1918 Buick touring Route 66 Youtube Series

Guest 1897Baldwin

Guest 1897Baldwin

Hello All: Next summer my family and I are planning a trip down Route 66 in our 1918 Dodge model 30 touring car. We are filming the whole series including getting the car road worthy as well as the planning. If you would like to follow along, Please subscribe to our youtube channel. Here is the link.

After watching the videos , looks like we are talking Dodge here. I dont quite know where to start , but feel the urge to comment. Ummmmmm , ahhhhhhh , ummmmmm ................... Oh boy ! ..................  1897' , you are a very brave and optimistic man. I REALLY respect abilities which support being able to resurrect otherwise low value highly degraded , rather barren parts cars. Particularly the guys who throw many scores (or even hundreds if your time is valuable) , of thousands of dollars worth of time and money at a lowly , rusty wrecking yard class '50s 4 door heap get my profound admiration. Saved another from scrap !!!!! This project worries me a bit. '97' , your preoccupation with fender condition seems a bit misplaced. Against the ghastly condition of the wood wheels which you astonishingly speculate may still serve , and the implications that has for the structural wood and your knowledge or lack thereof , the fenders are the VERY LEAST (other than the headlight reflectors which surprisingly could also serve as is , particularly if you know how to polish them - do you ?) , of concerns you should have. I have a couple of suggestions which could conceivably make your trip remotely feasible in the near future. That is unless you are extremely wealthy AND have quite a few good friends nearby who are intimately familiar with such cars. Would you like to hear them ?  - An old man who even back in his prime would have quaked in fear to take the path you contemplate :  Cadillac Carl at your service !                                                                                                                                        

The VERY BEST of luck to ya , bro'. You are a tougher guy than I EVER was , and I was FAR from a wimp in the good ol' days.

None other than Bill Bibb himself told me the secret. Kerosene and lampblack. Using gentle strokes from center to circumference. This handy old timer's tip was given an unsolicited second source from my very oldest (chronologically) , friend , Roy Lassen , now 93. Roy however substituted turpentine rather than kerosene. Close enough for me , a bit of an old optical fabricator who enjoys playing around with first surface mirrors from time to time.   - Carl

As I was thumb tapping , beat to the punch ! But what help can we give to 1897Baldwin ? Perhaps this is veritable child's play for the gentleman. I infer that perhaps he is well versed with ancient machinery. Old steam locomotives ? My grandfather worked for Baldwin Locomotive Company of Philadelphia , PA in the 'teens and '20s.   - Carl

There is a series of maps, put out by Ghost Town Press. There are eight maps in total, one for each state that Route 66 passes thru. The maps are very detailed and tell you where 66 is passable and other suggestions and attractions. Well worth the price, about $18.00. I used them when I drove from NY to CA.