat nice in the distributor's region, with all of the heat in there, what "bad" stuff might stay in there for very long?

On those with that neat-looking tube, make sure there are no leaks at that connection, too.

Of course, if your highway fuel economy is lower than what it used to be, with all other things being in good shape, you'll probably need a vac advance unit, by observation.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Vacuum pump with gauge and this info from second change garage, which sometimes needs doublechecking, has worked for my 55.  Seems reasonable:

Vacuum Advance Data: Inches of vacuum to start plunger movement: 6.5 - 8.5
Inches of vacuum for full plunger travel: 11-1/2 - 15
Maximum vacuum advance, Dist. degrees: 9 - 10-1/2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...