Timing 62 401 Engine

jerryacheson

I thought this would be easy, but....

I just finished detailing the engine on my 62 401. My manual says to take the passenger side valve cover off (# 1 cylinder is on the passenger side isn't it?). Turn the engine over until the timing marks on the harmonic balancer are aligned and the valves on #1 are closed. Set the distributor so the vacuum advance points to where is was before I started (pointing to the passenger side rear bolt on the intake) and the rotor is pointing just to the right of the vacuum advance.

Ok; so it won't start. What's wrong with the above procedure? It appears that on both the exhaust and intake stroke the #1 valves are closed when the timing marks are aligned on the harmonic balancer. Is there a better set of instruction than what's in my Chasis Service Manual.

What am I doing wrong?

WHAT is the firing order???? Are u sure about the location of that #1 cylinder. I thot all GM V8's were odd on the left and even on the rite. (left is drivers side)

try this. lift up the distributor and turn the rotor so that it reinstalls 180 degreesfrom where it is now. if the lifters are hydraulic and bled down then it is often difficult to determine which valve is SUPPOSED to be open or closed. Push down on the rockers to determine which has the least movement. the one with the least movement is the one that would be open when lifters r pumped up.

once installed, set the timing marks where u wnat it to run. Turn the distributor body to the fully retarded position (fully in the direction of rotor rotation). NOW, slowly turn the distributor body against aginst rotor rotation (advancing) until the point JUST BEGIN TO OPEN. U will not need to use any timing light. This procedure WILL set the timing accuratly to within 1 or 2 degrees.