Help with a 1925 Trans Rebuild

BlackeysGarage

Hello,

I've searched all the forums for transmission rebuilds and can't find any info on my issue, seen the time laps video of the trans rebuild and its not very useful in that format. 

Can't seem to find any exploded views of the trans either? I have the mechanics manual but the images are dark, anyway I disassembled the trans a few years ago with the intent of rebuilding right away 

but work got in the way. I have the time now and am able to reassemble the trans but cannot remember if this thrust washer was in there originally or where it goes if it is supposed to be in the trans? 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1149 (1).JPG

It looks like you already have an exploded view of your trans! Does the washer have any dimensions that obviously fit anywhere? Usually there may be a thrust washer to keep a cluster gear in place in relation to the case. You may need to keep searching for a repair manual or bulletin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

It looks like you already have an exploded view of your trans! Does the washer have any dimensions that obviously fit anywhere? Usually there may be a thrust washer to keep a cluster gear in place in relation to the case. You may need to keep searching for a repair manual or bulletin.

Haha Right! Thanks for the reply, the washer does fit in two places on the sliding gear shaft but the wear marks on the washer does not appear to match either location. 

12 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Are you talking about a Dodge Brothers? Do you have a sectional drawing of the transmission in any manual for that car?

Hi, Yes its a 1925 Dodge Brothers Trans, and I can't see anything showing this washer location. I do have sectional drawing from the manual but it does not show the washer

I'm thinking it may have been added at a later date to take up "slop" in the gears possibly? 

25DodgeTransView2.jpg

Edited by BlackeysGarage (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 26Willys said:

There should be a washer on the outside of the front bearing, but behind the cork seal. I believe that is where your washer should go.

That is one of the ones I saw.

Too late now but I fitted sealed bearings to mine.  I left the inner seals off so they could be assured of adequate  lube from trans oil.

The lay cluster on mine could be shifted to and fro and when I turned the box over a thrust washer fell out on the bench! :o

Ray.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:14 PM, R.White said:

Too late now but I fitted sealed bearings to mine.  I left the inner seals off so they could be assured of adequate  lube from trans oil.

The lay cluster on mine could be shifted to and fro and when I turned the box over a thrust washer fell out on the bench! :o

Ray.

Thanks for the reply! I thought about replacing with sealed bearings but the car has such low mileage on it and were in great shape I left them in. 

I'll probably order some new bearings for the next time I have to pull the trans. 

I would say that following the rebuild my trans should be good;  the gears are not worn too much and the bearings are all new.  I even replaced the first sliding gear which takes all the input thrust and suffers from wearing on the shaft but despite this, it is still noisy.  I have tried using heavy gear oil but it still makes a dreadful racket.  In fact it sounds like a cow calving.  :o

Ray 

Edited by R.White (see edit history)