1917 valve guide lubrication

Bob Engle

Agree with the felt washer comment from McMaster.  They are about the size of a candy lifesaver.  1/4 inch I.D. hole but once you oil them and get them softened up they stretch over the stem.  See my valve rebuild post.

The kerosene was to keep the valves from sticking.  After winter storage I hit my stems with a shot of PB Blaster.  Only time they have ever stuck is during winter storage and even then just a couple and not every winter.  Give them a shot the day before you plan to start for the first time after storage.

Not sure if 1917 has grease cups or the fill hole for 'oil' in the rocker pedestals.  1923 has oil holes and new for 1923 are the 3 little slide doors on the valve cover to access them without removing the valve cover.  I run 90w140 up there and since I now have the felt washers since my full rebuild last winter, I still take the valve cover off before each ride of significant length (or each time I fill the gas tank ~100 miles) and I lube the valve spring retainer cups also with 90w140 since they act like a small reservoirs and hold ~ 1 cc of lube and it slowly work its way down to the washers and replenish the lube in the washer and I get some lube on the valve stem tip and rocker tip too, just drizzle a shot on each cup.  1924 Buick went to the new removable cylinder head and pressure lube to the overhead. 

Pre 1923 I'm certain lots of Buicks had their overhead lube neglected since it required removal of the rocker cover.  When did the cover start?  1918?  So 1918/19/20/21/22 were out of sight out of mind.  Buick added the 3 little doors in 1923 for a reason.  The earlier cars with open valvetrain got lubed more often but got road dirt too.

To quote my late father 'Oil's cheap son, mechanics are expensive'

Brian, you are almost right about the rocker cover.  That started with the 1919 models and the early production started in middle to late 1918.  In regard to the rocker bushing lube, I have been running 80W90 Gear Oil in the galleys on my 1920 and 1922.  That stuff seems to work pretty well and doesn't ooze and slobber too bad.  Maybe I should run a thicker and heavier lube so things will stay put longer.  Since it gets pretty warm under the cover, maybe the heavier lube will get to where it is supposed to be to do its job.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way