Stationary Control Bracket Help Please

humber349

Hi all,

The stationary control bracket on our 1928 Buick Std 6 is shot, and we are looking for a way to replace it.

But we think there might be something missing that stops the levers moving too far. Our levers move 90 degrees on the steering wheel, but the gears on the bottom of the tubes should only move thru 45 degrees. Any ideas please?

Our bracket does not look like the picture in the 1928 parts list. 257269. Were RHD cars different or is ours the earlier pattern?

small.jpg

P1140316small.jpg

P1140314small.jpg

I don't think you are missing anything to limit the levers.  

This picture is the gears sold by Bob's Automobilia.  It shows the small gears which mount on the tubes in the steering column have teeth to move 90 degrees, just like your levers. 

The levers set up against the stationary bracket at the top.  The amount of Lever movement is set up by adjusting the associated linkages, and will move the carb throttle and distributer housing the designed amount. 

Sorry I have no solution for the broken stationary bracket, mine is broke too, and glued together.  It's main function is to hold up the bake lite plate above the levers and position the horn button.  I wish someone reproduced them... 

sg-160.jpg

On 9/15/2017 at 2:22 PM, dracenroc said:

I had the same problem, or even worse. My bracket was completely gone.

If I would have your broken bracket I would try to glue it with a modern 2-component epoxy adhesive.

Since mine was gone I made my own one...a simple construction, but it works.

58f5c60a4ac8a_StationaryBracket.jpg.1b6c

Thank you for sharing this. 

Considering this bracket is not visable, it doesn't matter what a replacement looks like.  I have been trying to solve this problem for a long time, but didn't come up with the correct "vision" of what could be done. 

I was way over thinking it, and I will be borrowing your simple and effective idea! 

Feel free! I wouldn't say its a thirty minutes job, but its not that difficult. I did it with some kind of a "try and error method". The hard part is to bend the metal bands in a correct way so that the distance to the center and the hight fits the position of the two screws. 

I used material I had laying around in my shop. 2 wood connector bands and a hose clamp.To small parts of residual material are jammed between the the tube and the clamp in order to fix the brackets correctly. There might be better ways to do this.

The metal connectors are enough flexible to correct wrong bent angels and try it again with a different length. Unfortunately I didn't notice the linear measures.

The drill hole  in the right lower corner is for no use, that part goes to the tube. Its just one of the pre-drilled standard holes on the wood connector plates. The hole for the screw is at the upper part, not yet drilled on that pic.

Stationary Bracket III.jpg

• Like 1