1961 Service Manual

dlh61olds

Help me out here, I don't have a 1962 Service manual, and don't have a need for one.

My 1961 manual calls for tool "BT33-1" to set the accelerator height .

What tool does the 1962 manual specify for this job for all except F-85, including Starfire. 

I think I have found an error in the Service Manual.

Dave

Oldsmobile didn't issue a stand-alone Service Manual for the 1962 model year.  Unlike all other years, the 1962 manual is a supplement that only covers those service items that changed from the 1961 model year.  Anything that is unchanged is not even mentioned.  This means the for a 1962 car you need to have both the 61 and 62 Service Manuals, and it's a bit of a PITA.  The accelerator height adjustment isn't even mentioned in the 62 manual, so it is apparently unchanged from 1961.

More to the point, why do you think there is a typo?  BT33-1 is the Throttle Valve adjustment gauge for the Rotohydramatic 10 used on the full size cars and BT33-2 is the same tool for the RH5 used on the F85.  Using this tool to set the TV rod length simultaneously sets the accelerator pedal height.  I don't see anything incorrect in the Service Manual.  If there was a mistake, it would have been corrected in one of the Service Guild bulletins.

Joe, the 1961 Starfire supplement , page 9, indicates the tool BT 33-8 is used to set the accelerator height adjustment.

That seems incorrect. All the 1961 full size cars have the same physical dimensions except the wheel base of the 98. The Super 88 is a dressed up 88

with the 98 engine for example. Why then would the Starfire, an 88 with some special trim and a "Starfire" or 98 engine 

require a different accelerator height ?????

By the way, the 1962 Service Manual supplement covers the full line of cars, including the Starfire. There is no mention of the accelerator pedal height adjustment in that book, meaning it is unchanged from the 1961 info.

The Starfire supplement says that the throttle linkage adjustments are the same as the regular 88, S88 and 98. However, when adjusting the accelerator pedal height, Gauge BT-33-8 is used. I read that to say that 88s, S88s and 98 would use the BT-33-1 tool, and Starfires use the BT-33-8 tool. The reason for this is that some of the throttle linkage is different for Starfires than it is for other full size cars. The auxiliary bellcrank is different and the accelerator pedal bracket (that goes through the firewall) is different, as is the return spring. This is also true on '62 Starfires and 98 Sports Coupes. A '63 manual would probably specify both tools for the proper applications.

17 minutes ago, Oldsfan said:

The Starfire supplement says that the throttle linkage adjustments are the same as the regular 88, S88 and 98. However, when adjusting the accelerator pedal height, Gauge BT-33-8 is used. I read that to say that 88s, S88s and 98 would use the BT-33-1 tool, and Starfires use the BT-33-8 tool. The reason for this is that some of the throttle linkage is different for Starfires than it is for other full size cars. The auxiliary bellcrank is different and the accelerator pedal bracket (that goes through the firewall) is different, as is the return spring. This is also true on '62 Starfires and 98 Sports Coupes. A '63 manual would probably specify both tools for the proper applications.

Now I'm curious as to what would be different on the Starfire.  Same body shell as an 88, same firewall, same 394, same trans and throttle valve linkage, same 4GC carb... 

I have both tools. the BT-33-8 is about 3/16" longer setting than the BT-33-1  ???????????????

The last time I made these up I gave both tools to those who wanted them.

Looks like I will do the same if I make a few more.

User will have to decide which to use.

Dave

DAVE

My name `is jim minor I live in Minneapolis mn  but I have Kids in DENVER CO I have a 61 Starfire that I have had for years  approx.

50 years I would love to buy one of BT33-1 0r better BT33-8 if possible   my phony number 952-475-0153 my address is

17301 Ridgeview Dr Minnetonka MN 55345 my e-mailjminor1961@aol.com