Radiator sourcing....what's a good company?

trimacar

My '69 Cutlass radiator just bit the dust, my son drove the car and noticed a little steam coming out from under the hood, we've all been there.

Radiator shop says it will need a new core, they're putting a price together.

If I decide to go new instead, what's a good source for new vintage radiators?  I see prices from 100-800 on Internet, even some plastic tank radiators, which I know are being used although it's hard for my old brain to wrap that concept up neatly.

What are good suppliers?  thanks dc

I replaced the radiator in my 63 Starfire with one from U.S. Radiator. OEM style copper and brass and upgraded core capacity if you want it. It was an exact visual match to the original except for the Harrison name. I shopped local dealers and paid about what I was being quoted for recoring.

http://www.usradiator.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=oldsmobile+1969+cutlass

Thanks guys...each site shows a good radiator at around $400, which is what I figure I'll end up spending....the local radiator shop is getting a core price, hopefully they'll quote me less, but can't imagine it being under $300....I do give them a lot of business, between gas tanks and radiators, and in fact they asked me "is this your car, or a customer" (which is interesting, because I really have no customers!), we'll see.

Thanks for replies..David C.

I'm wondering why we can't get a new or reproduction radiator with the Harrison script on it?  I'm going to need to do the new core/original top tank thing too when eventually restore my 67 GTO.  I'm surprised to find the GTO parts suppliers don't offer one. I know that the original Harrison company eventually became a part of GM but don't know if there are any Harrison branded radiators available aftermarket anymore.

Terry

That is about what I just paid for my 1970s Firebird, also a recore reusing my original tanks.  But I was shocked to look on Autozone and find they showed one (a Spectra brand) for less than $300 that looked authentic in their photo and was claimed to be made of copper and brass(!).  They show one for your car too for $285, you might take the chance with the provision that you could reject it if it (probably likely) comes in actually made of aluminum and plastic.  Good luck, Todd C

Yes, funny you bring that up poci1957, I have a notation on my "to do" list to go to Autozone tomorrow, after seeing their listing on the Internet for one that fits for $200, one that fits and is better quality for $285.....this car used to be a daily driver, I think now for maintenance money I won't spend the $500...