Advice Needed - 1953 Special Riviera

TheRev

I am going to look at the above, 2 dr hdtp straight 8 with Dynaflow.  Actual mileage unknown but same family owned since new and in original condition.  I am much more familiar with 1960 and up - Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to in this year of Buick?

Thanks

I have a 53 special convertible , only notable problem has been torque ball , first slight noise and more recently oil leak , requiring new torque ball shoe, steering bit heavy but ok , does Riveria have power would help . My 53 is still 6V electrics ,so headlights not brilliant, but overall great car . 

Would like to see some photos of your prospective purchase.

cheers

pilgrim

Haha, yeah Ben my 62 leaks oil and trans fluid and all seals have been replaced.  I gave up trying on that end.  Yep, had a Dynaflow in the Wildcat for a while, I actually miss it sometimes.....I will keep you all posted, I am viewing the car tomorrow morning.

Nice looking car - use it as-is and just learn to deal with a slight leak. No need to change from the 6-Volt, as it will do just fine if you have heavy battery cables - I use "000" (triple Aught) with soldered ends. 

• Like 1

That is a nice car.  I am attaching a picture of my Dad's 1953 Special Riviera that he purchased new in 1953. I rode home from the hospital in it.  He traded it in in 1959 on a Mercury Colony Park wagon.  Pay no attention to the cute kid in the Heisman pose.  His football career didn't pan out anyway.  This picture was probably taken in 1956-57.

Heisman pose.jpg

• Like 3

I see what you are saying, Aaron's car hsa sail panels painted same as roof.

Well, I am going to look at the car in an hour and will let you know what happens. The car was restored about 20 yrs ago and I was told that the seats were rebuilt and recovered at that time, has not been driven much since the resto.

I restored one of these a few years ago. The upholstery and door panel material has been replaced on this one and it's not correct, but nicely done. Should have a plain gray upholstery with a tiny waffle pattern in the cloth, no pleats. Roof paint color should come all the way down to the beltline molding. The 263 straight eight is a very good engine. Power steering in one of these is very rare!  I think I've only seen one with power steering in 35 years of attending Buick meets.

Purchase was made and will be bringing her home later today.  The car is in very nice condition on further inspection.  My only concern was the fact that the drive train is original, and actual mileage is unknown.  The good news about that I suppose is the fact that no once has done anything stupid to the car.  Tires are old and will need replaced along with some general housekeeping under the hood. However, for the price I feel like this is a lot of car for the money.  It is in a lot better shape than my Wildcat was when I got it, so not much scares me now.  ha.  As Marty suggested, the plan is give her a good detail, drive her as-is and deal with the leaks.  Thanks to all of you for your comments and positive reinforcement (I needed a little nudge).

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, TheRev said:

Purchase was made and will be bringing her home later today.  The car is in very nice condition on further inspection.  My only concern was the fact that the drive train is original, and actual mileage is unknown.  The good news about that I suppose is the fact that no once has done anything stupid to the car.

Good call on the purchase, and you're absolutely right.  I'd much rather start with an unmolested car with possibly worn components than one that has been restored or maintained by a hack.

• Like 1

Thanks Konga.  Love the styling of this car but man is it a different driving experience than even my 62. I find myself leaning forward and looking over the hood with my head titled backwards like a little old lady. Gotta drive her more to figure out how to get my cool factor back. Ha

• Haha 1

Well, ha, first issue has arisen. Won't hold in Park on an incline, I'm assuming it's the parking pawl. This is exactly what happened to the Dynaflow in my Wildcat. However, it seems after some research there may be a linkage adjustment necessary (at least try that first?). I didn't think there were any adjustments that could be made on a Dyna. Anyone have any thoughts on this?  

Since there is no reason the original "adjustment" should have been altered or changed, I would suggest checking the transmission mount first.  Engine mounts too.  One or more may be broken and sagging causing the linkage to be pulled out of adjustment.  Not sure about the 62, but the trans mount in these early years were two parts.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, TheRev said:

.. Curious though, is checking the linkage on these similar process to any other automatic trans?

For that someone else will have to answer or you have to read the manual.  What with all the constant changes I would not be comfortable calling out what one does on a 56 vs a 53.

There is a threaded adjustment, front to back, on the Dynaflow linkage. I've forgotten just where it is, but you  will see it somewhere after it comes out of the bottom of the steering column and before it goes into the side of the transmission. It's a trial and error thing, so adjust it, then try it; then readjust, etc.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

There is a threaded adjustment, front to back, on the Dynaflow linkage. I've forgotten just where it is, but you  will see it somewhere after it comes out of the bottom of the steering column and before it goes into the side of the transmission. It's a trial and error thing, so adjust it, then try it; then readjust, etc.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

Great, thanks Pete I will give that a shot.

Additionally, anyone have any advice on starting the car?  Having never started a car with the gas pedal, I am havin a hard time getting it right without flooding the car (and sometimes it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel).  When I get it right, it fires right up, but I have gotten it wrong more often than not.  Do you need to pump the pedal first on these and then try starting?  How far should you push down on the gas pedal - Just enough to engage the starter or do you put it to the floor?  I know this is all dependent on carb adjustment and the like, but any basic suggestions would help.

Thanks